needlestick
I got stuck with a needle at work the other day. It was not a hollow needle, just a needle used for monitoring purposes. I freaked out and asked about the patient's blood work, they said he had not signs ob blood-borne illness. I am still pretty freaked about it. Should I be worried. I was told the needle was a low risk needle and that the patient was "clean"
Sorry to hear about your needle-stick.  Do you work in healthcare?  All needle-sticks should be reported and followed up.  Generally the source patient is tested for communicable diseases when an incident such as this occurs, and there is follow-up for the employee through employee health services.  You were told the patient had "no signs of blood-borne illness" but many people with chronic Hep C have no signs of illness although they carry the virus.  We cannot consider any patient free of disease unless they have been tested.  And I don't know what they mean by a "low risk needle."  If the needle was used, it has been contaminated by the patient's blood.  

I'm not trying to scare you here, but I am suggesting that you follow your employer's protocol as to reporting the incident.  Most likely you are fine, but it does not hurt to get that reassurance.  It also covers you just in case the patient does have a blood-borne illness.  Best of luck to you.
The National Clinicians' Post-Exposure Prophylaxis Hotline

Phone: 1-888-448-4911
From the U.S. Center for Disease Control:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5011a1.htm

“Risk for Occupational Transmission of HCV
HCV is not transmitted efficiently through occupational exposures to blood. The average incidence of anti-HCV seroconversion after accidental percutaneous exposure from an HCV-positive source is 1.8% (range: 0%--7%) (73--76), with one study indicating that transmission occurred only from hollow-bore needles compared with other sharps (75). Transmission rarely occurs from mucous membrane exposures to blood, and no transmission in HCP has been documented from intact or nonintact skin exposures to blood (77,78). Data are limited on survival of HCV in the environment. In contrast to HBV, the epidemiologic data for HCV suggest that environmental contamination with blood containing HCV is not a significant risk for transmission in the health-care setting (79,80), with the possible exception of the hemodialysis setting where HCV transmission related to environmental contamination and poor infection-control practices have been implicated (81--84). The risk for transmission from exposure to fluids or tissues other than HCV-infected blood also has not been quantified but is expected to be low.”

Bill
Ah, there's the hollow-bore needle reference.  Thanks for posting this.  
well I havent reported the incident to work. I think its too late to bring up now. I would like to go get tested for anything though. should I just go to my primary? And what should I get tested for?
Drew, if it were me, I’d simply explain the incident to my primary care doc, and see what he says. He may decide the risk doesn’t warrant further testing, or he might initiate an HIV test along with a full hepatitis panel. He/she should have your history, and know what you have been vaccinated against, etc.

I imagine you have very little to worry about, but better safe than sorry.

Best to you—

Bill
thanks for all your help! I will head to the doc next chance I get
well they cant get me in till friday! Im freaking out now.
HCA
All of you good samaritans may care to check out Drew999's posting history.
what is wrong with the posting history?
waiting on my test results! Do you think 3 weeks is enough time to know for sure if I have anything?
HCA
'what is wrong with the posting history?
You are the genius who posted photographs of his own penis on the net and asked MedHelp members to look at them,whilst posting about a variety of percieved abnormalities particularly concering your genitalia and various STDs.
I see no valid reason for your posting in the Hepatitis C forum as even by your own account there was absolutely no Hep C connection.
what would have been an appropriate topic to post under? I don't see how a needlestick does not concern hep C... its one of the main concerns, I am vaccinated against hep B and HIV is lower risk than Hep C. Please enlighten me.
Drew,

It seems whatever problem you might be having it really has nothing to do with hepatitis at all.  For whichever ailment you are thinking you are having now it seems that a doctor is the answer for you. Posting pictures of your junk to people on the net and asking them to diagnose really smacks of a bit less then someone seriously trying to combat a disease. Have some modesty.

At best it seems a change in your lifestyle itself might be a good way to avoid penis bumps and accidental needlesticks and all of the like in the future.   Seriously and in all sincerity it seems a trip to a therapist might be in order to help get around this plethora of problems in the future.

Good luck there is nothing more to add to this thread rather than 'go see your doctor and if you can't wait until Friday go to the ER'.
PS If this happened the 'other day' at work it is not too long past to report it to a superior especially if you cannot wait until Friday to get a blood test.  

And if it's also three weeks ago and not the other day - I can't see why you are so upset about it right this minute and would suggest the same thing report it to your supervisor and get the blood test on Friday.

Four days isn't going to change anything and neither is four weeks.
I think the appropriate action is to follow you employer's protocols regarding needle sticks.  
There might be some more important info on this old thread

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-Social/Am-I-at-risk-from-a-Fishbone-Cut/show/617439
Thank you for sharing that I had forgotten how marvelously wonderful the advice we have gotten on this forum over the years has really changed  my life and made me a better person.

This was one of the best threads ever on the forum.  EVER. So much good info on that one!
Please don't thank me... All the wonderful people who contributed with their deep knowledge should be credited.
I dont see how a needlestick in the OR and a fishbone are related. and a change in my lifestyle? You have no idea what my lifestyle is, I work in a hospital... as far as my old posts, I dont see how they relate to this one at all, but I hot HPV from my second partner. Has nothing to do with this problem. I guess if you get an accidental needle stick in the OR and are concerned about bbp's it is an irrational fear. I have followed the company protocol. the incident has been reported and I am awaiting test results. I came looking for some comfort or to be able to talk about my experience.
HCA
Hepatitis C infection is not caused by needles,it is caused by infected blood.
As even your own version of the 'needle stick incident' eliminates blood borne disease the entire thread is worthless.
the needle was in a patient... then in me, hence a transfer of blood. it is one of the most common causes of transmission. IV drug user sharing needles = needlestick. mine was just an accident and a solid bore needle. Sorry i offended/annoyed people.
thanks for the help though. good luck to all who are in tx