Hepatitis C Community
sex exposure

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

sex exposure

the female was bleeding but had a condom. I want to kno if i was at risk for contracting hcv? how accurate is a hcv rna by pcr test?
I would like to know If i was at risk. Because my concern is the blood touching my penis and the head of penis and utrea too. Is this a risk? Or hcv is transmitted only by blood to blood contact meaning rubbing a cut or open wound to another cut or open wound with blood? Also how accurate is a hcv rna by pcr test? Thank you.
Definitely get tested, everyone should.  PCR very accurate wait a month after exposure. Hep C isn't an STD an STD is defined as a disease with a high probability of sexual transmission. Sexual transmission of Hep C is rare.

But that's the only way you'll know, it would suck if you found out 30 years from now from a messed up liver, when you could have killed it this year.
Thank you. So wait a month for the pcr test. I thought it was at 2 to three wks for the pcr test
You may be right about the time line. My one month has a margin of error built into it, to compensate for my poor memory.....lol.

In any case good luck !
Was I at risk for contracting hcv from the exposure?
I was reading that a hcv rna pcr test is tested after someone test positive for hcv. Is the pcr test fda approve? How accurate is the test?
For one thing she would have to of had Hep C.  Her blood would of had to get into you bloodstream.  Key is get into bloodstream, not touch you but get into bloodstream.

The PCR test is highly accurate.  As far as FDA approval, I have no idea.  You don't have to question the validity of the test.  The process is used every where in the world, every day.
So I had no risk than?
Would it be worth it to take the hcv rna pcr test? Thanks for the feedback.
I can't say for sure. If you think no blood could have possibly gotten into your bloodstream then no.  But if you had any open wounds in the area it's possible.  The urethra is not an open wound.

yw for the feedback no worries.
open wounds meaning cuts that are bleeding.
Open wound: An injury that is exposed due to broken skin. An open wound is at high risk for infection.

I would think and this is my humble opinion, that any open would would provide access to the bloodstream, whether it was actively bleeding or not.  Again just my opinion but a scab is not the equivalent of skin.

You ask a good question.
Thank you, well when would you be able to get a realiable test result for hcv?
The better test is to test for viral load via PCR at two weeks post exposure I believe. That way you don't have to wait around for 6 months for an antibody result. Antibodies are a result of your body fighting an infection, but it takes six months for the highest degree os accuracy.  So if you're concerned cut to the chase and get a PCR test for viral load.
Ima get it done on monday which is 21 days after the exposure.
Would that test be conclusive?
"Her blood would of had to get into you bloodstream.  Key is get into bloodstream, not touch you but get into bloodstream. "
Always wondered about this one. How does the fact that ones circulatory system is under pressure effect the thesis?

Proactive, sorry but you lost me.
My post was more directed to towards James's quote...I'll restate differently in a (rated for all audience) manner. Let's say you are driving down the road(out whoring at a bar) and run over some glass (sexual encounter). The glass cuts your tire (penis) and air (blood) begins to leak(bleed) out of the cut because it is pressurized (like a human circulatory system). When the mechanic places that tire in a tub (yep, you guessed right) of water ,the air (blood) leaks out, the water in the tub will not go into the tire cut because the tire is under higher pressure than the water (blood) in the tub. So I've always been curious how blood from one could get into the blood of a body of another via simple blood to blood contact.

Rambling, my brain is frozen, Spring brought -1 degree temps this morning.
Maybe goofy will help me out here with an answer..")
I understand your point.  That may be why some doctors swear that Hep C is transfered panetarally meaning direct injection into the bloodstream.  Another thing is does the blood that bled out go back into the bloodstream ?

Maybe the virus can swim through the blood like fish going up river?
My last questions. Was I at risk of contracting hcv from this exposure. Thanks for anyones feedback from this stressful situation im going through. Thank you. The female was on her menstrual but I had a condom on. Thank you.
Would a well informed person answer my question that Im concern with. Thank you people.
??????????????
The hcv rna by pcr test is very accurate.  But your chances of contracting the disease in the situation you described is very close to zero.  Get tested if you're worried.
If you get the Pcr test, make sure it is the qualitative test NOT quantitative.  qualitative is more sensitive than quanti.  

fyi
So its a no risk situation?
Like the Doctor told you on the other forum.  Just to make sure, you can never have sex again.
In the end, that might be the most wise advice you can give.

If you can't trust a doctor you shouldn't trust a group of us on the internet.  Get tested since you are still so worried and then you will know there is no way any of us can know for sure, most magic 8 balls dont work via the internet.

Although the magic 8 ball might in fact be what lead me here after all.
if you promise to god to never have sex again then you will be ok
"Although the magic 8 ball might in fact be what lead me here after all."

Well i've done my share of 8 balls in my life so that could be what led me here also.
------------------------
"the female was bleeding but had a condom."

Not quite sure i follow that one
Thank you for your information and time but im asking you people if I should be worried of contracting hcv from this exposure or even test for it. You people are well informed in this situation. I would like to know if I should be worried and get tested. If this was a no risk situation  to contracting hcv. Thats all I would like to know. Thank you!

Yes ...many people here are well informed,,and no less than a dozen of these good folks have given their time to you ,,some numerous times telling you that your situation.posed no risk,however if you were concerned then contact your doctor and get tested.

You also have been asking the same questions over and over on  the HIV forum,the Herpes forum and numerous times on the STD forum, so many times on that forum that a doctor there told you to stop asking the same questions so many times.

There are many people here dealing with a serious illness that have given you much of their time and advice,and as the good doctor told you on the other forum there is nothing more for you to gain by continuously asking the same questions .
We can't have too many menstruation threads in my book. Just keep 'em flowing.  

Goofy...at least she had a condom on tho..??
He says only that she had it - not that she wore it. My guess is that she was carrying around a bloody mary in it - with a lemon wedge jammed down into the resevior end and the celery stalk sicking out through the salted cling-tight band. Hopefully not a minty flavored one - that wouldn;t go well at all.  

LOL!
Thank you Willybb. She didnt wear a condom. I was the one that had the condom on. Thanks for your time.
I meant to say willbb
Just to clarify it. I HAD SEX WITH A FEMALE THAT WAS ON HER MENSTRUAL PERIOD. THE WHOLE TIME FROM START TO END I HAD A CONDOM ON. THANK YOU.
STOP IT.  THANK YOU.
See the doctor and ask for medications for OCD they will benefit you more than a hep test.