Hepatitis C Community
responsibility of the meds
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

responsibility of the meds

Can anyone explain exactly the role of what each drug does: the shot(interferon),ribavirin and victrelis?
I start treatment Friday and I'm a little nervous. I tried treatment 2 years ago,but only made it to week 3 due to bad side effects. This is my second go around.
Related Discussions
7 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
its all very complex - but simply stated

IFN - has been shown to possess direct antiviral, antiproliferative, and immunomodulatory activities.

RIBA - has similar properties and also causes errors in viral replication

used separately neither of these drugs are approved as monotherapy - they seem to benefit each other and together are approved as combo therapy

VICTRELIS and INCIVEK - these are protease inhibitors - they directly attack ( inhibit ) the replication ability of the virus

good luck this go round - maybe treatment time can be shorter for you - side effects will still be an issue - maybe not so bad as to discontinue treating - hang in there and best wishes
Blank
What's the difference between protease inhibitor and polymerase inhibitor?

Blank
96938_tn?1189803458
The purpose of each is simple: Interfereon gives you the flu, victrelis gives you a rash and the riba gives you everything else.
Blank
1669790_tn?1333666195
I fortunately did not have a mouthful of coffee while reading that comment.  Bravo :)
Blank
Protease inhibitors: Hepatitis C viruses use an essential enzyme called protease (pro-tee-aze) during their replication process. Certain drugs can interfere with this enzyme which stops the virus' ability to copy itself. Drugs of this type that have reached the market for treating chronic hepatitis C are Victrelis and Incivek.

Polymerase inhibitors:  Each time hepatitis C viruses replicate, they use an enzyme called polymerase to copy their RNA (genetic code). Polymerase inhibitors are drugs that interfere with polymerase. Two types of polymerase inhibitors target the polymerase in different ways: nucleoside analog polymerase inhibitors nonnucleoside analog polymerase inhibitors. None are available outside of clinical trials at this time.

Blank
I'm free associating here and hope I'm not too much off topic with this dumb question,  but...I happened to notice on the bottle of digestive enzymes that I had been taking that they inculde protease enzymes.  Is that the same thing?
Blank
As I recall, if you read the materials closely, they are not quite sure what interefron does or how it works.

Be careful.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank