Hepatitis C Community
mised info about having more than one sex partner

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I will be asking questions as I come onto the need. I had posted before that 'He and Her" both has HCV and realized I needed to get more answers from the doctor before asking them. I will do that as they (we) go along.
My  one main question now is -- If you cannot get the virus through sex with your partner, why do they say we are at risk if we have more than one sex partner?
I must be "up front" with you all if I expect your help.
He and she are divorced but live together -- both have HCV probably from snorting Coke with the same straw -- I do not do any drugs period and never have.

They are both waiting to see a GI (is that the right kind of doctor?) in order to see just where they are at as far as genotypes and degree of virus and liver damage for him as he is a BIG drinker - -really big.--case at a time!

Now for the hard part -- I also have intimate relations with her (past 5 years)  and I am negative -- but that means she has two sex partners -- HOW DOES AFFECT HER RECOVERY AND WHY DOES THIS INCREASE THE CHANCE OF ME GETTING IT AND IF WE STOP HOW DOES IT HELP HER?
Everything I read contradicts itself -- "can't give to partner through sex but can give to someone else if they have more than one partner"-- I'M LOST!!!

Embarrassed but know the truth must be told here  
POKIE82
Can't tell if you are a woman or a man so will simply tell you that male to male is most unsafe, followed by male to female, then female to female.  Dangerous, ie. anal, intercourse is much more likely to result in transmission of HCV.  Incidence of transmission in a monogamous relationship (man and woman) is less than 3%.  It is believed that those with multiple partners are also more likely to have engaged in unsafe practices where blood can be transfered.  That answer your question?
Revenire = chevy & Galen
Revenire & Galen -- you clarified it quite well -- It seems I will be able to continue to love her without killing myself.
I AM A MALE

Chevy --I don'tthink you knew I was a participant before -- unless you are psychic -- And these word of advise from you I do not participate in:
don't brush your teeth afterwards with her toothbrush until your gums bleed-- Got my own brush thank you!
don't shoot up with her (she quit years ago and this is not my thing)
don't become but yourself & become blood brother/sister (plus then later sex would be incest)(HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS) but whatever it does -- I don't do it!
don't stick the same straw up each others' noses-- I'll pass that on to her ex and his friends. She and I know better now, even thought I never did -- she did with ex years ago.
AND conventional sex is all we desire. ( conventional  sounds rather business like)

Can I go to church with her OK?

BTW She has been very sick for a long time with Endometrios as the diagnosis -- I wonder now?-- sick every morning -- throwing up every morning -- lost 50 lbs in the last year -- acheys all over -- no appetite--  having a hard time getting a Medicaid doctor--  I am really worried about her. She seems to be slipping away in her 30's

Seriously -- thank you all -- you too Chevy :-)
Geeze...this isn't that hard of a question. Sit back and think about it......
What is sex like when you have many sex partners? That means that many are "New" and the level of excitement runs HIGH. Isn't that first few times MUCH more aggressive than when we get familiar and things calm down? The "experimentation" also runs high in any new relationship.
Monogamus couples usually settle down to a more "caring and loving" relationship..... which doesn't usually involve all that "we'll try that if you're gentle" stuff. It also eliminates most of the "hardware" which can cause cuts.
All that "hot and heavy" stuff is where the small cuts and transmission CAN come from. Cuts, abrasions, periods,anal, all can involve blood. it's the Blood that's the problem here.
So, Yes, it "can" be spread by sex with multiple partners.....but it is seldom spread by the calm monogamus couples.
Does that make sense to you? I hope so.
Sex does not either aggrivate or help the disease. So stopping sex will do nothing more than to help protect you from contracting it. It will not help your infected partner at all. But there is little reason for that as long as you take it "easy" and realize what you are possibly subjecting yourself to. MOST monogamus partners do not get this from their partners.
Condoms do work for prevention of this. I know.....I don't like em either. So I guess it depends on your level of fear as to wether you use them or not.
YES.....A GI doc should have the expertise to deal with this....if he/she treats many HCV patients. If not, a "Hapatologist" is the way to go. They deal strictly with liver disease.
It sounds like you have some "other" issues going on here. But thts ok. We are all just friends here and we have to be able to "bare our souls" sometimes to get the answers we seek.
I cannot say that if she continues to stay with that man that she will not be able to beat this. She will remain at some small level of risk but it is pretty small. Her other partner must quit drinking if he wants to live. Alcohol speeds up this disease as long as it is active.
The question remains as to what level of risk are YOU willing to accept? If you choose to continue in this relationship you should have regular qualitative PCR tests at the very least. Or at least the basic screening tests which are much cheaper but less accurate.
There is absolutely NO reason to be embarassed here with us/me. As we go through the HCV nightmare we learn VERY quickly to get over all that personal embarassment ****. We are sometimes stripped tested ia all kinds of ways, asked VERY personal questions, poked,prodded,scoped,looked at inside and out, and even stripped naked in front of total strangers at times! SO WHAT? Get over the embarassment if you want the answers you seek. You will get used to it.
Oh yeah.....send any naked photos to me.   hahahahahaha
I hope this answers most of your questions. If you have more, just ask.
Best of luck as you go through this. Keep us informad as you progree and we can help.
now that is really baaaad just don't name the newborn Baaasil or Baaaab. and remember with boots on you you can put their rear legs in them too sometimes they kick back so hard.. Daryl
LOL!! Thanks for the great definition of randy! I needed the laugh!
you just have to keep praising and encouraging us. You are sooo naughty I could just bite you(in between the spanks)keep the smile happening, dahling we don't want to miss that too
lvdbygod, ringer, couchpotato,
I pray that you are well, drop by soon!
Yes, I was just wondering about The Poet the other day as well...........Hey, Dude, I hope things are well with you and your family..... Hoping you stop by and drop us a "hello"........
Hey girl, I haven't heard from Sandi since she was going off to sell fireworks. Maybe she just needs some R@R from everything. I have disappeared in the past too. I'm sure she'll return soon to tell us about her firework sells!!!! She's always a trip...lol and I miss a few others too! Prayers and love to all, Cindee
don't become but yourself & become blood brother/sister (plus then later sex would be incest)
Chev that went so over my head it's in orbit. Please put me out of my curiosity.
Plus "dont shoot up her" did you " mean dont shoot her up " if not could supply a list of good places to shot.

