Hepatitis C Community
marijuana

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

marijuana

Doctor phoned today, said blood tests indicated marijuana use.  "Do you smoke pot?" she asked.  "Yes," I replied, "nobody told me not to."  I mean, she said to give up wine and lose weight.  Now she wants me to give up the weed.  Since I've read that many people use it to help out with sides from treatment, my question is: Is it that really that damaging to our livers?  Thanks in advance,

pigeonca
I think it depends on the opinion of the individual doctor and what info they are going by. Is the doctor just anti marijuana use ( That is a big factor in their opinions too I think.)or is she open to medicinal uses for marijuana but has studies or info showing it is contraindicated with HCV treatment? I'd ask what info she is going by and see if I could read it myself.
If a patient has a past drug/alcohol history that might influence the doctors advice about it too.

Here is a blurb that might be helpful it address marijuana use and HCV treatment a bit.

"There are plenty of conflicting studies on the benefits/ dangers of marijuana use by the chronically ill.  Recent studies show that marijuana can be beneficial for those with AIDS  The results of a study released at the XIII International AIDS Conference reports that smoking marijuana helps people with AIDS gain weight, without causing adverse virologic effects (July 2000).  But HIV is not HCV.  Nor is HCV Cancer, nor are the aches and pains of HCV commensurate with the pain of someone who is dying of a debilitating illness.

Other studies (May 2000) speak of the synthetic marijuana derivative CT-3 as an anti-inflammatory and analgesic therapy intended as a safer alternative to nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), the most commonly prescribed analgesic and anti-inflammatory therapy for long-term treatment of arthritis.

One recent studies state that marijuana use increases tumor
growth, and another links it to emphysema.

A report from the New South Wales Users and AIDS Association
I cl'd a 37yr old hep c infection due to a trnasfusion in 1967.

I'm end stage, my liver has already failed; I smoked pot and had few sx's, few bills and no adverse effects.

I cl'd on old fashion inferon and riba in 17 days-2b.  that was in May 2002.

Most of the hep c patients I know smoke and clear-even 1's and 3's.

Many hep c doctors Rx it if you're in a medical marijuana state.

The Seattle Times just had a front page report on med marijuana today!  It says hep c is a qualifier.  So many doctors and many patients since 1998 in the state of WA have been sucessful and legal.

During my tx, I used no other helper drugs.  i'm still end stage and have anxiety, phantom itches due to puritis and no appetite.

Smokin' pot @ this stage is not to get high b/to function--just like Rx AD's, sleep aids, anti nausea, etc.

In fact the story in the times was about how med marijuana patients need legal head shops, since the medicine is legal.  Right now, all we can do is grow our own.

My crop is about high as an elephants eye and I have to keep chopping it back because my next door neighbor is a State Patrol officer.  He doesn't care.  Its just common courtasy.  I was given a male last year, so I'm growing from seed.

Don't let the slight majority who don't use a very good medicinal herb stop you from using whatever it takes to get thru tx.  

People who are test subjects are not the real world, In fact, on a study of marijuana and lung cancer, it was shown that marijana actually inhibited the growth of cancerous cells. That was a true b/uncomfortable truth.
weed works for me...soujorner,i am sorry to hear of your health situation .....but heartened to know that you are still keepin your thumb green and a sense of humor.....Best wishes.
I've seen studies linking cannabis use to higher rates of fibrosis progression and poorer tx outcomes but also remember a small study where the outcome was actually better.

Early on in tx, doctor wanted to prescribe medical marijuana for my nausea and weight loss but I declined since marijuana doesn't agree with me.

Beyond that don't know what else to say except if it's no big deal for you to stop -- and you're not nauceaus -- maybe you should consider what your doctor is saying and err on the safe side since the studies may not be conclusive either way so why take a chance.

-- Jim
I'm w/ beam and new-sojourn. it works for me. clear @ 12 and 24. good luck.
After my husbands transplant in 2004, he was given synthetic THC in the hospital because of his nausea and loss of appetite. He was leary of taking it but assured it would not harm his new liver. Now we just smoke it for fun!

