Hepatitis C Community
mndavis527750

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

mndavis527750

Dose lactulose come in pill form?
hi as far as i know it only comes in a sweet syrup but it fantastic for constipation and really easy to get down
Lactulose also comes in a powered form. It is called 'Kristalose'.
In patients with decompensated cirrhosis and hepatic encephalopathy (HE) Lactulose/Kristalose is the first line of treatment after the elimination of red meat protein from the diet, which during digestion produces high levels of ammonia and other toxins.

Kristalose can be mixed in plain water and has almost no flavor. Mix it in juices and you will never taste it.

Kristalose is manufactured by Cumberland Pharmaceuticals Inc., Nashville, TN.

20g Powder Packet of Kristalose is equivalent to 30 ml (2 tbsp or 6 tsp)
of liquid lactulose.

Kristalose is not generic and costs much more than Lactulose.
As with Lactulose it should be taken to produce 2-4 loose bowel movements per day. Not diarrhea. Dehydration can trigger a episode of HE and start the whole cycle again. It can also produce electrolyte disturbances.

Kristalose is contraindicated in patients who require a low-galactose diet and should be used with caution in diabetics. Initial dosing may produce flatulence and intestinal cramps, which are usually transient. Excessive dosage can lead to diarrhea with potential complications, such as loss of fluids, hypokalemia, and hypernatremia.

Talk to your liver doctor about getting a prescription for Kristalose.

Hector
     Thank you for the information on Kristalose. I will talk to my Doctor about a prescription. I was having a real problem keeping lactulose down, I hope this will work better and reduce my ammonia level. It is certainly high right now. Thanks again

Mark