Hepatitis C Community
prefilled injectable vs pen injectables

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

prefilled injectable vs pen injectables

What is the difference between the prefilled injectables vs the pen type?

Wilful1
I've done both the PegIntron RediPen and the Pegasys prefilled syringe (currently doing the Pegasys)  The PegIntron RediPen looks like some space aged plastic gizmo whereas the Pegasys prefilled syringe looks like your average everyday "shot".   With the RediPen you actually turn a  dial at the bottom to adjust your dose and the syringe you follow the measurement markings on the syringe.   The needle on the RediPen seems to be just slightly shorter.

I personally feel more secure using the prefilled syringe than I did using the RediPen.

Mouse
Why did you feel more secure about using the prefilled syringes?
Wilful1
I had 5 failures with the redi-pen, it seems I got a bad batch, where the product was mixing incorrectly.It is quite stressful when it fails, if feels like you have "wasted" something, but my wife is a nurse, and we were definitly mixing correcty. I actually gave up on redi-pen, and mixed myself (which is also an option).

In saying that, it may have just been dumb luck, perhaps the batches are better now?
Thanks for the feedback.  My doctor's appointment is tomorrow and I want to be sure I have as much information as I can about the options.  Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences, because my best friend is a nurse, so I am sure she will help me learn the correct way to inject myself.

Wilful1
I use the redipen for the peg, and fill my own syringes for the procrit.  I've had good luck with the redipen.  I like the teensy weensy needle, too short for me to get it wrong.  Also, I'm not dulling the needle by piercing the drug vial first, its so small and so sharp that I don't even feel it.  With the syringe I always feel the shot more, because the needle is dull (and also because procrit stings a bit.)

Whichever you use, don't let the injection process throw you too much.  You'll be amazed how quickly it becomes a real ho-hum routine.  Good luck.

jd
What I did, and you can ask your pharmacist for this...  I used this syringes(needles) that were very tiny, that come in a box labled TB syringes.  The needle top screw on and off and you can replace them.  What alot of doctor's offices do is once they've drawn up the medicine in the syringe, they remove the needle that was used to pierce the vial and replace it with a new needle.  So, you're always using a new, non-dull needle that way.  Those TB syringes are very tiny and are these replaceable type.  Like the ones that are used on the prefilled syringes for the Pegasys, same priniciple.  If you are on an injectable medicine like the Procrit, you really don't need a 2nd prescription for these type of syringes.  As always ask your nurse about it and your pharmacist.  But, it's way less painful that way using a fresh needle.

Susan400
Thanks, I'll try that.

Only 4 more weeks to go!!!!!

jd
I did have one RediPen malfunction (the dial would not turn) but I can't say that is why I feel more secure with the pre-filled syringe.  I guess it's just that I can "see" the medication going in with the  syringe whereas with the RediPen you really can't.  I know it sounds strange, but I'm a hepper and we are not normal.  .

Mouse