Mattie
Sure worked for me!!! I used it during tx to calm the nerves, increase the appetite, and just level me out..I have since stopped. My Dr was completely aware of it, and did not have anything against it.
in my own experience, this is not an addictive drug physically,but can be mentally...it is a natural depressant..so when you smoke you do have enhanced feelings of depression,euphoria etc. i am in no way against it but personally i find it makes it worse for me. shelly
Funny you should bring this up. Just yesterday, I finally got my Medical Marijuana card here in Nevada. The doctor had no hesitation in giving me the prescription EVEN when I was under treatment. I can tell you it dramatically helped me sleep and eat much better.

Get a second opinon and get a good night's sleep without nausea...

Magnum
And for those who do not smoke; you can get this in flavored suckers and chocolate bars of many combination flavors.  I live in California and they have medical marijuana stores all over.

I think it would work for tx, neasua, eating better, and relaxing your stress level.

Cajun
This forum is always open to new posters, new people join everyday. Since many people are new to the forum subjects come up again and again because new people are asking the questions..
People can ask whatever they need to ask as many times as need be on whatever issue regarding HCV they feel is relevant to them.
I have been away on my job and just got back today.i have to say that rev is still meaner than a snake.ha-ha.same rev different year.i was wanting to say howdy to the chevy poster the one that said she loves me.
maybe he needs some pot to help him lighten up.
Welcome back slow
Like Rocker weed would always give me anxiety, but give me some
PEP PILLS!!!!!! AND a lot of beam and i could tear that roadhouse down.........Thank God i stopped all of that 10yrs ago an gave my liver a break, guess  I kind of new something was goin wrong with me......
Last year about this time, a skunk moved into our backyard.  Our black and white border collies thought it was family.  the skunk wasn't so sure.  So we had lotsa near misses and a few hits on the dogs. eau do skunk thru out the neighborhood.  B/it covered up the 'skunky' smell of the marijuanna that was budding and diung all the good things.

This summer, low and behold the skunk moved back in underneath the tool shed next to the garden. The dame dogs barking @ nite and eau do skunk wiffying around the yard. so now we just feed it and figure its love sick.  the dogs ignor it and sometimes we even mistake it for our fat black cat until we see the stipe.

So my garden is protected by wasps @ day and a love lorn skunk @ nite.  Its illegal to shoot or trap or harrass them.  B/sure keeps out casual visitors.                        

I guess you can say I grow skunk weed!
soj... problem with skunks round here, 1 out of 7 carry rabies, and they can carry in salivary glands for up to a year without manifesting any symptoms...that has made me a lot less tolerant... now if they would just eat some of that crop,, it would diminish their aggression, or hopefully lessen their religious fervor (associated with rabid behavior), and they wouldn't bite or bark at anybody, and the world would be a more peaceful place!!!

this is for the one that calls him rev.you used up the last thread in the other post like you usually do with your harpin.do you really have to keep harping on pot smoking.ok we get it you don't like pot.who cares.i was waiting for an answer from a very nice person on that thread and now she can't because of your harpin.i may be a pot head and i may not.you will never know but i sure wouldn't keep telling people what to do or what to not do.it's none of my business and it's none of yours to.i am just a high school graduate hillbilly but i got more manners than to harp on peoples.i hold down a full time job and pay my way for everything in my life including treating 3 times with no welfare or insurance company picking up the tab.i don't usually post in here but come here for 3 years and have seen all your harpin and making people mad.chill out dude.smoke a joint.hug a child.throw a frizby with a dog.get rid of your anger and your liver will feel better.slow
You're giving Bartlett's a good work out today 'when you ponder the written word, you put light where there was dark'
When you have hcv it's hard not to care about livers and more difficult not to care about those who are shipmates on this cruise. BTW, I made up that last quote.  I was just trying to deflect some slings and arrows.  Outrageous huh?
I think you just quoted Goofy
I think you just quoted Goofy
You seem to be fond of quoting him.  Here's one : 'A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.'  . It fits me too.
" Look, I don't want to act philosophic, but I will say that if you're alive you've got to flap your arms and legs, you've got to jump around a lot, for life is the very opposite of death, and therefore you must at very least think noisy and colorfully, or you're not alive."

