Hepatitis C Community
pain relief

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

pain relief

What is the best pain relief to take when you have Hep C ? I am not on treatment at this time and i have chronic back problems as well as the pains and fatigue associated with the virus.
The two things which are known to be bad for your liver are Ibuprofen and tylenol.
Aspirin is fine but probably won't do much for chronic back pain.Be aware of its blood thinning properties.

My spouse has chronic back pain and found the best thing for him is massage therapy and chiropractic work. But it has to be the right healers or it does nothing or makes it worse.

When the pain gets to him he takes a muscle relaxer only available by prescription.

Yoga can help back pain. Start slow.
Walking is the best exercise. Go as far and fast as is comfortable. Walk further every day.

Medications mask the source of your pain.
If you have a slipped disc, heat and cold treatment can help reduce the swelling.

Good luck,
OH
thanks for your suggestions...there is so much controversy out there about all types of pain killers and the effects on the liver
My doctor told me that acetaminophen (tylenol) is harder on the liver than Ibuprophen, that Ibuprophen is actually harder on your kidneys than your liver.  

It may depend on the stage/condition of your liver, but I was not advised to not take either, and when I specifically asked about ibuprophen, he said it was probably better than the tylenol.  

(I have degenerative disc disease, and pain in my leg 24/7, which seems to be even worse while on tx)