Hepatitis C Community
protein powder

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

protein powder

someone made a suggestion to me to drink protein shakes before I start tx.  Can anyone suggest a good one?  Chocolate?

How about good diet for omega 3's and low iron diet?

BTW, getting copies of all records when I go to dr tomorrow!

Thanks!
Avatar n tn
Sorry off topic. Does this sound right? Before hubby started treatment he had surgery on his knee. It felt better for sometime but then started bothering him. In the last month he is back with terrible pain. His job requires him to be on his feet. He does not take any meds but the treatment meds and vitamins. But he has recently taken some advil because of the pain. It only dulls it some. I tried to call the GI for some pain meds but at first would not prescribe anything. Said to see the surgeon. Well the surgery was year ago and he was released. I call the primary dr who would only prescribe what the GI said. So I called the GI again and this time was told he could take only tylenol up to 2000 mg a day or the standard over the counter dose of advil. But that he would not prescribe a painkiller. Is everyone here on treatment; who is in pain not allowed better pain relief than over the counter meds. I know hubby has to be careful what he takes but the dr cann't give him anything?
Goatein protein powder is the best. You take it while on tx. Not before. The best price is at the Vitamin Shoppe, $34.99. Just take 2 tablespoons of flaxseed oil with yogurt or cottage cheese every day for your Omega 3's. Eat plenty of vegetables.
Thanks for the advice.  Should I start and type of protein drinks before treatment?
There are a bunch of people in here who ARE on pain meds of various types. It seems many of us (I guess because we aren't so young anymore LOL) have a lot of aches that are pretty serious and we do take pain meds if needed.

Percocet - Vicoprofen etc.

I'd just say WHEN you get something for him (don't give up!) make sure not to take them regularly though because most of them do contain either tylenol or ibuprofen...and with a liver condition you don't really want to be taking two of them every 4 hours or something if you know what I mean.

Stick with it - doctors just don't understand PAIN I understand they worry about addictions and stuff but come ON now = that IS what they were invented for!
I use the whey protein powder they sell at Trader Joes, dont know if you have Trader Joes but it's cheap ( 5 bucs a can)and good also comes in chocolate. You can make yogurt smoothies, use yogurt, soy milk, frozen berries and other fruits and whip it up in the blender. That is packed with antioxidants and easy to get down if you have a queasy stomach. You asked about omega 3's, those are found in fish and whole grains. I'd switch off of red meat and substitute fish or chicken. Eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies of all colors. Fresh greens are good too, lots of salads. Raw fruit and veg. are ideal. It is recommended you eat 5 servings of them a day.

You can use any brand of whey protein, a close substitute that is available in any grocery store is "carnation instant breakfast" which is a protein powder but it is quite expensive comparatively speaking.
Avatar n tn
thanks for the reply. I forgot about vicoprohen. That is advil with vidine(?). It seems like they could prescribe that. I am just so aggrevated by the doctors. No one wants to step out of their little box to help people.
Avatar n tn
is there a site that tells about liver friendly medicines?
Avatar n tn
Hey there,
      Look for the highest caloric intake in my protein drinks as well as protein levels.  When I mix my drink in the blender, I mix it with whole milk and drop two scoops of chocolate ice cream in with it to make it more of a smoothie.  The brand that I use is EAS ( Experimental Applied Sciences ).  Met-rx is also another good one and is cheaper too, but just as good.  It benefits me and my post workout from the gym.  Hope that this helps.

In Christ,
Rick
Dee1956 commented on spider6's status
Dee1956 commented on No Cirrhosis of the L...
Emily_MHModerator Survey link - https://goo.g... Comment
Track your weight over time