Hepatitis C Community
picture of my palmar erythema

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

picture of my palmar erythema

http://geocities.com/saltrange2000/lefthand.JPG

this is a picture of my palmar erythema on my left hand, taken last year BEFORE treatment.

Now, AFTER treatment, it has developed on the right hand as well, though to a lesser degree.

This picture was emailed to the liver conference in Boston and the doctors agreed it was palmar erythema.  the exact comments were "clinical evidence of liver disease".

i don't know what you guys think of it.

i've been infected a maximum of 4 years. platelet count last year pre tx was 348 and 272.

genotype 3a.  age 25.  treated for 24 weeks.  UND <50 at 7 weeks.  ALT 3 months post tx was 25, AST was 18.  No post tx PCR yet.
i think it was dr. Wolf who made that comment
If that is palmar erythema, then everyone I know has liver disease. Your red spot is so small, and so slight, that I am very surprised that anyone could make a definite diagnosis of liver disease based on just that. Maybe knowing your clinical history, and your blood test results, this area MIGHT be interpreted as a sign of liver disease.

Mark
That's erythema? On my hands the entire surfaces of the palms are bright pink.  How did you e-mail the picture to the liver conference?
FLguy,

a freind of my mother was a transplant doctor working in New Hampshire.  she attended the conference and showed my pics to the docs there.
i also have way more pink on my palms then that and just last week showed it (in person, not emailed) to one of the top hepatologist in the USA and he then showed me his palms and they were pinker then mine! his comment was if that is palmer erytherma then everyone must have liver damage because it is normal for most people.
what puzzles me about you is you will consume your life with worry instead of just going and getting a biopsy or at least a fibroscan / fibrosure. i would try and get the bx & pcr as soone as possible so you can get on with your life. good luck
Ive been looking at everyone's palms now . I'd say most people have pink palms.However there is a difference between pink palms and palmar erythema.Your damage I would think would be more extensive in order to get palmer erythema. Like I said most everyone has pink palms! to some degree anyway.
Oh honey thats just not bad at all..im svr and have more pink than that..and i bet you are svr too so just relax.....
by the way the doc i saw in boston had just wrote a paper on palmer erythema and he said the conclusion was it is never used by itself to detect liver damage. it can be used along with other markers as part of the "big picture".
I have palmar erythema and it doesn't look like this picture at all. First of all, it is much more red looking and it isn't a spot, but the whole one side of my palms. It is distinctly different than the color on the other side of my hand.

This looks like any average, perfectly fine hand to me.
I have more pink and white dots and yellow in my hands than that... LOL!

Interesting... So that's what that is called.

Meki
Holy Cow! That hand looks like a mime's hand compared to mine....

I also have very bright red spots that extend to outer part of my hand. I have been asked if I ever burned my hands, and docs have asked if I have ever been diagnosd with Lymes.
Your pic look normal to me.
My palms get pinker than that when holding onto my scooter handle. Is doctor "Wolf", the one who cried "Wolf" :) Wouldn't worry much about that if I were you. What counts will be your viral load tests, enzymes and other bloodwork.

-- Jim
BTW I emailed your pic to a palm reader friend of mine and she said you're SVR :)
Goof and JM - You just wanted to mention Rosy Palmer... I know you did... Go ahead... I won't laugh...

Hey Niceguy --- maybe that is a bad pic - but seriously - your hand looks LOVERLY compared to mine.

But --- I wanted you to know --- (ignoring all the sick jokes you're going to get when you mention red palms... hairy palms... etc.) I think it rocks that you put a picture up so I could see what it looks like on other people.

Thanks,

Meki
If I showed that to my Doctor he would probably slap me
Dear Niceguy2007,

Regarding your posting on palmar erythema:

What you show does not look like classic plamar erytema, instead it more closely resembles a "spider telangiectasia" which is simply a new group of blood vessels on the skin.  Both palmar erythema and spider telangiectasias are associated with liver disease, in that both may be caused to increased circulating estrogen levels.  Both conditions are not diagnostic of liver disease however and can be found in many diseases and physiologic states (i.e. pregnancy, thryroid disease, heriditary, etc...).   Therefore, spider telangiectasia are a sequale of your liver disease but by no means diagnoses liver disease in an individual with the sole finding of a red palm.

Best,
Rocco
Looked perfectly fine to me also!
Mine are red! both of them.
WOW I never heard of a Doc who diagnosed from jpg email

Do not think I would be worried if i were you
Sadly, my 26 year old son has been what I call a heavy drinker for nearly ten years. When he and his buddies get together that is all they seem to do is drink and talk.
The palms of his hands and soles of his feet have been a blotchy red, not pink...red for quite a while (months, years). I know that it isn't a rash. The colour of his stools on more than one occasion, (we had a slight plumbing problem this winter) were a very light brown, nearly a wheat colour. Of course I brought this to his attention, but he explained the colour was likely being food related.  
This past weekend he and a friend got really plastered and my son hasn't felt well since. He says he has never felt so awful as he does now, weak nauseated...flu like symptoms. He feels both hot and cold.
He told me a friend of his has a damaged liver and is receiving chemotherapy now. I'm surprised that, this young man is the only one (that we know of) who is in such bad shape.
My son has been a diabetic for 25 years as well.
I know the situation doesn't look good... It might be a toss up of diabetes complications (kidney) and hepatits or both.
He says he will "finally" see a physician if he doesn't feel better in a couple of days.