Hepatitis C Community
rash and itching

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

rash and itching

my husband has developed a itch and when he starts itching it becomes a rash mostly on his torso upper legs and arms started about 2 months ago. now its happening at night. he has cirrious of liver and hepc. can this be related to the liver not working ? he is being seen every 6 months for mri of the liver and spleen. spleen is now 22cm enlarged. he is getting worse everyday. not sleeping and even takes ambien cr. mood swings etc.. is there anything he can take for the itch he is taking advair so he cant take benadryl. hope you have a suggestion. we go back to philly for a checkup in about 3 months. thank you  debby401
I use OTC hydrocortisone cream for some rash/itching problems and it works pretty well for me. There is a stronger version (Clobex, I think) that is available by perscription.
I forgot to say, my itching is due to TX drugs (I believe).  Itching and rashes are common symptoms among patients with cirrhosis, also.

Best wishes!
I believe they call it Riba rash. It is one of my worst sides. Red small dots that when itched become an open area that lasts a long time. I believe people heal slower when on this TX. They never seem to go away completely. I have seen a Dermatologist and my Docs just give me ointments that help with the itching. One side effect of the meds is sun sensitivity. The sun irritates my skin even through the car window. A lot of people on this site recommend Gold Bond in the green bottle with the red cap. It helps with the itching and dry skin. The best thing for the dry skin is to drink an insane amount of water.
I wish you and your husband well.
Connie