Hepatitis C Community
pregant 1 month after ribavirin treatment

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

what is the chance of my baby being  healthy after only one month after my partner has finished his ribavirin treatment?
I think they recomend you use protection during treatment and for a while after treatment.  You should talk to a doctor, and/or call the pharmacutical company.
http://www.drugs.com/mtm/ribavirin.html

http://www.drugs.com/pro/ribavirin.html
Oh my, didn't anybody warn you about this??? It clearly says do not get pregnant for at least 6 months after treatment... This is unreal, yes call your doctor.....
Adding to 1oftheclub's comments:

http://ribavirinpregnancyregistry.com/
I am sorry you are faced with this circumstance and hope things work out.

I don't know what the chances are for your baby to be healthy. Ribavirin carries strong warnings against becoming pregnant during treatment and for 6 months after treatment. This warning applies to the female if she is on Ribavirin  and it also applies to the female if her partner is on Ribavirin.

I am not trying to upset you, but this warning is very clear and the doctor should have instructed you and your partner about the risk to the baby if you became pregnant  and should have instructed both of you to use 2 forms of birth control during treatment and for 6 months following treatment.

"Ribavirin Pregnancy Warnings

"Ribavirin has been assigned to pregnancy category X by the FDA. Nearly all animal studies have revealed evidence of embryolethality and teratogenicity. There are no controlled data in human pregnancies. One published case reports the uneventful use of ribavirin at 33 weeks gestation. Ribavirin therapy is contraindicated in women who are pregnant and in the male partners of women who are pregnant. Female patients receiving ribavirin and the partners of male patients receiving ribavirin must avoid pregnancy, using at least two reliable forms of contraception, during treatment and for 6 months after completion of treatment. To monitor maternal-fetal outcomes of pregnant women or female partners of male patients exposed to ribavirin, a Ribavirin Pregnancy Registry has been established. Healthcare providers are encouraged to register patients by calling               1-800-593-2214       (USA).

The manufacturer recommends the use of at least two reliable forms of effective contraception during treatment with ribavirin and during the 6 months after completion of treatment. A negative pregnancy test should be obtained immediately before the planned start of therapy. Health personnel and visitors who are pregnant or trying to become pregnant should also avoid contact with aerosolized ribavirin until more information is available. In one adverse drug report, 3 nurses who worked in the same intensive care unit gave birth to babies with ventricular septal defects. However, only one mother was possibly exposed to ribavirin 5 months prior to estimated conception. A specific causal relationship has not been established."

http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/ribavirin.html

I would suggest contacting your doctor immediately and discussing this with him/her.

I wish you the best of luck.
Hi Bluebel: In addition to the excellent link 1oftheclub222 provided, here is a link to a ribavirin medication guide:

http://www.spfiles.com/mgrebetol.pdf

I doubt anyone on this forum can actually provide you with a quantitative probability/chance of your baby being healthy. That's probably not the answer you were looking for, but I don't imagine studies have not been done to analyze groups of people who got pregnant at 1 month, 2 months, 3 months etc after Ribarivin treatment. V/r, GB