Hepatitis C Community
positive Hep C (1.7) for almost two years

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

This really makes me worried all the time.  I'm a nurse working here in Saudi Arabia. I had the medical exam one year ago and my hep profile is all negative,  Then after 6mos, we repeated the said exam and I had this reactive result in Hep c (1.39), based on my doctor's advice, I did PCR and its negative.  Just recently, I did again the yearly exam and to found out that I am reactive again (1.79). My world turns down again because I thought i was clear this time,  I just wanna ask why is it I had this positive results all the time and my Pcr is neg? Is there any medication for me to clear in Hep C? so that next time I'll  have negative results and no need for PCR to confirm... please do help me,, im realy upset:'(
Hi there,

Can you be more specific about the test results? The ‘1.7’ sounds to me like a ‘HCV antibody’ test result; if so, and the PCR result is negative, then you have nothing to be concerned about.

Roughly 20% of those that are exposed to Hep C will clear the virus in the initial six months of infection with their own immune response. This leaves the patient antibody positive, active RNA negative.

Antibody tests are not diagnostic for infection; only the PCR tests is. If you are HCV antibody positive, but negative by PCR test, you do not have the virus, and no further action is required on your part.

Congratulations,

Bill
You have the antibodies but apparently your body beat off the virus with your immune system - you will always have the antibodies., If your PCR is negative then you do not have the virus any longer. You are lucky.
Hi there,

Congratulations,

Bill
this exactly my condition i test positive for antibodies & negative pcr , don't worry you don't have the virus & you are cured ,about 15 - 20% get cured on their own with out medication but you will always test positive for antibodies ,it is harmless don't worry , your immune system created it
young age females have a very huge chance of clearing the virus on their own
        Thank you so much for your answer.  It made me smile now even still i have lots of worries.  Regarding ur question its written here HCV Antibody 3rd generation 1.73 reactive, my HBs Ab is >1000. Last year it was 1.6, so I repeated it again and the result is 1.3. My employer ask me to do PCR and the result is negative,  
       So just this afternoon I seek for doctor's consultation because my employer again is asking for PCR to confirm.  It's expensive that's why I want to use my existing insurance but Im not sure if it will be approve or no.I'm praying that It will be again negative and I hope next time it will not appear positive anymore...

I just wanna ask if it will be possible that on my next test I would be cleared from it, I mean it'l be non-reactive?
Thanks so much for the answer,, Do you think my antibody will be free from HCV or my result will be negative after sometime? Do I need to take any vitamins?
you will always test reactive to the antibodies singlelady this is why you need the PCR which is the virus count - if you have no virus it will say so, which means no VIRUS, but you will always test as reactive to the antibodies.  But it's a good thing because you beat the disease all on your own without having to do the miserable treatment that most of us do!  :D
I agree with NyGirl; you will likely carry and be reactive/positive for HCV antibodies for life. These antibodies are not infectious, and will not cause you harm; they are like a ‘fingerprint’ of the virus, but are not the virus itself.

Many of us have antibodies from other viral diseases; you might have anybodies from a flu you had as a child. The flu antibodies will persist as well, but that does not indicate you still have the flu.

The PCR test determines if active virus is present; this is the important measure of active infection. I can’t comment on the HBs Ab result; that is for a different forum.

Good luck—

Bill
"you will likely carry and be reactive/positive for HCV antibodies for life"

this makes me feel worry because Im planning to work in other countries like canada and US.. what if i will fail to work in that countries because I will always become positive in hcv screening,  What should I do? haiiistt.. and do u have any suggestions, i mean food supplements I need to take? What kind of doctor I need to consult? Thanks so much guys,, Your responses makes me feel less worried:)

No food supplement is going to take them away.  If you feel you need a doctor a gastroenterologist or heptologist would be who you should see but if your PCR comes back negative again you do NOT have  the disease you ONLY have the antibodies. If you had the chicken pox when you were a child then you have those antibodies however they are not harming you.  They are not active in any way.

I can't imagine why they would just randomly test you for hepatitisc - here in the USA we just about have to beg to get the tests to determine if we have it.  They dont want to spend money on these tests because they dont want to know you have it whether you are a nurse or not, they dont want  to have to pay for treatment it is extremely expensive.

They do not just test for these things here or in Canada (to my knowledge I am an American).

There is nothing to worry about you do not have hepatitis c.
Hi there, I am from Canada, and you would never be screened with that test here for any type of employment whatsoever. Hope that helps.  Will
your 1.7 signal is a 'weak pos' score on the screening test.  Ask your doctor for the

'Riba' confirmatory test.  Riba( Recombinant immunoblat assay) is a VERY SPECIFIC

trest which looks for the Hcv antibody only.  the screening test is VERY SENSITIVE

and may pick up other antibodies besides HCV.

I will bet that your Riba test will be Neg, which would mean you have no HCV antibodies

in your bloodstream.  your neg Pcr test means there is no Hep c virus in your blood

stream.

hope for the best here, singlelady.  the riba test is the 'gold standard' for hcv antibody.

Don't be down.  I have a feeling you will be VERY happy with the Riba test result.
Thanks nygirl7, by the way, if i have this positive antibody does it mean I can also transfer this antibody to others? so I'm not allowed to donate blood?
will, thnks for the info. because im planning to work there as a nurse:) i feel relieve.. thnks guys!
Thnks Jakie, i just wanna ask if I gt Riba test neg, wat do u think is the reason y my hcv screening is always positive?
in donating blood they will do fast screening for HCV  by screening for HCV antibodies , so in your case you will never be able to donate blood because you will always test positive for antibodies, i don't get it why are you so worried about your HCV antibody reactive test , these antibodies are completely harmless and you are totally healthy so just forget about it and go on with your life
When our body is invaded by bacteria or a virus it produces antibodies to the invader in order to fight it off. It's like when we get immunization shots so we can't catch things like small pox etc. We will always have antibodies in our body from the shots.

Apparently you caught HCV at some point and your body fought it off. Those antibodies are your body's defense system... something to be thankful for.

Diane
the Hcv screening test is 'enzyme based' which means it can react with  antibodies

other than Hcv antibodies.  this is the reason there are 'false pos' results among

patients in the 'low risk' group, which you appear to be in.

the Riba confirmatory test is very specific for Hcv antibody.  Most patients with a

'weak pos' result on the screening test are neg on the Riba test.

I stand by my belief your Riba will be neg, which means you do not have Hcv antibody

in your blood stream.

If I were you, i would ask your Dr for the Riba test.  you will know one way or another

if you are antibody pos.  i bet you will be neg.
i did the PCR test today as my employers instruction.  ill wait for it after 2 weeks.. il let u know once the result come..
you need to take the RIBA test... you are the same as me my results were 1.574 (very low reactive).... If Pcr test shows no viral load you either have never had the virus or have cleared it yourself..... RIBA is the definitive antibody test get this one done, as it is likely you will always be slighlty reactive to the Elisa (eia) tests, and hence will be a waste of you time and money etc...(and heartache)
Be Oh So grateful that you do not have live HCV, count your blessings and dont find anything else to worry about. life is to short and way to unpredictable.