Hepatitis C Community
new to this forum

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

new to this forum

I was diagnosis with hepatitis C 5years ago which at the time I must have had for 20 years it took me 2 years after that to do something about it. I have a history of addiction. (Alcohol and Heroin).as of the last 10 years only alcohol but the damage was done infected from my drug days....just alittle history. .Got sober went to a GI had more tests  liver biopsy it was determine I had type 1 stage 1..21 mil viral load..I decided to have treatment at with a new study drug of 3day and followed up with rib and Pegasus.after 1 month my viral load dropped to 100.000 I was freaked out with joy..and had very little side effects to boot.My joy was short lived as my viral kept climbing after 6 month it was determine the treatment was non effective and was taken off .I was very disappointed. I had a relapse and began to drink again.now I'm 9month sober have a new hepatologist, new biopsy shot up to stage 3 im shocked at the progression.  .QUESTION.  will treatment be effective are there new drugs on the market..or studies for failed attempt? ??
First it's great you quit drinking as that will speed up this virus like nothing else, sounds like you had treatment about 3 years ago? It would be a great help if you can remember what study drug you had tried. You sound like you were a non-responder to that type of treatment. Two of the drugs that I can think of back then would have been called either telaprevir or boceprevir, both are now on the open market. Though it could have very well been another as there have been several that ended in a flop.

If it wasn't either of those two drugs then they would be what you need to look into as both have very good cure rates, also there are others now in trial that seem to be very good. The main thing is your now stage 3 and it's very important that you treat and cure yourself, theres never been a better time to treat......... Try not to worry, it can be done. Many of us here thats been there done that. Welcome to the forum, ask questions and try not to freak out as all will be ok............. Wishing you the best.
Thank you for the encouragement..
I was told that the trail drug I was on was NS5A inhibitor does that make sense. Do you know what that is...I see my new doctor late this month..
It sounds like the drug trial you tried was BMS-790052 but maybe not one of the better arms. If I am reading your viral load correct it looks as if you had a 1 log drop at week 4 but had no further response when on what would have been just the Peg and Riba. It is great you are seeing a Hepatologist, I would ask with your prior response if your best bet is to try and get into one of the current trials as maybe that would be better then going on Incivek or Victrelis... Hang in there as there is hope, since your seeing him/her in a few weeks you should have some answers... Best to you.