my mother has Hep C
My mother is very ill already with heart failure, kidney failure, and so many things. She recently found out that she has Hep C, for a long time. She didn't even knew that she had it. My question is, they want her to take this medication that will put her morals down. The thing is shes already in a state of depression. Would you recommend that she lives not as long but happier or longer but depress. Thank you for you advice.
First of all, sorry about your mom. You're being a good son or daughter coming here to try and help her out.

First of all, the fact that your mother has hepatitis c does not necessarily mean she won't live as long a life as someone without hepatitis c -- even if she doesn't get treated. A lot depends on how much liver damage she has which is best found out with a liver biopsy. It's a relatively harmless procedure, usually done in the hospital, without an overnight stay.

Has your mom had a liver biopsy? What did it say? If she hasn't had a liver biopsy, considering everything else going on with her health, I'd think that would be the first step so her doctors can prioritize what she should be treated for and when.

If it turns out she has little or no liver damage, one reasonable decision might be to wait for shorter treatment protocols using newer drugs that like you say would be less likely to put her "morals down", which the treatment drugs certainly can do to some of us. On the other hand, if she has very serious liver damage, then her doctors probably would want her to treat. A lot of us take anti-depressants during treatment to help with the mood swings.

Is your mom seeing a liver specialist? They're called hepatologists and are more knowledgeable than less specialist doctors, especially in complicated cases like your moms.

You should know that there are not doctors here, just folks who have hepatitis C.

All the best,

-- Jim

i was only asking if anyone went through what she's going through. She hasn't had liver biopsy. Shes suppose to see a specialist soon but I don't know what for,, i think its for meds. When they found out that she had it it was because she had scaring on her liver , then they did a blood test. I think she had it for at least 20 years. I just don't want my mom to commit suicide. She already doesn't do much with herself. She stays at home all the time and can't walk long distance. Shes 56 yrs old. She doesn't know to deal with it, and she doesn't know about the virus. I even tried to explain it to her, but she doesn't get it. I hope she gets better.
Sorry I misunderstood your question. I thought the doctors wanted to treat her hepatitis c with interferon and ribavirin. Before that is done, a biopsy is usually required to determine if treatment is necessary or not.

As to your specific question, I don't have an answer. Hopefully if your mother is that despondent, she is seeing a psychiatrist who can help her through all this.

- Jim
is it typical that the doctor would treat someone for hep c when they have other health issues like heart failure and kidney problems?  i am not familiar with protocols.

joalbert,
i misunderstood what you meant about morales, did you mean her morale would go down like disinhearted or it would be against her morales to take medication as in religious preferences or such
hope all turns out well for her.
I ment that shes going to be more depress than she is now. She is seeing a psychologist, and he toll he that she shouldn't take those meds. I guess he might not think that shes going to heal from that. All I have to wait is for my mother to go to the hospital to see the specialist. I'll let you guys know once I know more about what going on.
Hello Joalbert,
I completely understand what you are going through,
my Mother also has chronic hep c. She is going for a liver byop next week. She's had it for 4 years. Her ammonia levels are always high, the last time she was in I.C.U. (last week) her levels were 174. It was pretty scary, didn't even know who I was. I'm very sorry to hear about your Mother. Maybe we can keep in touch? I really need someone to chat with who understands what I'm going through!! Thanks!
I also understand what you're going through. But the weird thing is, is that she herslef doesn't know how to react to it. She's afraid to infect others, but she's hope all the time, so she won't. My mother doesn't have have the ressources to understand hep C, I tried to teach her about it. I also hope that you're mother is well, i mean as good as it can be.