Hepatitis C Community
pregnancy

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

pregnancy

my spouse and i are wanting to have a baby, i have done the research but i am still afraid. i know there is only 4 out off 100 babies that that contract during delivery... is vaginal safer than c-section?.i need a mothers to help.
Why don't you first try to tx and clear the virus.
I had 2 babies while having the virus although it was years before I was diagnosed and both are fine healthy adults.

C-Section is not recommended over vaginal birth in hep C positive moms. Like you said there is only a 5% risk of the baby being born infected. Although all babies born to positive moms will have the antibodies for 1-2 years. 95% of them will clear those away.

I'm not sure the suggestion to treat first is wise. We do not know the results of taking ribavirin on your fertility or over a long period of time. I would definitely talk to the doctors about that if you are thinking of treating first.
I'm not sure the suggestion to treat first is wise. We do not know the results of taking ribavirin on your fertility or over a long period of time. I would definitely talk to the doctors about that if you are thinking of treating first
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree taking riba and interferon before getting pregnant isn't something I would do either, but these doctors are giving everyone the "green light" after waiting 6 months post tx. Personally I think its a risk whatever decision a HepC positive woman makes when thinking of having a child. It just depends what risk you choose.

i have done treatments..last treatment was done jan of 07 and i came back undetectable. retested in july and my count was back up to 65,000..
been eating healthy and exercising...we have been talking about having a baby for awhile. im 30yrs old and my eggs are not getting any younger....just really nervous and scared
You said you've done 'treatments" (plural?) Sorry to hear that it didn't work out. I can understand now why you didn't mention tx. I guess you want to just get started. Sbella, 30 years old still gives you plenty of time to have a baby. Its the lack of patience as we get older moreso the eggs. My eggs are probably powdered eggs by now and yet doctors could probably do something that I would be able to conceive if I wanted.

Why don't you make an appointment with a Hepatologist at a University Hospital and bring all your past labs from when you tx and ask him what you should do. He may say he thinks its fine for you to start a family or maybe he will think your tx wasn't as aggressive as maybe it should have been and thats why you didn't clear. But letting him know how you feel and hearing what he has to say I think would make you feel alot better. But as far as age - you're a baby, you have plenty of time so don't even worry about your age. My grandfather was one of 18 children (no twins) and his mother had her last child at age 56. True story,evidently she was very fertile and you may be too, so try not to worry.
sorry i should have been more specefic, did six months of instead of full 11, max dose. i was undetectable at 3 the at 6 so my doctor said it was probably to discontinue. i guess we were wrong.
ive read that breastfeeding and contracting was inconclusive....has there been any more studies to prove other wise?   off subject i contracted from a pt via blood draw needle stick during my clinicals