Hepatitis C Community
one mmore quick question on hep c

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

one mmore quick question on hep c

okay last year I had std testings done at my gyno and I came back positive for hepatitis c or hcv and so I went to a liver specialist where I lived at that time. The specialist sent me to a lab to have more extensive blook work done and that text came back that I just came in contact with hep C a while bak, I kno that means I still have the antibodies, but I jjust really wanted to know if one day it could changed and go back
The answer is no, your system beat it on it's own. Remember though you will always carry the antibodies. But they are not harmful.... Congrats.
Should add that it does not mean you could not be re-infected at another time so be careful.........Best
Congrats!  Be grateful you will only carry the antibodies forever, without a chronic infection! The majority that become exposed to HCV are not as lucky as you ;)

You are lucky, like Can-do and Mag said
I know one other person who evidently fought it off you are both lucky
Congrats
thank you very much for your answers. I went to donate blood and they told me I couldn't because of the antibodies which I didn't think you could give to anyone unless you are infected.
That's what they screen for is the antibodies when people donate blood, they don't do viral loads to determine an a five infection or not.  They won't use blood that has been exposed and shows up with the antibodies regardless if someone's infected or not.
Oops spell ck. :(
Should read "an active infection"

One of these years the blood centers are going to have to find a cheap way to test for active infection, as with so many hep c patients and an ever-larger portion cured but forever carrying antibodies, it just doesn't make sense to forever exclude these people from donating. I don't think blood donors are abundant enough that they can afford to forever exclude such a large group. Unfortunately, current tests for active virus cost a lot more money than those for antibodies.