Hepatitis C Community
riba reduction vs procrit????

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

riba reduction vs procrit????

My dr., reduced my riba last friday from 1000 to 600  waiting on procrit. HMG went from 10.5 to 9.6 and a week later 9.3 I have after tomorrow 5 weeks left. Called speciality pharmacy today to find out about procrit and still waiting on insurance approval?????? Serious?? Its been a week? So now my question is with only 5 weeks left and not even having the procrit yet and it takes 2 weeks to kick  in whats the point? AND am I compromising svr staying on reduced riba for that long. I have been und since week 4 geno 2.
My riba was reduced from 800 to 600 when I noticed getting shortness of breath.
I do feel better.
Hector sent me some research showing riba reduction does not affect SVR.
So don't worry, be happy!

As far as procrit, I've never done it but my hepatologist offered to start me on ADs yesterday and I said the same thing as you.

Hang in there.
OH
"am I compromising svr staying on reduced riba for that long?"
No.

"A Practical Guide for the Use of Boceprevir and Telaprevir for the Treatment of Hepatitis C"

http://www.clinicaloptions.com/Hepatitis/Treatment%20Updates/HCV%20New%20Agents.aspx

Excerpt..
"....In the same pooled analysis of treatment-naive patients in ADVANCE and ILLUMINATE, RBV dose modifications (reductions or interruptions) were not associated with lower rates of SVR in patients who were treated with a telaprevir-based regimen.[60] Anemia appeared to have no association with SVR rates."

60. Poordad F, Sulkowski MS, Reddy R, et al. Anemia had no effect on efficacy outcomes in treatment-naive patients who received telaprevir-based regimens in the ADVANCE and ILLUMINATE phase 3 studies. Program and abstracts of the Digestive Disease Week; May 7-10, 2011; Chicago, Illinois. Abstract 626.

Best of luck with SVR!
Hector
You might want to follow up with your insurance company, sometimes things get lost in the maze...I had to make quite a few calls to get my peg approved...my doc said they sent in the request, the insurance said they didn't get it, then the wrong thing got approve and so on and so on...
Hector has addressed th question about "not" compromising your SVR.

On the question of the procrit..It seems surprising that your doctor has ordered it now with only 5 weeks left  and like you say it can take 2 or even 5 weeks to kick in.

9.3 may feel somewhat lousy however for most (unless there is some other underlying health issues,,especially heart related) there is usually not dangerous being at that level)

Possibly a discussion with the doctorto see if he really thinks adding another powerful drug to the mix at this juncture is beneficial..

Hang in ,almost done!!
Will
really anxious to get blood results from yesterday after being reduced since friday. Two callls into md today and getting ready for three! Feelilng much better so I know it had to have gone up. I actually went shopping the other day. Amazing, I havent left the couch in a week. Your right Will almost done!!! :)   :)   :)
with 5 weeks left i wouldn't start procrit...reduce the riba and take it easy...if you don't do much you should be ok with hgb around 8 to 9 for a few weeks...mine still isn't all the way back 10 weeks post tx...at 13 was 15 before tx...good luck...billy
just heard from the dr. office and after almost a week of reduced riba hmg back up to 10.2!!!!!!  Now thats awesome! No wonder I feel human.
I also have five weeks left and the last two blood draws showed hgb 9.2, wbc1.2  and neutrophil  .5. They reduced RIBA 1000 to 800 and hgb has stayed the same but I swear I feel so much better!  My point is this late in the game they have me still draw blood weekly in hopes of not adding helper drugs. I have remained stable at 9.2 for sometime now, when I am done and it gets back up above ten I am going to dance!  Enjoy the 10.2
three shots left!!!!!!!!!! I am doing weekly draws because of my hmg, still reduced and feel "ok" not great . Week 20 vl done last wednesday so this week I get that result and with the grace of god still und and then one more. Until I start the march of looking over my shoulder for 6 months making sure it isnt creeping back up on me.  Good luck to you Brianmo and hope the next 5 sail by........  :)  LOL at dancing, too funny I love to dance and went out to dinner last night with my daughter and my grandson he's four and he asked me to dance. LOL too darn cute!!!