So i didn't wasted $100 0n a sheep outfit! Cheers
Sam
There are many men that have small amounts of blood in thier semen, often it is microscopic.
Men and women may have small amounts of blood in thier urine, also microscopic.
Anyone can break a blood vessel during sex, and have microscopic, or visable blood present.
I broke a blood vessel once, and when I went to my HMO the nurse said that I shouldn't be too concerned because a little blood in the urine "goes a long way" and that a little may look like a lot. She said that they would send me to the lab and get a sample later. I told her that symtoms (symptoms) can be waning and that I wanted to leave a sample there in case I couldn't urinate later.
She gave me a cup and I left a sample on the counter where she told me to.  About 3 min later another nurse came into the waiting room and ask me if I was the person that left the sample.
When I told her tha I was she told me that they had a wheelchair comming and that they would rum tests imediately. This was MAJOR BLOOD! A few days later I had another major bleed. Both times I had cramps that mad me think that I was going to die.
Blood in urine and/or semen is not uncommon, and the more sex partners that you have the greater the chances are that you'll run into somone that has it. Asking a OB/GYN, or a urologist may shed some more light on the subject.
I love the way this forum has evolved. It has become peaceful and non-judgemental. Everyone's comments to pokie were great, and very thoughtful.

Chev.........I fininshed one week ahead of you and can feel my energy slowly coming back. Next week I get another full blood work up...........keeping my two middle fingers crossed!

Steve
Isn't Libido a city in Ohio?
Pokie;  I agree with Chevy's post - blood to blood ..

Chevy:   If you could see me now, you would see the biggest smile on my face just for you -  I really don't think I could be happier for you than I am right now.... SVR is yours:)
You are going to make Indy jealous if you keep flirting with Scott in that sheep suit!
Ringer had a photo shoot somewhere with George Thorgood yesterday. I suspect there was a lot of prep time required > Couch as far as I can remember hasn't posted since her hubby was transferred to a Hospital in Vancouver B.C. And she followed next day I still pray for both of them several times a day I can't seem to find out how they are but continue to hope for good news soon.
Hello, hello, hello.........did you eat too much cotton floss?????  :>)  I was thinking about you...good to see you again....
Hi there,
I was out on vacation lat week.  Didn't go anywhere but worked around the house with my best friend, Hubby:)  I have dial up at home and it is so sloooow, sometimes I couldn't log on but I didn't forget about any of you.  I was back in office Wednesday, dsl working fine, but Oh.. soo much work on my desk..

I have been trying to sneak in a few minutes here and there to catch-up with all the posts..  Oddly, apart from the hair thinning thing, I feel practically normal...   Not complaining a bit...:)

Hope everyone is well, happy and and enjoying iminimal sides...
Have a great weekend!