Hepatitis C Community
living with someone with hepititus c

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

living with someone with hepititus c

I understand the chances are extremely slim getting hepatitis c from sex.  However, I think it would be difficult not to get hepitius c after brushing my teeth.  My gums almost always bleed.  Ive been worried about kissing my girlfriend after brushing.  what is a safe way to be sanitary about this?

Thank you for answering this rather silly question
First of all, you need to find out why your gums bleed all the time. It could be lack of vitamin C in your diet. Try to eat healthier foods and foods fortified with vitamins, more fruits and vegetables.

Visit the dentist. If you have gum disease, there is treatment for it.

Don't kiss your girlfriend right after you brushed your teeth. The risk of transmitting hepatitis C in this way is pretty much zero, but is is nasty. Just wait until the bleeding stops.
I do eat pretty healthy actually.  But I suppose your right that it's highly unlikely to get it in this way.  Any other safety precautions to take besides needles that wouldn't be a problem
You may eat very healthy and still lack some vitamins/minerals. Some people just need to supplement their food. Or there might be other reasons for the problem. But I think, you should discuss this with the doctor.

You are right, getting hepatitis C in this way is highly unlikely. Precautions are pretty easy and common sense: don't share toothbrushes, razors, and anything that comes in contact with blood. Everything else is safe.

I am married to somebody who has hepatitis C for a long time. We learned about the diagnosis a few years ago. But before we found out, I shared a razor with my husband several times, and once used his toothbrush instead of mine. My gums bleed sometimes, but not all the time. But I was tested, and I am clear. So, this disease is not that easy to get. Usually, some amount of fresh blood from infected person should get into your bloodstream.
Many people have been married / living with someone for many years.  I have been married for 20 years and hubby does not have hep c.  Don't kiss her after brushing just to be safe.  I always thought that was from lack of vit C but could be wrong.

Good Luck
Denise
mike716 SVR at EOT+15, 07-19-2016. Comment
Dee1956 NEW SURVEY, top of page, pl... Comment
10356, and Dee1956 commented on 10356's status
Track your weight over time