normal enzyme levels, positive antibody test
Hello all,

I recently tested positive for antibodies to Hepatitis C but all my liver enzyme levels are "completely normal," according to the doc.  Still waiting on my RNA PCR test but was wondering what the chances are I cleared it on my own if my liver readings are fine.  I'm a 24 year old white male - not sure how I was exposed.  No drug use or tattoos, but was a little risky for sexual activity for a while and work in a hospital.

labman
Wait for the PCR test results...You may be one of the lucky 20% who has spontaneously cleared this bugger from your system! If you've had multiple blood exposures through work, it is quite possible this was your infection source...Mine was from an dirty needle stick while working a cardiac arrest...But I didn't know I was infected until 5 years later when it showed on a routine lab test...I can only imagine how you are holding your breath right now...(((((((((((((((HUGZ))))))))))))~Melinda

P.S. Remember, if you do have a viral load (+ PCR), Hep C is a disease of DECADES...You have time to figure things out and educate yourself on the subject and make plans...good luck...(I responded to the treatment, and have been hep C free for over a year now..)
Thanks for the info.  I'm just crossing my fingers right now.  This was a complete surprise - no symptoms or anything, so I'm just biding my time until the results come in.  But hearing the enzyme results was a plus.
Hoping you had a spontaneous clearance. It's not fun waiting for the lab tests.

It is hard for many people to pinpoint their infection. What type of "risky" sexual activity do you think was a possible cause? Are you HIV positive? Generally sex is a less likely route of transmission except for unprotected receptive anal sex or rougher sex that could involve blood. Being HIV positive also increases risk of sexual transmission and also speeds up progression of Hep C to fibrosis. I can send some study links if you want.
Nothing too risky - I'm a straight guy, not HIV +, don't engage in anal sex.  What I meant by risky is I have had sex without protection with several partners - mostly in college a few years back, more careful now.
If your Pcr test comes back neg (and I hope it does) ask for the confirmatory 'Riba' test.

If your screening test was a weak pos (<3.0), there is a good chance it was a false pos.

The screening test is VERY sensitive for all antibodies and can sometimes pick up

other antibodies besides Hcv.  The Riba test is VERY specific for Hcv antibodies only.

I have a feeling your pcr will be neg and your riba will also be neg.  If that is the case,

you were never exposed.

Let us know how this comes out.
So after the follow up tests it turns out that I am completely clear of the virus, which is obviously great news.  There was a confirmed antibody test, so I was exposed at some point, but I have no idea when and apparently I cleared it pretty quick.  Kudos to my immune system.
Well, that is a pretty nice Christmas present.  The only thing better would be a neg

antibody test.  But not having the virus is WONDERFUL!  Congrats.  You will probably

have the antibody for life so you won't be able to donate blood or organs.  A few people

lose the antibody, after many years, several decades.  maybe you will be one.

remember, having the virus and clearing it does NOT make you immune from

another infection so be careful.
CONGRADULATIONS!!!! THAT IS GREAT NEWS. YES YOU CANT DONATE BLOOD BUT YOU CAN DONATE ORGANS TO ONLY TO PEOPLE WITH HEP. AT LEAST THATS WHAT MY TOLD ME,BUT ANYWAY AS YOU KNOW AS A LAB PERSON YOU SHOULD STILL GET CHECKED YEARLY TO MAKE SURE NOTHING HAS CHANGED,AND I PRAY NOT!!!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!---ROCKIN516