Hepatitis C Community
my eyeballs hurt

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

my eyeballs hurt

I am going to take my 6th shot today.  Lately I have been waking up and notice when I move my eyes they hurt and the top of my forehead hurts too.  Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this and if it is most likely a side effect of treatment.
Although my eyes never hurt, I would get very bad headaches in the sinus above and below the eyes.  I had to assume that it was one of the many side effects I had because now that I have completed treatment, the headaches are gone.

The meds I was on prevented me from taking Tylenol so I would take Aleve, which worked fine.  Read my article in this forum titled "Surviving HepC" and it might answer some of your questions as it pertains to the side effects.

Keep your spirit high, you will survive.
Hi, if the meds you were on were peg and riba that should not have kept you from taking tylenol.  Most folks on here are told that tylenol is the best but just don't go over the recommended daily amount.  

I just don't want new people to think they can't take tylenol. hope you didn't take any offense

Denise
Try reading the insert that comes with the meds (if your eyes don't hurt too much) and you'll see it's one of the listed possible side effects.

If you can rule out sinus-related stuff from your situation, then I'd look at three different things:

1) Dehydration is very common (eyes and everywhere), so make sure you're drinking lots of water. You can try  OTC artificial tears. "Refresh Tears" isn't bad but experiment around. Avoid "strong" versions because they can make your vision blurry (unless you don't mind). And stay away from Visine, which isn't great for the long haul.

2) It's makes sense to see an opthomologist, with or without these symptoms. You really need to catch a serious problems asap. In fact, retinal hemorrhage is a risk on tx and although low, it's important that someone is looking out for you.

3) And just a simple thing but I really found it helpful to wear sunglasses as much as possible. Outdoors, of course.
I used individual saline-only solution sold in small individual packets so there was no chance of infection crossing.

The nasal saline solution really really helped with sinuses and dry nasal passages and I managed to get through tx infection free (but not sx free:-()
I had the same problem, but it subsided after a while. I felt some kind of pressure and they eyes were dry. It never got that bad that I needed to take anything. I did compress with a little water now and then.

For the dry nose, I rubbed a little virgin coconut oil or shea butter in my nostrils
When I was on treatment I experienced discomfort similar to a muscle ache in the back of my eyes.I assumed it was the treatment drugs and worked with it with relaxation/visualisation exercises around the eyes starting with the eye lid muscles then moving inwards towards the muscles that move the eyes around.

This was only my experience but it worked for me.
While on tx I had excruciating eye pain for around two months.  The pain was so bad I had to wear an eye patch.  The trial sent me to an ophthalmologist and they did not find anything wrong with my eyes, so it was the meds causing the pain.

To be on the safe side see an ophthalmologist just to make sure everything is okay, plus it will ease your mind too.
Make sure you check your thyroid function. It happened to me to just about as my thyroid went out.
boy I just restarted treatment and I have the worst headache and hurting eyeballs right now.
i got the eye pain you talk about in my first round of TX
I too had the eyes pressure and dryness. Coincidentally, I lost my thyroid as a result of treatment. Dont know if there is a link between the two?
Yes I had eyeball pain, headaches bad for abut 3 months...the eyeball pain was a pressure that lasted thruout my 55 weeks....Icepacks was the only thing that helped.

There is light at the end of the tunnel.
I know how hard it is to be patient with yourself when you feel so rotten for so long.

hang In there...
Best wishes
Charm-Im the BIGGEST baby in the world and I survived 55 weeks. You will too. Hope you feel better soon.