Hepatitis C Community
skin peelin off!

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

skin peelin off!

3 months post tx... as i wait for my LFTs... a one cm patch of my skin under my ear is peeling off...and it hurts too! damn it seems like psoriasis!

i must have frikkin overdosed with pegasys...cuz 180mcg at 60 kg is quite a lot if u compare it to the pegintron weight based dosage!

I am on 180 of pegasys ... 124lb/2.2=56kg it seems to be overdose too.
same with riba   1000/56=17.85 per kg.
interferon cannot be cross dose compared. each interferon is completely different
and has its own unique dosage and concentration characteristics. on the other hand, riba is cross dose comparable, it is all the same (no matter what its proprietary name) and dosages are the same, although ive seen slight variations in the weight based dosing charts.
Ask your doctor about using Elidel (pimecrolimus) Cream 1%. It's a non-steroidal immunosuppressant often prescribed for psorisis, seborrheic dermatitis and eczema (atopic dermatitis). Some of us, including myself, had skin problems like you describe both during and after treatment, and yes, interferon is probably the culprit as it overstimulates the immune system so that the body (skin in your case) overreacts to stimuli. Hopefully, things will get better with time, but it could take a number of months or even a year or more. If the skin issues don't clear up soon, try and see a dermatologist.  One thing to be careful of is using topical steroid preparations, especially on the facial areas -- unless under the direct supervision of a dermatologist. Hope things get better soon.

-- Jim
Medication caused psoriasis treat w/daivobet ointment (toward end of tx).
Jim, what is the danger in using topical steroids?  Al
Not a complete list -- but thinning of the skin, steroid resistance, steroid rebound (thus some docs have you taper off the stronger topicals), and in some cases the development of steroid rosecea which can be a terrible mess.

Keep in mind that topical steroids can not only be safe but are often a real lifesaver when used properly and under the supervision of a skin specialist (dermatologist).

The problem is when people use the topical steroids longer than prescribed, self-treat with some leftover steroids from a past problem, borrow some from a family member or friend, or simply call in a rx to their PCP from some well-meaning but ill-advised post they read in a discussion group like this. Also, some MD's who aren't skin specialists have a tendency to prescribe steroids that are too strong and for too long.

The biggest problem with topical steroids are the facial areas, and as mentioned some derms prescribe to the school that you should never use even OTC hydrocortisone on the face. In my case, at one point I was prescribed a mid-strength steroid (Cutivate) for my face, but only for a two-week period. At that point my face was a real mess, but once it calmed down, the steroids were stopped and I was switched to Elidel, a non-steroid, without any of the aforementioned. It should be mentioned that Elidel has a "black box warning" but is routinely used by most good dermatologists even with infants.

-- Jim

Thank you very much. Al