Hepatitis C Community
odds of a 7 year old catching hepc from a razor

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

my 7 year old son was in the bath and decided to use my razor, which i have had hep c since 2003 and my counts are very low.my   question is how likely would it be that he could catch it since he cut his finger tip with it? should he be tested?
Hi.  I don't think age matters, as Hepatitis can be transferred from mother to infant.  Since the virus is transmitted through blood, even on a razor, I would put in a call/visit to your Pediatrician to see what they advise, especially since he cut his finger with it.  In the meantime, hide any razors you use and put your toothbrush out of his reach, if there's a possibility of him accidentally using it too.  Best of luck to you.
For that to be possible you would have first had to cut yourself with the razor, and sense HCV doesn't live long in the open he would have needed to cut himself shortly there after so the odds would be low.. If you think that was possible then have him tested......... Good luck

Cando
Survival on Surfaces
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), HCV can survive on environmental surfaces at room temperature for at least 16 hours but no longer than four days.
Call the epidemiologist at your local health center. My daughter was 32 when I was diagnosed. She and I shared razors for 20 years. She was tested 2 times, almost a year apart, NEG both times. I was married for 30 years n we all shared razors. He had same results. It's the first thing I thought about too. Fear is a mess, huh? Karen :)
If the kid is 7 and you've had HCV since 2003 (8 years) you should consider having the kid tested anyway since you birthed that baby while having HCV.  Although mother to child transmission is not common, it is possible.  No rush to test him since it's low risk - but maybe someday.
Most of us had our children tested when we were diagnosed.  Then we kept things that might transfer the disease far far out of their reach because while not probable it certainly is possible.  Responsibility is a necessary if you have hcv.
Hi. If you cut your leg while shaving and then he cut his finger, then unfortunately, there is a risk. Probably should tell your Dr and see what he thinks. Hope he is alright
Interestingly, when my son was WAY younger, the exact same thing happened when he was using my tub/shower.  He picked up my razor and cut his thumb with it when he was playing around with it.  I freaked at that time, but fortunately, he never did turn positive.  Another time, he used my fingernail clippers and I've actually gotten my blood on them prior to that-it had been several months, but still and I freaked again and he still never turned positive.  I had him rechecked several times, but he never got it.  My husband never got it from me either.  I am very glad that it turned out this way, you have no idea!  I have a strain that has been very resistant to treatment and I'd be feeling so guilty if I gave it to one of my family members!  Susan400
I used my brother's razor and I do remember cutting myself shaving there was blood. This is how I got the virus. The Doctors tell me that the virus can live at room temp for days. I had no idea. I wish you only the best outcome. If there was no blood then there is a good chance of not catching the virus.
It's unlikely but possibly.
He should be tested.
A tiny particle of blood, unseen to the naked eye, can spread the virus.

I had hep C for 30 years, without knowing I had it, raised kids, and they didn't get it.
Get him tested so you won't have to worry.