Hepatitis C Community
organs involved in hep c

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

organs involved in hep c

When the liver starts to back up with toxins does it cause enlarged spleen, pancreatic bile duct enlargement, duodenum widened? Which it eventually backs up to the esophagus causing vessels to burst.
I've been told I have enlarged spleen , all the stuff I listed above. They try to check each organ but never issue the liver and hep c which I think are creating the problem.

I now have fatty tissue on the pancreas from 5 years ago and has gotten larger at last ct scan. They did a biopsy which revealed atypical cells which they don't seem to think is a problem. This really scares me with pancreatic cancer being pretty much a death sentence. I don't think watching atypical especially on the pancreas is a good idea. If this was to be treated, what options would I have?

I am a 54 year old female. I don't drink alcohol now and when I did, never alcoholically.

Thank you,

Pug613
Do you have HCV? Not sure what you are specifically asking but  if it is about your pancreas / cancer treatment,  you are in the wrong forum.
Best of luck
When you have  decompensated  cirrhosis, the spleen helps to filter out the toxins from your system which your diseased liver is having difficulty with.
The result is an enlarged spleen.

I think the bursting blood vessels you're referring to is from varicies, another side effect of decompensted cirrhosis.

Hep C is the number one cause of liver cirrhosis and liver transplantation in the US. having overtaken alcoholic caused cirrhosis some time ago.

I really can't speak to your problems about your pancreas, simply because I don't know have any experience with pancreatic problems.

Your doctor should explain these results to you in plain English that you can understand.

You really should be under the care of an experienced hepatolgoist at a transplant center.

Hope that helps you some.
Good luck.
Have you been diagnosed with liver disease or hepatitis C?

"When the liver starts to back up with toxins does it cause enlarged spleen, pancreatic bile duct enlargement, duodenum widened? Which it eventually backs up to the esophagus causing vessels to burst. ?

The liver does not back up with toxins. A healthy liver clears the blood of toxins such as alcohol, drugs, and other toxic substances. When the liver becomes very damaged it can no longer clear the body of toxins.

"Portal hypertension" which is caused by cirrhosis (the scaring of the liver). Portal hypertension leads to enlarged spleen and collateral veins that reroute the blood supply around that usually goes through the liver. These collateral veins are called varices. If the portal hypertension gets to high the veins can burst casing vomiting or defecating of blood. Which can be life threatening.

This only occurs in people with very advanced liver disease. Called decompensated cirrhosis. Which for a hepatologist and some gastroenterologists is easy to diagnose.

A abdominal CT scan can detect decompensated cirrhosis. So can blood tests.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I now have fatty tissue on the pancreas from 5 years ago and has gotten larger at last ct scan. They did a biopsy which revealed atypical cells which they don't seem to think is a problem. This really scares me with pancreatic cancer being pretty much a death sentence. I don't think watching atypical especially on the pancreas is a good idea. If this was to be treated, what options would I have?"

The pancreas is not related to liver disease so we can not help you. I am not sure what your problem is. Only a knowledgeable and experienced doctor who specializes in diseases of the pancreas can help you.

So we can offer no advice except go to a large teaching hospital for the best doctors and treatment options that may be available for your diagnoses.

A gastroenterologist is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of disorders (diseases) of the digestive system, gastrointestinal tract (GI tract), including the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, duodenum, large intestine, anus, rectum, pancreas, liver disease, gallbladder disease, and biliary system.

Disorders of the GI tract include difficulty swallowing, appendicitis, cirrhosis of the liver, gallstones, diverticulitis, diverticulosis, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), hepatitis, jaundice, hiatal hernia, cholecystitis, inflammatory bowel disease, enlarged liver or spleen, chronic pancreatitis, irritable bowel syndrome, indigestion, bloody stools, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s Disease, bowel obstruction, peptic ulcer, stomach ulcers, gastric ulcers, celiac disease, ulcerative colitis, hemorrhoids, gastric reflux, peptic ulcer, and heartburn. See a gastroenterologist for symptoms such as blood in stool.  

An endocrinologist diagnoses and treats disorders of glands and hormones. Specific organs in the endocrine system include the thyroid (which regulates the body’s metabolism and energy level), the parathyroid (which regulates calcium and vitamin D), the adrenal glands (which regulates water and mineral balance and produces steroids, amines, epinephrine and norepinephrine), the ovaries (which regulates female hormones), the testes (which regulates male hormones), the pancreas (which secretes insulin to regulate blood sugar and glucagon), and the pituitary gland (produces oxytocin and ADH and secretes precursor hormones for other glands to work).

Good luck!
hector