organics
Has anyone had any luck with dandelion root tea?  milk thistle?
Don't know about dandelion root tea. Milk thistle is widely taken to improve liver function. It does appear that people who take milk thistle can lower their liver enzyme scores. However, and this is a big however, there is no evidence that milk thistle slows the progress of liver damage due to hepatitis C. In fact, there is evidence to the contrary - that it has no positive impact. If you can afford it, it's fine to take it. It won't do any damage. You shouldn't delude yourself into thinking that it can address the underlying issue with the HCV. For the time being, that can only be addressed through the awful, expensive unpleasant drugs.
Here's an interesting summary re: milk thistle & its benefits for non responders (from the Meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver).  I haven't read the Gastroenterology article it refers to yet.  Just wanted to post this here, fyi:  
http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/2008icr/easl/docs/050208_c.html

I personally used milk thistle for a few years when I learned my liver enzymes were off.  I heard it could be useful for people who drink and read studies at the time that demonstrated some support for its use.  However, other studies were inconclusive.  I used to drink, not really heavily, but pretty regularly.  I thought maybe the milk thistle could help.  I may consider adding it again, but not every day or even 3x daily as the manufacturer recommends.

Mary (m_strings)  
I just read a disclaimer on the home page of hiv and hepatisis.com that states "The material posted on HIV and Hepatitis.com about EASL 2008 is not approved
by nor is it a part of EASL 2008".  Reader beware.  
Here's the correct link for the Eastern Assoc. for the Study of the Liver:
http://www.easl.ch/
dandelion root tea? My grandfather used to make dandelion wine..If you are in needed of the real deal, in a couple few months I should have plenty of supply (lol)
Had any luck with dandelion root tea? You betcha. I drank two glasses and had an hour long had at the **** table. I was smokin hot!
Mike
And young dandelion leaves are delicious. Give them an inch, though...
LoL...So Mike, have you been riding your bike? My folks spend the winter in Daytona bch, said bike week ended last week..Still freezing cold here, but I have been puttering with my car some, trying to synchronize the carbs and get ready for Spring.
I have a set of these, finicky gas suckers LOL!
http://www.pmocarb.com/products.htm

Waiting on results of my one year post pcr...fingers crossed...;^) pro
Carbs? Those look so good and pricey. I love carburetors but they are getting rarer and rarer every day. My bike is old and I run an S&S on it but the newer Harleys are EFI. I like something I can tune with my hand and ears without any plug-in modules but I've been thinking of another bike.
No, I haven't ridden this year. It's cold and there is still silt on the road so I'll wait till it's nice and clean and safe.
I have to check out your profile to see if your Porsche is there.
Good luck tuning.
Mike
I think if one was to walk close to the rear of my car they would have as good of a chance of the carbs sucking the virus right out of their body as they would ridding the virus dinking dandelion root tea...;^)
I put a pic up on my profile..
Nothing with CURE hepC except inteferon and ribavirin.  

Except maybe a good old fashion ride on a Harley could scare it outta ya!  ;)
Bill, I never did take milk thistle but personally can't see the harm, except that I'm conservative about taking too much of anything. Certainly my health food store promotes it and thinks it's a tragedy that I'm on interferon!  It's very popular in Europe, especially in Germany.

It can provide a false sense of security, though, because your liver can deteriorate, independently of the thistle.

Also, and more importantly, normalized enzymes may hide what's going on from your doctor, since it's often the LFT tests that are the first signal to your doctor to test further.

You first need to get a liver biopsy to see at what stage your disease is. Then you can decide your course, whether to wait or to treat with conventional drugs. You have several options but first need to know what's going on beneath the covers.

Check out the forum archives for many a heated discussion about milk thistle. Enter "milk thistle" in the "search this community - go" box to the right of your post near the top of the page.

Pro, all the best on your one year. I have my fingers crossed for you. Congratulations. I'm getting closer to waiting for post-tx results and it's scary already.

Too Sweet!
Mike
I'll cross my fingers but I figure it's a done deal - you're good to go. I sure hope that's the case anyway - and why wouldn't it be?
Good luck,
Mike
Dear Pro:

Nothing to even think about - it's over and has been for a while so don't sweat it.  Seriously you've done the heavy lifting already now it's just time for all the partying! (I mean hep style anyway LOL)    :)
My doctor is a principle investigator in the current NIH milk thistle study and he can not comment on the study.  I asked if he had a loved one with cirrhosis, would he recommend milk thistle, and he said no.  Not until there is conclusive evidence that the benefit outweighs the risks.  

Silymarin (Milk Thistle) Does Not Affect Hepatitis C Virus Activity or ALT Levels in HCV Patients, but Users Report Fewer Symptoms and Better Quality of Life than Non Users

http://www.hepcassoc.org/news/article165.html
Thanks for the pcr support....1 year post 72 wks of tx results are in......still undy!!
One more pcr to go at the 2 year mark and then my Hep Doc says he will discharge my case.........;^) pro
and best of luck to you portann!!.....and everyone of course
I'm a happy camper this morning, hearing your news.

72 weeks of tx and here you are, one year after that long, long haul, a confirmed SVR.

Shy or not, I hope you'll start a new thread to announce the news. It helps the rest of us to keep our eye on the ball.  Believe me, sometimes I wonder why the heck I'm going through this and it's a big boost to hear stories like yours. And how about a bit of background to your tx for almost-newbies like me?

Thanks, Pro, I'm excited for you. I'm going to grab some red grape juice and celebrate this minute. A toast to your good health.
Thanks for the update and congratulations on your UND = SVR.
I still get tested every month but I think it's senseless after a point - say 1 year. But transplant orders the tests so I get them and really, I don't think I have had a scintilla of anxiety for 3 or so months as the results roll out of my fax. It only took me 4.5 years ti get here but now I am cool with it.
I wish you the best in all things.
Be well and tune well,
Mike