Hepatitis C Community
milk thistle and unstable mood?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

milk thistle and unstable mood?

8347007?1348163362
I've been taking milk thistle for about 2 years now after doing some research about herbs and HCV. Its always been the same brand. GNC's standardized milk thistle 200mg. I can't say I take it everyday, maybe every other day and during those busy periods of time I forget to take it for weeks on end. What I have noticed is that milk thistle has a very prominent affect on my mood - almost to the point where google diagnosis made me think I have bipolar disorder.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this as well? I should probably mention I am female and I have taken into account the usual mood swings given periods and all but I track my period religiously and I've found that the mood swings are not consistent with my menstrual cycle but i do get particularly panicky/depressed and have more than normal anxiety after a few consecutive days of taking milk thistle.

Is this normal? After having come to the conclusion a few days ago I've stopped taking it. Just wanted to see if anyone else has a similar experience. Thanks
Tags: Milk Thistle, mood swings, moody, Depression, estrogen, herbal milk thistle
You know it's been proven that milk thistle actually does nothing.  
Not sure about Milk Thistle and mood swings. Mood swings are complicated as it is. I feel like I should reinforce that NYGirl is right when it comes to Milk Thistle and HCV.

This study dated 19 July 2012 says:

Silymarin, or milk thistle, a botanical extract that is widely used by patients infected with the hepatitis C virus (HCV), has no effect on liver enzymes or viral load in those with chronic HCV, according to a large multicenter randomized clinical trial published in the July 18 issue of JAMA.

Here is the link for the entire study:

Chronic HCV: No Benefit From Milk Thistle
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/767724
Thanks for the info, I guess I can stop taking and save my money :(
People can be allergic to anything. I think your reaction is not the norm.

The problem with supplements is there is no standardization.

In Thailand they prescribed silymarin, the active ingredient in milk thistle for me. It came from a company based in Germany.

Milk thistle has been used for centuries in Europe and believed to help protect the liver. I'm sure they used the plant, not some pill form. Perhaps it has more affect in that way, who knows ?
I've taken milk thistle pretty regularly for the past 4 years, 250 mg twice a day and have noticed no change in my moods.  I thought it helped my hep c for a while, but am having liver problems now and am not so sure any more.  I'm on this forum because I'm contemplating another round of treatment and getting opinions.  I would say stop taking it and see if the problems go away:)
I've been taking milk thistle (500mg) 2X daily for 6 years, since my diagnosis.  It has no effect on my mood whatsoever.  I went through TX five years ago but it ws unsuccessful (geno 1b).  However, a BX last year revealed that my liver has somewhat improved in the 5 years since last BX.  

So whether my liver has improved due to silymarin, or the change in my lifestyle (no alcohol, ever), I don't think I'll ever know, but I will continue doing what I'm doing, because it seems to be working!!

PS:  try ordering it from Vitacost.  The price is much better than GNC.
  Here's my Milk Thistle story:  I was trying to participate in one of the new ClinicL Research Trials, but my liver enzymes were too high for the protocol. So even the Doctor told me to try Milk Thistle and drink tons of water before the lab test, and maybe myAST/ALT would go below the limit (400)
    I began taking tons of it, in liquid and caps. I forgot that the gelatin caps constipated me, and became very uncomfortabe...and it didn't lower my enzymes, although I only tried for two weeks.
Best to use the plant (organic if you can get it). Pills have other ingredients and preservatives that are not good for the body.

Always look for the purest and freshest of whatever herb you take.

My liver specialist would flip if he read your question...he tells me absolutely not to take milk thistle....I agree with Idillic post up above and orphaned hawk...plants do have more effect than pills but mik thistle will not help your liver...always remember, everything you put in your body your liver has to process...also having widely traveled I soon realized something that was native to one but not to be could be adverse to me but not to them. Foods and nuitruition and supplements differ from one country to another...elavate your mood with walking, focusing on things that make you happy.  You know when I feel really down I will go down to the childrens hospital and sit in the lobby and watch the parents and children and realize how lucky I am to be alive....I dance, slower now then before, and I try to volunteer to help others worse off than me.  I am ESLD Stage 4 on transplant list.  I could easily fall into a rapid mental funk but will not allow myself to do it.  Positivity has to come from with in, not from without.
don't mean to sound like a *****...but there are so many other factors that can be affecting your mood.  Have you ever had a through thyroid test done?  A gyno exam.  There are things that could be going on in your system other than the HCV that could be affecting your moods.  Good luck in your search to a resolution.
Been taking Milk Thistle (standardized) for years!, Don't know if it's helping but my biopsy results have been great for the last 10 years!
No it hasn't.

It has also been proven that the standard of treatment doesn't work too well. I can attest to that.

I highly recommend you look into the research behind Siliphos, which is a highly bio-available form of Silymarin.