Hepatitis C Community
need help with my circumstance

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

need help with my circumstance

i recently applied for the australian defence force in brisbane i passed everything my interview my fitness test , my date to go is the 17th of august but at the moment i am having a very big problem , last wednesday i was called in about my blood test results i was told i am positive for hep c antibodies i didnt know what it meant at the time so i started freaking out running threw my mind was i have not done anything to get this i dont take needles never had any blood transfusions etc, anyway the doctor told me to go and get tested again , since then i have had two tests done again tested positive for antibodies , later i recently had a pcr test done is has come back saying no detection , so i thought this was meant to be excellent news well apprently not the army is still refusing to let me in and now apprently i need to see a discease infectious specialist , bloddy ridicoulous i have already had 2 doctors tell me i should be fine and have had another doctor even tell me this should not have any effect with joining the army , so upset because i know im not gonna get it made in time to get in for 17th august........... one doctor told me it could even be false positives . and another said i could of had the discease at one stage but its gone, i have had liver tests results and they have also came back with perfect results no damage or anything . is the army being too hard or what??????
Wow, we had someone else post here recently with a very similar story; you haven’t posted this before have you?

I’ll try to remember the name of the other gent. In the mean time, you might request that the doctor order a ‘RIBA’ test; this test is very conclusive for the presence of HCV antibodies; if you have a positive result, then at one time you were exposed to the virus. A negative result will tell if the antibody tests were false positive.

Either way, you do not carry the active virus; the PCR test is considered extremely accurate and conclusive to that end. I know the other poster had a very difficult time, and might have ended up getting legal counsel; to my knowledge, he hasn’t reported back with good news.

Let us know what happens with this, and if you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to ask here. Best of luck to you—

Bill
Read through this post from ‘hegs’ and see if you can glean any additional info from this. You might even contact him via private message and see if he’s made any headway on his end:

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/Hep-C-Scare-and-Joining-the-army/show/944370

Take care—

Bill
Hi Bill thank you for replying to my message haha yer funny story this is how i found this website because of hegs, i searched and searched for information and came across his story i joined this website to see if he ended up going in, i dont know if he uses this site or not still, anyway i went and saw the specialist infectious discease person today and they said that i am no threat and it also could be a false positive or maybe i have had it but its all gone because of the antibodies. he is faxing the army his letter either today or monday but since i read hegs story i hope they dont knock back his letter because time is running out!!!!!!!!!!!! my enlistment is 17th august
Oh, man; that is too funny! Talk about a small world, eh? No, you don’t have Hep C; the antibodies were most likely a false positive; either that, or you were infected at one point, but your own antibodies cleared the virus by themselves. Either way, you don’t have HCV, and are not contagious in any fashion.

So strange… and you and hegs are both from Brisbane, too :o). Good luck, and try to let us know how things work out for you… that way, next guy from Brisbane comes in trying to join the army, I’ll know what to tell him :o).

Be well—

Bill
Keep checking this thread for a few days; I'll private message hegs, and see if he responds. Maybe he'll have some tips for you by now--

Bill
mate im leaving on the 17 also
they did accept me also, out of the blue i made it in and leaving on the 17th
might  be putting all us infected ones together :D
ps i was on the verge of giving up, then one day out of the blue i got a letter stating  i am now medically fit to join. so ive got no idea man. depends on the viral load etc? even if you have that