Hepatitis C Community
prevacid and yellow stool

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

prevacid and yellow stool

Kind of a messy, personal subject, but....
I started taking prevacid a few weeks ago for an esophogial ulcer (non-malignant), I had stomach aches for on about day four or five that went away. My heart burn and pain in my sides is gone.  My stools went from normal to yellow and remain that way. I contacted my local GI who is not my hep c specialist. He acted like I was worrying too much and said this is normal because my food is going through me quicker then pre-previc acid. I called because the list of side effects in the literature said this was rare and could meant liver problems and that I should call the doctor. (I have hep c with moderate stage two liver fibrosis)
Just wondering if anyone else experienced this. I don't feel bad or have any yellowing eyes or dark urine which is often associated with this.
Yellow Stool
Yellow stool can indicate that food is passing through the digestive tract relatively quickly. Yellow stool can be found in people with GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). Symptoms of GERD include heartburn, chest pain, sore throat, chronic cough, and wheezing. Symptoms are usually worse when lying down or bending. Foods that can worsen GERD symptoms include peppermint, fatty foods, alcohol, coffee, and chocolate.

Yellow stool can also result from insuffient bile output. Bile salts from the liver gives stool its brownish color. When bile output is diminished, it often first appears as yellow stool. If there is a greater reduction in bile output, stool lose almost all of its color, becoming pale or grey.

If the onset is sudden, yellow stool can also be a sign of a bacterial infection in the intestines.
I've been taking Nexium for years and had that problem when I first started. It should clear up in the near future. Any diet change?
Thanks Boobert,
I was tested for the bacterial infection and they found none. I have been a vegetarian for 35 years. Recently have purposely been losing weight and not eating food with added sugar in addition to a low fat diet. I eat lots of carrots (betacarotene), but I did that before the lansaprozole (prevacid). The color definitely changed after the med change. I have gerd and as a result the esophogial ulcer which was biopsied and non-malignant. I have the cough and lately my throat has become very constricted. often feeling like a pill is stuck in there which really *****.
Appreciate your relating you're experience.
Dave
Dee1956 commented on Belle313's status
34 mins ago
Dee1956 commented on photo
39 mins ago
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
Track your weight over time