Hepatitis C Community
low lymphocytes
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

low lymphocytes

what does low lymphocytes indicate
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
179856_tn?1333550962
Papadons you are on a hepc forum - does your question have to do with HCV?  I dont want you to think we are ignoring you it's just I don't think anybody is sure what you are asking.
Blank
1372757_tn?1305920171
Lymphocytes: A small white blood cell (leukocyte) that plays a large role in defending the body against disease.

Lymphocytes are responsible for immune responses. There are two main types of lymphocytes: B cells and T cells. The B cells make antibodies that attack bacteria and toxins while the T cells attack body cells themselves when they have been taken over by viruses or have become cancerous. Lymphocytes secrete products (lymphokines) that modulate the functional activities of many other types of cells and are often present at sites of chronic inflammation
Blank
As CoStudy has said, they're a component of your white blood cells that perform a particular function for your immune system.

I had low lymphocytes while on treatment and I was regularly tested for lymphocyte levels, as were everybody else on the R1626 trial.  When they went too low, they reduced my interferon as well.  The trial I was on mandated it.  

If you're on treatment, how do your other white counts look?
Blank
In general, lymphocytopenia (a low lymphocyte count) occurs because:

The body doesn't make enough lymphocytes.
The body makes enough lymphocytes, but they are destroyed due to an abnormal condition.
The lymphocytes get stuck in the spleen or lymph nodes.
A combination of these factors also may cause a low lymphocyte count.

A number of diseases, conditions, and factors can cause the problems that lead to a low lymphocyte count. These conditions can be inherited (passed from parents to children), or they can develop at any age.

Exactly how each disease, condition, or factor affects your lymphocyte count isn't known. Sometimes, people have low lymphocyte counts with no underlying cause.

Acquired Causes
A number of acquired diseases, conditions, and factors can cause lymphocytopenia. Examples include:

Infectious diseases, such as AIDS, viral hepatitis, tuberculosis, and typhoid fever
Autoimmune disorders, such as lupus
Steroid therapy
Blood cancer and other blood diseases, such as Hodgkin's disease and aplastic anemia
Radiation and chemotherapy (treatments for cancer)
Blank
Low lymphocytes - 8.6%, low absolute lymphocytes - 600.
This condition continues for last 3 years. Neither my physician or hematologist can figure out what could cause it. Do I need to do anything about it like changing diet?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...