reversing cirrhosis

My father has been a heavy drinker for the 35 or so years and recently he has been diagnosed with cirrhosis.  he has completely stopped drinking for the past 3 months and has no cholesterol or high blood sugar. I'd like to know what his prognosis is provided he can keep off the alcohol. Is it possible that his fibrosis & cirrhosis might reverse?

I'll reproduce all the lab report data below.

ECHO Scan:
""there is diffuse coarsening of the parenchymal echo pattern and slight increase in echogenesity of the liver which shows loss of volume, more marked in the right lobe. The normal smooth regular hepatic contour is maintained. There are no focal lesions within. Intra hepatic and extra hepatic ducts are not dilated. Portal venous and hepatic venous radicles are within normal limits and former shows low amplitude flow pattern. Main portal vein is dilated measures 14.1mm in maximum diameter and shows low amplitude positive flow. Hepatic artery shows evidence of increased resistance to the forward flow. There is minimal mural thickening of the gall bladder measuring 5.2mm in maximum thickness. However the normal distensibility of the gall bladder is maintained and no calculi are present within it.
Spleen is not enlarged, maintains its regular contour and normal uniform echopattern. There are no focal lesions within. No dilated tortuous vessels at the splenic hilum
No free peritoneal fluid is present.””

Liver profile:
Total protein             76.7 g/l
Albumin                      36.6 g/l
Globulin                      40.1 g/l
Bilirubin Total              .91 mg/dl
ALT                               19.4 U/l
AST                              40.7 U/l
INR                                 1.43
From the information you provided I don't see any signs of cirrhosis. What type of doctor said he has cirrhosis"

From Ultrasound report:
"The normal smooth regular hepatic contour is maintained." This would not be the case if he had cirrhosis. The liver would be nodular.
"Spleen is not enlarged" The spleen would be enlarged do to portal hypertension caused by scaring of the liver (cirrhosis).
"No dilated tortuous vessels at the splenic hilum". If he had portal hypertension a complication of cirrhosis the vessels would be dilated.

As long as he never drinks again his liver should be able to heal itself. If he doesn't have hepatitis C or something else that is damaging his liver. Does he have hepatitis C?

Hector
Thanks for the reply hector. The doctor who suggested that he has cirrhosis was a gastroenterologist. We've also done an antibody test for hepatitis B & C and both of them have come as negative.