"reactive" not again........
I'm back. I've been lurking but I can't really offer any advice or info that is not already provided. A little history.... I did the IDEAL study (48 weeks) and relapsed. I then did 72 more grueling weeks and had all of the rescue meds onboard and cleared YEAH. My husband recently tested positive for HCV. He was clear about 7 years ago when he was initially tested. Great huh? You go along thinking that you are being careful.  So I go and get tested and picked up my labs and it says HEP C AB reactive. I was clear in May. They did not do an HCV quantitative or RNA this time. Is this a definite positive for the virus. Or (hope hope hope) does this mean that I am positive for anti-bodies? Anybody out there?????
Hi Indyjo—

I recall seeing posts from you in years past. If I understand your story correctly, you previously treated and cleared the virus, as in SVR?

If so, you will always test ‘reactive’ or positive for HCV antibodies; these persist for life, despite your active viral status. Antibodies alone are not contagious, nor do they pose any specific threat to your health.

I don’t have enough info to remark on your husband’s status, but it seems you’re fine, based on the info you provided. If you feel you might have reinfected or otherwise have somehow redeveloped the virus, it’ll be necessary to order a ‘HCV RNA by PCR’ for confirmation.

Good luck to you and your family—

Bill
Looks like they did an antibody test not a PCR which was kind of dumb on thier part because even though you cleared the virus, you will always test positive for antibodies which is no big deal.  

Question though, on your negative PCR in May how many months post treatment were you?

Trinity
:o)
Thanks for responding. Whew (wiping sweat from forehead). Looks like I need to call and get more definitive testing. I have been nondetectable for 12 months and am hoping it stays that way. I'm not sure what kind of testing my husband had done. He follows up with his PCP in 2 weeks. He did get a letter from the Board of Health notifying him that he has a contagious disease. I'm assuming that his doctor ran the appropriate tests. Though you would think my hepatologist would order the full meal deal wouldn't you? Thanks again!
I’ve been SVR now since my last interferon injection back in August of 2008. The research and transplant facility I treated with no longer even tests me for virus with PCR any longer; even though I would still be positive for antibodies. They feel strongly that SVR is durable; if you have been undetectable for virus for 12 months, the only way active virus will return is if you are re-exposed from a new source.

I wouldn’t read too much into the board of health letter to your hubby either; they may be required to send that due to antibody results only. He will likely require additional confirmatory tests as well, depending on what has been taken already.

If you like, request hard copies of all tests and procedures, and someone in here will help you interpret them.

Best to you and your family,

Bill

Anyone who clears Hcv will keep the antibody to HCV  for a LONG time, maybe the

rest of your life.  Some people eventually clear the antibody, after a few decades.  

the HCV antibody is not a health problem.  remember, clearing Hcv once does not give

you immunity to re-infection so be careful.

Unfortunately, there is no vaccine for hep c.  THAT would be great.