Hepatitis C Community
procrit injection using 3 ml syringe – fill from where to where?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I had written that I was having a problem with preparing the procrit and getting air bubbles.   Someone recommended using a  larger syringe.  Now that I have the larger 3 ml syringe....I do have a question about filling it.  With the 1 ml syringe which I was originally using ....it is a very narrow syringe and i filled the syringe with the procrit solution from the top of the syringe where the needle attaches down to the 1 ml mark.  However, with the 3 ml syringe size....I see the 1 ml mark (black line)  but I also see a mark (black line)  towards the top of the needle.  Do you know if I fill the 3 ml syringe from the 1 ml mark to that top black line mark or do I fill from the 1 ml mark to where the needle attaches at the top of the syringe.  For some reason, I am still not comfortable with this procedure.  I have taken 6 weekly (1 ml = 40,000 units) of procrit and my HGB has not increased.  For the past 6 weeks, my hgb has gone done each week....from 8.5 to 8.3 to 8.4 to 8.1 to 8.2 and this week was 8.1 .   And that is with 2 riba reductions (1000 mg to 800 mg to 600 mg).   I just want to make sure that I am getting all the procrit that I need.  Thanks.    Ginger
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble w/ hgb and procrit. Mine is a one shot "pot" of med. I pull back n put the needle above the drug to let air out. Then I just let go and it fills automatically. I tilt and pull the needle down to bottom of bottle as it fills.
I'm really surprised you aren't getting faster results. I hate that for you. Are you taking a multi vitamin and getting rest plus water. It seems lame.... So much of this is beyond our control, but I somehow feel better thinking that my actions might help.
Don't worry about the RIBA. It didn't seem to change m UND. Is dr concerned? My big concern was to get through the whole 48 weeks. How many more do you have left?
Holiday Blessings,
Karen :)
I find the Procrit syringe terribly confusing and harder to use than my pre-filled Pegasys syringe.  I may have sent you this link before but have a look at page 3, step 9:

http://www.procrit.com/sites/default/files/pdf/PIU.pdf

Also, my nurse told me to do 10,000 and had told me how to figure that out on the syringe.  I have since forgotten.  But, she also told me it would be between the 2 and 3 mark on the syringe.  I kept feeling unsure (because of air bubbles and difficulty of the syringe) but I followed the instructions above and felt that it was correct.  Maybe call your tx nurse to see if you can get more training, or maybe your pharmacist can help.

Also, 6 weeks seems like a long time to have no response, and even going down further.  You doc may want to move on to whatever comes next, rather than pumping you full of another drug with its own side effects, that is not helping you.  After 2 doses (40,000, then 10,000), my HGB went from 9.9 to 10.9 to 11.7.
You can take your syringe to the pharmacist and they can tell you what line to fill it to. Your blood is low but not to bad, mine went down to .6 and that's when it really gets bad. I have had to have two blood transfusions and procrit, finally got up to 10 and am feeling a lot better. God Bless and Merry Christmas
ginger
I answered you by pm but now I want to clarify.  Do you have a 40,000 unit vial and use all the the liquid in the vial or do you only use part of the amount?  I use all of it each shot and after I fill the syringe, I can pull the plunger back a little more causing a larger air pocket at the narrow part of the syringe where the needle screws in.  This pocket of air does not matter because after I remove that needle and screw in the smaller injection needle, that is when I push the plunger up until a drop of procrit comes out the needle.  This makes the plunger line more or less right on the 1 ml line.

bee
Wow - this is news.  I have been out of town all week and am thrilled to see the change of heart by your doctor and the use of Procrit.  It is having a remarkable effect and I am so happy.  I am sure you feel like a new woman!  
thanks all for your great advice.    I figured out that i need to fill the syringe from where the needle attaches to the top/hub of the syringe down to the 1 ml mark....but for whatever reason, i have trouble filling that full amount.   guess we can only do the best we can.     thank you all again....i wish everyone well....and all the best in the new year.....ginger.
hi karen....seems like my doctor wants me to treat for 48 weeks based on my history.  i finished 12 weeks on 12/21.    just taking it one day at a time.         stay well.... and good luck.   ginger