Hepatitis C Community
pritikin diet.

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

pritikin diet.

what is the pritikin diet?
I don't know but it doesn't sound to swift. Try looking on the web.
Pritikin info: http://pritikin.com/

Founded by Nathan Pritkin, the Pritkin diet has been around since early 70's. The diet was far ahead of its time and demonstrated that arteriosclerois could be reversed by diet intervention. Very much like what Dean Ornish is saying now. This diet is also excellent for diabetes, overweight, high blood pressure, etc.

My dad visited the Pritkin Center in the mid 70's after suffering a heart attack and I have no doubt that the diet extended his life 15-20 years.

I've also been on the diet on and off, and when followed carefully my cholesterol was reduced dramatically. Of interest here is that my ALT and AST always normalized when following the diet and always rose when I went off it.

The Pritkin diet consists mostly of complex carbohydrates with small amounts of daily protein. Total fat is under 10% of total calories. For this latter reason many feel the diet is hard to follow and that is its biggest criticism -- compliance.

I'd say it's a great diet to look into if you are disciplined and either like to cook a lot or have someone who will cook for you. If you can afford to visit the Pritkin Center, it would probably be a real treat.

-- Jim