Now come on, chicken dance with me!!!!
Hey, couldn't pass up a qoute thread!! LOL
in this dark room,in this sad gloom,we live like beasts!
Excellent!
Everyone give Rev a break, differing viewpoints are valuable, case in point.  Being a long time pothead, I wish it weren't true but he is right.

My previous dr thought it would be fine if I smoked a little too but it looks like there's new information.

Even NORML recommends that HEPC patients not use pot until further studies are done. http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=7010

More http://www.natap.org/2005/HCV/062705_01.htm

I think each person needs to weigh the risk/benefit as with any drug.
anyone lurking down here with the lunkers????  I would never smoke pot, just like I would never drink with hep c......but now them brownies.... I have considered.  Here lately I ACHE, I ache in my long bones, I eat 9 ibuprofen a day, and I can't sleep at night because I ache.  If I thought I could eat two brownies a night (hey, no one can eat just one) and that it would help...I would be all for it.  I noticed Beamer posted a while back that he gets "fired up" easily, and it seems like I do too, just like a major caffeine buzz.  I am not on any form of AD, or sleep aid, so maybe this is a form of anxiety, and I just don't know it....something else wierd, last three Drs. visits my body temp is so low, I might be dead and don't know it.  96 on last two, 95 on the last one... I told my staff if I start to stink, someone bury me...
brownies heh!  poor thing you! 9 ibuprofens is the norm for us.  I know I take more than that now!  if you stay up late might as well go to pogo.com and try to win the jackpot playing solitaire!
take care sweetie!
Hey there, I guess my point and question is: is it better to take 9-15 ibuprofen, or a couple of brownies on the liver.  Does the use of medical marijuana actually help sx like the ache, or just nasueas... (probably won't help spelling...)
If so, after all of the times he's been asked to stop posting jabberish ramblings about Pakistan and getting HepC from the drinking water..................

Or it is me?
i think he is real...english is not his 1st  language-probably not even his 2nd language...he is young & worried & just another variation on the theme-hepper's are Crazeee !! and our prices are INNNsane !! it ain't yu,nygirl, it's us....
cross culteral communication barriers mixed with some forum communication barriers.... mixed with a few riba & interferon communication barriers... & what do you get.... Mass Confusion... LoL

Now WHERE is that flea powder?
:)
ROFL,,,,You said that perfecto!!
Poetry? Prose? Almost familiar.
and lovely.
That's a plan!
You steered real good-lotta fun! You can steer anytime.
Anyone else wonder why a post that had it's last response in '06 suddenly reappears?
Just curious...............
Bug
hi i am 20 years old with a clean record and no drug charges i for the past 2 years known i had hep C and just now finally got a blood test i tested positive i have little to no side effects from it i just want medical pot from michigan do u have to be in any type of treatment before u can be considered or just have it
ive done my reasearch on pot n liver infection or 4 that matter hepatitis n ive asked my doctor n he said that pot doest realy affect ur liver that much but in time it will.
they say that the THC that enters ur body leaves a weird substance on ur liver wich in big amounts ,for example if ur a heavy smoker or uve been smokin for a while  can affect ur liver even more
It would only have any negative effects if you were taking it while on other medication, but not all medications will react with marijuana.
In Pot We Trust was the program on the History channel last night. It was a program taped a few years ago when a vote was taken in Washington for the legalization of Medical Marijuana, with the holly rollers against the proponents. At that time, the holy rollers, M.A.D., DEA, et al won. However Obama finally saw the light and got the Feds off our back. Now, if you have a Medical Marijuana card (as I do), the Feds can't bust you.

The argument by the proponents was “If a person is dying with cancer and is on chemo therapy, would you bust him and put him in prison if he smoked marijuana to ease the suffering?” The holy rollers and the DEA just kept repeating “this is a push to legalize marijuana, nothing else”.

I don’t know who made this quote “Thank goodness for all the ignorant people in the world, because it makes the rest of us look smart”.

