Hepatitis C Community
low platelet count low white blood cells

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

My husband has had Hep c for probly 25 to 30 years and only found out about 2 years ago.  He has fibrosis, enlarged spleen, diabetes.  His platelet count has been slowly falling and is about at the 50 range right now.  My question is now all of a sudden his white blood cell count has dropped to 2.8.  Is this a common problem for others with Hep c.?    What does this mean for his future health?  His health has been on a steady decline.  Is this a sign of more failing health with no recovery?
Hepatitus C     Low white blood cell count   by Ed     April 06, 2008           Taking Inteferon for Hepititus C can lower a person's white blood cell count.   I am beyond being able to take inteferon.  A produce called Silver Biotics is supposed to be good for the immune system.  It can be purchased at a GNC store.  You may want to do some research on this product.  There is another product available which has silver and a certain type of water mixed with it.  
Deb... Uhm - I don't know. Is he TXing?

There are some rescue drugs that can bring up the white blood cell count - but I don't know what's causing the problem
I am confused by your note, it doesn't say that your husband is on treatment.  If he is not, he should talk with his doctor because hep c alone doesn't cause a drop in white blood cells, only if on treatment (someone correct me if I am wrong)    Hepc and increase chance of diabetes, non lymphoma leukemia, and other issues.  

In either case, your doctor looks into what is causing, if in TX there are medications, if not they need to find the cause.

Good Luck.
From Ed    Hepatitis C    Low white blood cell count     April 7, 2008      5:36 PM   I previously mentioned Silver Biotics.  A man used a silver solution on his skin for a rash, and his skin turned blue.  He claims that this was not from ingesting the silver compound.  I had mentioned in my previous letter that you may want to do some research on the silver product first.  As far as your husband's white blood cell count being low, my count is even lower.  If your husband has been receiving inteferon, that will make his white blood cell count go down, and make him feel real bad.    
A 50.000 platlet count is low.Is your husband txing?  If not, is he under the care of a hepatologist?  If  Txing, riba will lower the plat. ct. and wbc's.  The lower the plat ct the greater risk you are at for bleeding.  I am assuming he has cirrhosis and not txing.
Hepatitus C   Low white blood cell count                                                    My white blood cell count is down to 1.5   What can I do?
Hi!
My WBC and Platelet counts were dropping before I ever started tx. They're even lower now that I have been on treatment. WBC was down to 1.3 so my doc started me on Neupogen three weeks ago. It's brought it up some but still no where near normal. I think what was happening to me was that other organs are becoming involved because of the liver problems. I've had the Hep C probably since 1969 when I received blood transfusions after a car accident. Didn't find out I had it till Nov. 2007 and that was just because I had some lab work done and my liver functions were off. I already have some cirrhosis but no symptoms to speak of. Hope this helps. Ricki
Oh and just make sure he is very careful who he is around because the white blood cells are the ones that fight off infection and if they are low you don't have any to do that. You would be more prone to catching things and getting sicker because you couldn't fight it off. When your platelets are low you are at more risk of bleeding.
I was recently diagnosed with Hep C genotype 3 so I started a 6 month treatment of Interferon/Ribavirin.  Today's interferon shot would have left me with only 2 month's of treatment to go but my Dr. stopped treatment today because my platelets have fallen to 6.  Below 20 puts you at risk for spontaneous bleeding.  Hopefully once the platelet levels have increased I'll try to finish out my treatment.  The Hep C was responding well to treatment.  My viral load was down to 80.  I wish your husband the best.  You're both in my prayers.
kim
hi my husband got hep c from a blood transfusion in the early 80s, he has had chirosis since early 90s, they cant put him on inferron we were told in the 90s, his spleen and liver is swollen he has diabeties . now he is hemmoging from the nose every 4 to 5 days last 2 hours at a time his platlets were at 39 i dont know what that means, cant see a hep c doctor till 2011 sometime ,hemotoligist till late march 2010.He sleeps all the time I need advice from someone anyone who has been through this I am at my witts end with doctors thanks
It means he has to be seen soon.
The advice you got in the early 90's is outdated. He may have options now that will not be there in 2011. It's dangerous waiting until 2011 to get seen by a specialist - if not a hepatologist then a gastroenterologist.
Get him seen.
Good luck,
Mike
I have Hep-C and uncontrolled type 2 diabetes and also M.S.(happy but ill) my white cell count is 2 and has been low for years now!! Hate it looking for food or vitamins to boost it!! Legal Marijuana will help but till then?????
Usually the RBC is the one that falls with Hep C along with platelet count.     It is my understanding that WBC is due to infection.     If I am wrong please someone correct me.      Tnx.    K