Hepatitis C Community
post tx blood work

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

post tx blood work

Can the experts here tell me what protocol is for post tx blood work, particularly viral load?  Looking for time schedule.  Someone I know is post tx and asked her PA about 12 week tests and they told her not until 6 months.
Thanks,  rog
Not one of the experts but proper protocol is one at 12 weeks and then 6 months post tx. A lot of doctors, mine included also ran one at 4 weeks post.... a 12 week post und has a very high (over 99%) SVR rate. Regular CBC's can be run at the same time.......... Best
I think the experts went out for coffee, so I'll chime in too :)   I'd suggest you do a pcr at eot, just to be sure you are still und.   The durability of the 12 week pcr would justify this one also and most people are very anxious to find out.  I think having to wait 6 months is unreasonable.  I requested a pcr at eot and 12 weeks and have to convince my doc (GI) to do both.  The pcr at 6 months is standard.  Your doc will likely want to continue with the cbc's until everything is back in range, probably for about 4 weeks or so.  You should also have the TSH level checked just to make sure the thyroid didn't get whacked.

And a 2 month vacation to the Virgin Islands should be compulsory, minus the virgins of course.  lol.   Hope you're doing well Rog.
My doc did a 4 week post tx cbcs, to make sure my numbers were bouncing back. I asked him for a thyroid test as i had not had one.
My next test is the VL test with liver function, at 12 weeks post. And then I'll have the 24 week post VL test done.
I already have the paperwork for the 12 week post: jan 14th.
I was on triple with Vic. Never had to remind my doc on labwork.
C
  I waited an agonizing 12 weeks.  I have noticed my Doctor ordering labs for her patients who are cirrhotic, at 4 weeks, to make sure everything is okay with the labs, etc.
I had the full slew of tests at eot. Und and all other numbers as expected.  Doctor said protocol is eot, 12, 24 and 52 weeks.  I have blood  orders for the 12 and 24 week labs already.

My doctor has been very good about giving me what I need for tx.  I was fortunate to have minimal sx and breeze through.  What a year, Glad its over.

Take care all.  rog
  Yeah, it has been quite a year~ good luck, Rog :)