Hepatitis C Community
schweppes tonic water quinine

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

schweppes tonic water quinine

I read at WWW.peoplespharmacy.com/2010/10/11/is-quinine-in-tonic-water-safe/  there are 83 mg of quinine in 1 liter.  My question is,  if I drink a liter every evening would this cause me to have a positive results from a drug screen?
I thought Quinine the drug was taken off the market in the US?  Is the quinine in the soda the same that was in the Quinine drug I got for leg cramps years ago?

Quinine used to be a prescription drug, to have it in a tonic water would be great but is this possible, I mean I know it's possible but I don't think they're one and the same.  JMHO
They wouldn't test for quinine on a drug test.  Tonic water is sold in every grocery store in the country, it's not illegal.  They use quinine hydrochloride in tonic water and I believe quinine sulfate was prescribed for muscle cramps prior to the FDA pulling it off the market but they are one in the same.
At the peoples pharmacy web site they say the FDA proclaimed quinine in treatment amounts for wrestless leg syndrom (syndrome) (200-300 mg) is too dangerous and quinine should only be used for treating malaria.  This website states that FDA has allowed it's use as flavoring for tonic water to be continued and some people are sensitive enough to find medicinal value for cramps and wrestless legs.  Also they mention that the toxins are enough to cause some people blured vision, ringing in ears, rash and itching and for those people, they should stay away from it.  I know it sounds out of character for the FDA but thats what it says.  I don't suffer from these sx when I enjoy it with lime on the rocks but I do want to remain compliant to hospital protocol but after reading I dont know if it's necessary but I feel if I call the hospital and ask I'll get a definate,  Don't You Do IT.

Thanks for your reply,

Griz

Griz
Griz, what are you trying to remain compliant to?  I believe you've stopped treatment correct?  A glass of tonic water with lime will not hurt you especially since you are not sensitive it.  Many people here have posted they drink it for leg cramps even while treating.  The amounts of quinine in tonic water are not harmful and it's certainly not illegal.  If you work in a hospital I would imagine there are plenty of doctors and nurses who enjoy a vodka tonic occasionally or maybe every night so I guess I don't understand what your point is.  

Trinity

Trinity
Thank you for your answer.  I was just a little nervous, and they always test for alchohol also which is sold at every store and is not illegal but to remain compliant with their protocol you must test negative every time and the penalty for failing one of those (usually random) tests is severe.  So I thought I would ask.

Thank You much,

Griz
point or question was would i fail the test.  As for the rest of it I am temporarily not treating and like many others am waiting for PIs next year.  But for local GI/Hepa treatment I must stay registored or whatever the correct term is with hospital and they still have the right to call me and require a blood alcohol-urine drug screen at any time.  As for the Dr.s and nurses I feel certain their are many of them who drink tonic water occasionaly, mabe even with alcohol, but they are not the ones being tested. I am.  
  I couldn't findout by checking the web if this would be wrong for me, considering the ciircumstances so I thought I'd ask.

Thank you again for your reply,

Griz
Interesting, now I know where to find quinine.lol  Of course I don't need it anymore because I don't have to detox anymore.  I learn something new everyday!!
Did you get the question?  There seems to be some uncertainty.  I really just wanted to know, without guessing, If I take a drug screen tommorow, will the quinine in the amount I described above (83mg) a day show up or not?  Thank you for your interest and I still don't know the answer.

later

Griz

The answer is they're not gonna test you for a drug like quinine. Drug testing is very expensive and normally nobody checks for drugs like quinine.  I really don't think you're even gonna be tested.  What are you going for tomorrow anyways, I was in a clinical trial and they never tested my urine, ever.  It won't come up on a standard drug test that checks for amphetimines or opiates so don't worry about it.  Don't worry be happy!  good luck

I just thought of something!  So you think you might give a false positive on a drug test, is that what you're saying.  Quinine should only give a false positive if you're being tested for cocaine and that may happen, not always happens.  If you're gonna be tested for certain, then just tell the UA nurse/attendant that you drink tonic water regularly.  There's nothing wrong with it and there's no reason to hide it.  It's not illegal or anything and you've done nothing wrong.  good luck

http://www.ipassedmydrugtest.com/drug_test_faq.asp#false_positives
I can tell you many,  many years ago when I was in out patient rehab they told me it would make me test positive. I dont know why but I certainly remember that they did (I was going out and told them if everyone was drinking I would just have tonic and lime and that is when they said no it will cause you to test positive). This was however about 25+ years ago. It could have changed since then because the tests are more sensitive or something. I dont know anything about it though I just at the time decided to drink a coke instead. Ironic.

I drink it for my leg cramps and it has helped me a lot.