Hepatitis C Community
my viral load is 1210989

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

my viral load is 1210989

in my PCR-test report my viral load is 1210989. can any one know about this value i mean how dangerous it is? after receiving that report i am very depressed. for God sake plz some body help me and tell me about this ?
What Is Viral Load?

Viral load is a measurement of the amount of virus in your blood. Viral load measurements are commonly used to monitor chronic viral diseases, such as HIV, hepatitis B (HBV) and hepatitis C (HCV).

In the case of HCV, a test called quantitative HCV RNA is used to measure the number of hepatitis viruses in the blood based on how much viral RNA (the virus' genetic material) is detected per milliliter. There is also a viral load test for hepatitis B.

Why Is Viral Load Important?

Doctors use your viral load to determine how you're responding to treatment. Usually, you will find out your viral load when you start treatment and then repeat the test (usually at three months) as your treatment continues. With at least two viral load results (sometimes along with the results of other blood tests and biopsy), doctors can see how the virus is responding to the drugs. A significantly reduced viral load (a 100-fold decrease in amount of virus) often means that treatment is working. Ideally, treatment should make the virus undetectable.

A viral load test won't tell you about the severity of your liver disease. In other words, a high viral load doesn't necessarily mean you're more sick than someone with a lower viral load. However, viral load can predict how easily you might achieve an undetectable viral level with treatment. Someone who begins treatment with a low viral load will probably have an easier time of getting an undetectable viral level after treatment.

Treating Hepatitis C

What Is a High and Low Viral Load?

A high viral load is usually higher than 800,000 IU/L. This means you have around 2 million copies or more of virus in your blood. A low viral load is usually lower than 800,000 IU/L. However, this is a general guideline and may be defined differently in certain people.

Laboratories standardize viral load results into international units (IUs), which allows you to compare a viral load result from one laboratory to that from another. A viral load of 800,000 IU/L doesn't mean you have 800,000 copies of virus; rather, you have 800,000 standardized units of virus per liter of blood. The actual number of virus copies may be higher or lower. For example a viral load of 50 to 100 copies per mililiter would be equivalent to 25 to 50 IU/mL.

http://hepatitis.about.com/od/diagnosis/a/ViralLoad.htm
Just to add to the excellent information you received above from ActingBrandNew.....

You will now need to find a doctor who will treat your Hepatitis C, preferably a liver specialist. Most likely that doctor will run some more tests on you to determine which Genotype you are as well as other tests to determine what your liver fibrosis stage is (how much damage you have, if any, to your liver). Your Genotype will determine which treatment you will need. Genotype 3 is the most common type of Hepatitis C in Pakistan.

If you are Genotype 3, the treatment is Interferon injections and pills called Ribavirin.

Try to learn as much as possible about Hepatitis C. The more you know, the less depressed and anxious you will be.

Hepatitis C is treatable and people can attain a cure. Best of luck.
thanks for the info...but i just want to ask about treatment.can its treatment is possible and can i live a normal life after treatment?is it life threatning or not....i am not alcoholic never drink in my life don`t smoke at all.stay away from all kind of addictions.  
There are very successful treatments for HCV. I myself went through one of the treatments. You can definitely live a normal life after treatment. Take the advice from Pooh and find a good Hepatologist who treats HCV, find out what your genotype is and explore your options for treatment.
thanks alot..for your kind rplys and consolations.before joing this fourm my depression and anxiety was killing me from inside. now i am hopeful to fight against this disease.
i had an appointment with doctor today. after the ultra sound test doctor say i have slightly enlarge liver in size can you please tell me about this.