Hepatitis C Community
organ donor question

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

organ donor question

Since my drivers license needs renewed this year I have been wondering if we can still be organ donors.  Hopefully my one year post test will still be negative, it should be but I think we all worry about that.  Thanks

Denise
No we can not be donors, another side of being in this exclusive club.lol   Yes your 1 yr. will continue to be negative, and you will continue with your SVR!!  good luck

I renewed my DL last month and, it was only at that time, that I realized that I was still down as an organ donor.  I took it off.
You should remain an organ donor because you never know. HCV is not a
disqualification. Many HCV positive organs have been transplanted into HCV positive recipients and perhaps HCV negative recipients as well.

From: http://hepatitis.about.com/od/questions/f/OrganDonor.htm

"...Some people think that having hepatitis means that they can't be an organ donor. This is a myth. People can still be an organ donor and have acute or even chronic hepatitis.

Organ donation is a tremendous act of kindness, and there is a great need for organ donors of all ages. In fact, there is no age limit. Even if your liver isn't in good enough shape for donation, perhaps other organs and tissues could be used by someone else.

Here are examples of organs, in addition to the liver, that can be used: heart, intestines, kidneys, lungs and pancreas. In addition, certain tissues can also be used: bones, corneas, sclerae, tendons and certain veins.

There are, however, diseases that will prevent organ donation. Examples of two relatively common diseases include being HIV positive and having actively spreading cancer."

We should get the straight because almost invariably the answer to this question is inaccurate. People who don't know are always quick to respond with: NO.
We should all be donors and just let the doctors determine the suitability of our organs for transplant.

Mike
Unfortunately even though we don't have the disease any longer we do carry the antibodies so they won't let us.........lots of us have been disappointed about that fact too.
This is the danger from inaccurate information. You can still be a donor but you have opted out. That strikes me as sad.
Mike
You can't give blood. You CAN be an organ donor. People should check facts INDEPENDENTLY before posting anything, especially this important  and not simply repeat something they've heard here which is wrong 50% of the time.
Amen!
Thanks and hopefully this will get through. Unfortunately I have posted accurate information regarding this issue at least once and probably more but it hasn't sunk in. With this issue people act so confident and certain that they know what they're talking about and almost always they're absolutely wrong. I know that I'm biased about this subject but I do think repeating this lie can not be helpful to those in desperate need.
Mike
"You can't give blood. You CAN be an organ donor."

How bizarre is that.  Makes NO sense to me (Our blood drive was just here at work and I didn't think to ask because I ASSumed since I'd read it here before that both were out of the question).

Sometimes it is GOOD to be wrong. It's just good I didn't die before finding out (but I wouldn't have known so it wouldn't have bothered me).

The logic is probably something like this. Blood is more readily available than organs so it's probably easier to just refuse blood from those with HCV so as not to infect others. In the case of organs, I assume at some point in the process these organs are designated as HCV positive organs and therefore the potential recepients and doctors can make an informed decision prior to transplant. Perhaps Mike has more info on this.

-- Jim
You are right, it is sad, but I did so thinking I was doing the right thing.  Now that I've been corrected, I intend to change it.  I have to say it is very confusing!
Thanks Meakea.
It's best to be listed as an organ donor and allow the doctors to determine whether any of your organs are suitable for transplantation - they just might be.
Mike