The only caution for you if you smoke it, is to avoid eating all the Ding Dongs, chips, Mars bars, Reese’s cups, cakes and anything else that you're attracted to, because you should keep your weight down with Hep C. Otherwise, it’s up to you...

Magnum
Old post. Haven't seen pigeonca in ages. I think Magnum nailed it, that study that shows pot speeds fibrosis probably didn''t adjust for the ding-**** factor.
I think that French study which stated cannabis accelerated liver fibrosis had used smoking as the delivery method. This to me would be a flawed study because inhaling burnt vegetable matter is not good for anyone.
Personally, I infuse butter with cannabis then make organic cookies out of it. This method has worked well for me. In the near future, I will try ingesting 2 oz hash oil over 2-3 months to see if it will help with my hepC. I guess it beats waiting to die. The doctors won't treat me with the interferon cocktail because of my chronic pain/copd issues.
I stopped smoking pot when I was in my second year in college. Then, when I started my first treatment in 1991, I started smoking it to help with my insomnia brought on by treatment and stress caused by this disease. I've been smoking it almost daily ever since and I'm still here to tell the tale. I smoked it through 4 treatments with the doctor’s approval, who by the way, gave me a prescription for Medical Marijuana....

There were caveats for years about drinking coffee, then scientists say it’s now good for you. Wine, for years also had a negative connotation, now it’s good for you in moderation.
Pot has been around since man crawled out of the slime. The Egyptians first used it as medication. Artisans, actors, politicians, police, even ICE enforcers use it without letting it be known publicly, to help them with their problems.

There are much more dangerous drugs than pot, yet the government allows their use. Take for example Ambien (for sleep). Look at the multitude of warnings and shock yourself. Yet, the FDA has approved it. This is hypocrisy in motion, because the government reaps a huge harvest of taxes from the pharmaceutical companies. Now, if they allowed weed to be legal, they would accrue more taxes yet. It’s just a matter of time...

However... as for smoking pot, I only take three hits and through a vaporizer (which dramatically cuts down on carcinogens) just before I go to sleep. It helps me sleep soundly and I'm fresh as a Spring daisy the next day. My mind is sharply tuned and I don't lose any of my vigor or energy. Otherwise... it's up to you

Magnum
I have used MJ for over 30 yrs. My liver Dr says MJ is NOT metabolized by your liver so it does not propose any problems, he did say that smoking anything is unhealthy for your lungs, so he suggested eating it or using a vaporizer. I do the latter.

It helps with sleep, nausea, appetite, and some pain issues. I think sleep is the most beneficial. For me if I have anxiety, MJ makes it worse.

I relapsed after 6 months on my first tx. No one made any relation to the use of MJ as the reason for relapse.

I try not to use any medications that are metabolized by your liver. I even discovered that using my pain cream Voltaren is not good while on interferon tx as it can cause liver toxicity.

My GP moved away and I was handed of to another Dr at the clinic, I did not get along with her as she immediately judged me for using MJ. It became the topic of all my visits, she wanted me to stop and start taking pills metabolized by my liver instead. I told her my liver Dr approved the use of MJ but she refused to listen, I changed Dr.s. Now I have a Great Dr who actually does research on the subject and has also given me the green light!

We all react very different to tx, find what works for you and stick with it.

On the subject of synthetic marijuana, up here there are young folk dieing from cannibiod toxicity from the use of this legal substance. There has NEVER been a death related to the use of marijuana. I ask
'Why mess with Mother Nature", she made perfection in a simple weed.
I am glad you posted this I wanted to ask but was a bit concerned about what all of you would think. I have smoked most of my life I do not smoke cigarettes I use to but 29 years ago I decided it really didn't do anything for me and I was planning to have a baby. I did not smoke anything when I was pregnant with my daughter. I resumed after she was born.
I really don't want to quit it is the only thing I do anymore I don't drink or do any other drugs for my livers I try not to aggravate it don't want to **** it off.
I have been very concerned about this. Thanks to you all for being so open with your lives I might make it through this now one more thing I can quit worrying about.