Hepatitis C Community
safest otc pain medication for Hep C patient

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

What is the safest OTC pain medication for Hep C patients? Had always heard that tylenol was most harmful. Then heard that tylenol (acetaminophen) under 2000 mg per day with no alcohol was, indeed, the safest.

Also, that been told that all NSAIDs (which tylenol isn't) were the worst to take with Hep C, especially aspirin and ibuprofen! And the only remaining otc NSAID was naproxen (Aleve) which I haven't heard anything on.

Please help. I currently take 15 mg. immediate release oxycodone for chronic lower back pain. This is small light green pill and doesn't contain any acetaminophen or NSAID. However, I still have occasional headacheseven with the strong pain med I currently take.
i'm in a clinical trial. my study nurse and my doctor told me i could use motrin.  i get body aches the day after my shot.  i only need one 200mg.  it helps me.  take care.  belle
Are you doing hep C treatment? Whatever meds you are taking need to be taken into consideration when adding another med to the mix.
As always it's best to check with your doctor.

No alcohol for hep C patients but smaller amounts of tylenol is okay~ larger amounts can be very toxic to the liver.

I was told I could take aspirin as long as my platelets were above 100.
Ibuprofren is known to be bad for the liver.

Not available to everyone but used by a friend of mine with chronic back pain is medicinal cannabis.

Good luck.
OH
Ibuprofen is bad for the liver and tylenol is safe? I'm so confused...I was told the opposite. Ask your doctor for solid advice. I see mine in two weeks, I'll be sure to ask.
I've read that they are both bad for your liver, yet the doctors advise taking them for pain while doing treatment, with a restriction on dosage.

At one time tylenol was almost taken off the market for causing liver damage and I know of people who've had emergency liver transplants from taking too much.

Let us know what your doctor tells you.
I was told by my doctors office to take advil about an hour before the shot to alleviate some of the issues.  This is just proof once again that none of us get a consistent answer from our doctors.  I seriously think that they have no idea and just throw something out there.  I have been skeptical about the advil, so I don't take it..  I just suffer through..  Best of luck to you.
It often comes up here which is the best pain med to take.Everybody is different as far as risks go depending on many health issues.Article below explains some of these for those that haven"t see it.
Will

Liver damage. Acetaminophen, the No. 1 nonprescription pain reliever, does not cause GI bleeding, but long-term frequent use or even large single doses can cause severe liver damage. In fact, acetaminophen overdosing is the most common cause of acute liver failure in the U.S., often as the result of suicide attempts. Most people still don’t know about this risk and don’t realize that acetaminophen is in hundreds of OTC cold, allergy and headache products and some prescription pain relievers. Check labels for acetaminophen, and don’t take more than 4 grams—equal to eight Extra Strength Tylenol tab--lets—a day from all sources. Alcohol (three drinks or more at a time) and certain other drugs increase the risk. Heavy drinkers and those with liver disease should  limit, acetaminophen. Taking the drug while fasting also increases the risk.

• Kidney damage. NSAIDs (and acetaminophen to a lesser extent) can damage the kidneys. If you have kidney disease, talk to your doctor about pain reliever safety.

Here’s our advice  From  HCV Reasearch:

For healthy people who take OTC pain relievers as directed, the risks are relatively small. However, because these drugs are so popular, thousands of Americans are affected every year. Don’t let these concerns prevent you from taking the drugs if you need them, but do follow this advice, especially if you take pain relievers often:

Added by HectorSF: In regards to chirrotics,for pain:

Cirrhotics are ONLY allowed to take Acetaminophen as a over the counter pain med. No NSAIDs due to increased chances of internal bleeding, kidney damage, salt and water retention, increased hepatic encephalopathy (HE). All complication we are trying to manage.

And those with cirrhosis should limit acetaminophen to 2 grams  or under a day.

Should have been able to put this up in  one post....

Will
So in the final analysis Acetaminophen - is ok to take?  That would be Tylenol?  2 grams would equal 4 extra strengths Tylenols - from the reading above.  Is oxycodone allowed at all?  Is oxycodone a NSAID?  Sorry, Maxman I too am trying to understand what is permissible.  From the above one would gather that Tylenol is allowed to an extend?

I think kmatuscon has the remediy "suffer through it".  All very confusing but the post above were very helpful.
millie

I only take tylenol the night I take my shot.( I'm doing SOC)
There is no need to suffer just be frugal with your use.
Side effects fluctuate so take, as needed.

Thanks OH. not treating yet - but with Stage 2/3 - most likely by summer.  In pain right now - will take your advice.  (hate to suffer)....

Maxman -thanks for asking this important question.  
millie
I don't know what kind of pain you're in but there's always things like massage, hot compresses, and ointments for muscle pain that do the liver no harm.
These can be more difficult during tx if you have skin issues too.
When it comes to pain medication (or any drug for that matter) any doctor prescribing ,first and foremost should be very familiar with your history.
One size "does not" fit all.
For people "without severe liver damage" or other serious health issues(as per the article above)   most over the counter pain meds are ok,  ,however always in the prescribed doses and ideally not for extended lengths of time if possible.
Keep in mind though for people with gastrointestinal issues and/or possibly kidney problems then a doctor would need to be more specific on what to prescribe .
For people with  cirrhosis (again,as the article states) and most knowledgeable Hepa"s advise  "Only " acetaminophen is usually advised to take as Nsaids(ibuprofen ,Motrin  the cox 2 inhibitors etc) can cause problems with bleeding issues.
With any degree of liver disease it is always best to speak with a doctor who knows your history before taking any medication..

Best..
Will
My doc said to take only Tylenol for pain and to stay within the dosage requirments stated on the bottle. Best of luck.
Will and OH- thanks a zillion.  
OH It was just a back pain - in the end I actually just relaxed and I was fine.  I will continue to avoid them unless absoulutely necessary to help liver.  Had I not stumbled on this forum I would have been taking them without knowing possible consequences - I never abused them but hey one less is one less the liver has to process.

Thanks all - I'm taking good notes from the Hep C University as I now foundly call the forum.

:-)millie

I don't see oxys on the list but CHECK with your Dr. also Aleve is in the same drug class as ibuprophen which are all metabolized by your liver. For me they have recommended tylenol, no more then 4 extra strenth a day and only if I really needed. Only take OTC if you absolutely have to, always talk to the pharmasist. medical marijuana is ok too, if you use a vaporizor or take it orally, otherwise you may have addition lung issues. regular massage therapy is very benificial to back pain.

http://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/interferon-alfa-2b-ribavirin-index.html?filter=2&generic_only=#O
I have chronic back pain, too but I'm so scared of any nsaids as they also cause kidney failure if taken regularly as we were told at the transplant center by several Drs. At least that was consistent. I take a couple of Krill oil softgels and turmeric 3x a day ( they are great anti-inflammatories which helps. For headaches, I've read good results from the feverfew herb.
I, too have taken just 200 mg.s for pain and amazingly it's woked. It is crazy, though, my liver Dr. told me to take tylenol also for the body aches, which  the Docs at Beth Isreal in Boston also said. Wouldn't it be heavenly if insurance paid for massage? It's not affordable for everyone especially with med. co-payments. My absolute best pain relief, pre-surgical for back pain was accupunture.I was blessed enough years ago, to find a Christian Chinese practioner who would not even accept payment from me. It worked in one session for months!! If you can afford it or have insurance that will pay, give it a shot! It can really help! Wish you the best Honey and aa prayer to help, to!