sex and hepatitis c
How likely is it to catch through sex?
While sexual transmision of HepC is possible it is highly unlikely.
Its a Blood born virus and requires blood to blood contact.
No blood no transmission

CS
so if i had sex with someone who had it, and there was no blood present, then i probably don't have it?
There are no known cases of Hep C being spread by normal sexual contact. Rough Sex is another story. It is also easier to spread from a woman to a man for obvious reasons if the woman has Hep C and they have sex during menstuation.
There has never been a documented case of transmission via menstrual blood.

Scared640
No the chances of you catching HepC from someone who has it from sex is really low.
The have been several studies of long term monogamous couples up to 10 years and their conclusions were that the risk of transmission is low or even null.

There are plenty of other diseases you are more likely to catch with unprotected sex.
CS
Was this safe sex?

"Getting Hep C by having sex is extremely rare, but it could happen if someone has sex with a lot
of different people, and engages in risky behavior. Many experts believe that the risk of spreading
Hep C is very low if people have sex with only one person over many years. But if the person
with Hep C or the person you are having sex with is worried about catching Hep C then use condoms
(rubbers) during sex. People who have many sex partners or who have other sexual diseases should always use rubbers and take other precautions, such as covering any open cuts or wounds since these could pass Hep C during sex. Hep C is also easier to spread while a woman is on her period."

I copied the above from this site info: http://hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets.asp

Bottom line, if you are worried then you should get tested.
Scared, you have already asked this q.  Sexual transmission has a low but not zero chance of transmission.

Your risk is very low and you should be tested ONLY for peace of mind.  Just do it!

To Bobby : Sexual transmission is more likely male to female, not female to male, Fyi.
Jakied, re: your comment "To Bobby : Sexual transmission is more likely male to female, not female to male, Fyi."

I disaggree. The Femal to male transmission rate is higher because of menstruation.  Please google "menstrual blood and hcv" and you will find plenty of information to confirm this.

http://www.schering-plough.ca/English/your%20health/hepatitis/default.asp?s=1

I dont agree with either of you. There has never been a documented case of transmission thru mentsral blood. Dont think its more likely male to female either. Wheres the evidence. Doesnt occur in monogomous couples why would it ocuur in other cases. Remember the MSM HCV rate is at roughly the same level as the hetero rate.

CS
My doctor, for better or worse, says that it's possible to transmit it through oral sex, particularly male-to-male.  Has anyone heard of this?  I'd think it's POSSIBLE if there were blood in the semen (for whatever reason) & the other party had bleeding gums or sores, but barring these, COULD it be spread through semen, or "bodily fluids" & not just via blood?
What exactly do you mean by "There has never been a documented case of transmission via menstrual blood". How could you ever document something like this? Blood is blood ,basicly.
thats what i get a kick out of...documented case..whats that  ?? ..i know i have hep c...same geno as my x...there was always lots of blood around...even if i was just me cleaning up the rags off the floor after the dog got to it...so who knows???we also had sex 7 times...billy
You could well be right about that.  i base my comment on what the Cdc says and several books written by hepatologists such as Melissa Palmer.

It makes sense to me that male to female transmission would be more likely than female to male.  Just because of simple anatomy.  Female partner is the receiver.  I belive that is what the Cdc and Dr Palmer base their comment on.