Hepatitis C Community
sore in kidney area/other questions

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

sore in kidney area/other questions

I am having some soreness/cramps in the area I believe my kidneys are and some tenderness. I do drink a lot. Often over 100 onces a day and I weigh 130 lbs. Could this be a problem? Has anyone experienced this? It's much more on the right side than the left so at first I thought maybe it was my liver but I do sometime feel it on the other side too and it's more toward the back. I did have liver pain in my 2nd month on tx but it went away after a month and that was more in the front. The pain is on my upper outer back area under the lower rib area. It's not real severe pain just tender, sometimes more than others. I wonder how concerned I should be and if this is common. Other than that I am doing fairly well on my 8th month of tx.
I hope eveyone is well as can be. I'm just returning from a nine day business trip. Fortunately this time my sides were minimal while gone. LL
Hi, have you had your gallbladder checked? mine went wacko when I first started treatment, but did not find out it was my gallbladder for several months. My pain was in under my ribs around to my side and in my back. You may want to have it checked out.
If you've developed a cough from the ribavirin and are coughing a lot, that could cause the type of pain you are describing. Just a thought. Mike
I don't know if this applies, but about a year ago I began having pains in my back - right behind the ribcage towards the sides.  I didn't know what it was and thought maybe it was a pulled muscle.

Eventually it got so bad it felt like something was about to burst, so I was rushed to the hospital.  It wound up I had a kidney stone.  I had just started drinking more water and they said that the increased flushing probably dislogged a crystal or something.  The size of this crystal was about the size of the periods on this page...I can't believe it cause me that much pain!

Something else to think about.
Sorry to break in but have to share-12wk pcr result-UNDETECTABLE!!! ya-hooooo.
Congatulations !!!!!!!!!just got mine back today too.Undetectable also! isn't it amazing that one little test can give us SO much joy and hope.
YAHOOOOOOOO!  wtg  YIPPEEEEEE  Congrats!!   ohc
More undetectables allright. I wanna BBQ this Friday again. Thanks and congratulations!!!!!!!
Great news! Stay clear, ya hear. Mike
Congrats to you both!
Thanks for the comments. I called the docs and left a message since the soreness seems to be increasing. Hopefully they will return my call soon. LL
I have similar pain, it is under the right ribcage, felt like ribs hurt, painful pressure, wrapping around the back quite alot when it was intense. It can vary from mild to intense. Intense episodes occuring 1-2 days a month, starting mid day (mild)and increasing till evening. When intense it hurts to inhale, lay on right side, have a full stomach, generally to move much. I went in for an ultrasound, thats when they found my friend Gawly, a 1.5 centimeter gallstone. Just a bit of info to compare. I would suggest maybe an ultrasound to see what it is. Good Luck...  ~Tigerdream~
I too had these same problems and along with a high white blood count, (not sure how high) My Dr. put me through many tests only to put me on a strong anti inflam it worked till the pills ran out.  My Acpuncture Dr. told me it was my liver sending the wrong amount of Bile through my gallbaldder.  Lower right side = liver pain uper back and shoulder gallbladder.
These pains were incresed when I got run down and seemed to happen with every breath.

Good luck with the TX
I have had pains like that on and off,I don't know if it is related to the tx or not, but it only seems to last two or three days at a time.I would suggest that you consult a doctor. I would but by the time I remember (brain fog) the pains seem to disappear. Best luck K
Layla, I think calling the doc was wise.  You might have an opportunistic kidney infection or various other things, and only a doc can find out which.  Anyway, the sooner you get relief, the better, right?

Tuna and Doll Face, Cool! Lap One finished, and you're going strong.

Peace,
Maj Neni
The doc's office, the RN,  called back today and said I should get a urine test for blood and an xray. His first thought is a kidney stone. I told him I never had this problem before and he said well you've never been on interferon before. He's right about that one! My GP will get me in much faster so I'll go there tomorrow.
fullofhope- He did say all the water I'm drinking could have loosened something. It sounds just like you describe and it's worse today than yesterday. Thanks. LL
Good luck Layla.  They have many different drugs that they can give you (make sure they are compatible with your Hepc meds if you are on any) and they also have something called  Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) - where they can use shock waves to break up large crystals.  Keep drinking loads of water though because it will help clear you out!

Lisa
i too had a lot of pain in my back...kidney area...was on vioxx and talked w/ my mother who has only one kidney...she said the vioxx will cause kidney problems so i stopped taking it...still have some of the same pain, but it comes and goes....best to you, and much love and prayers to you.
Good luck on your kidney-area pain.  I hope the doc finds a simple solution.  
Any kidney problem can be most incredibly painful.  Kidney stones (been there, done that...) are very treatable, in case that's the deal.  I'm sure lots of drinking clear liquids is good; you might be told to include certain things in your diet and exclude others.  Let us know how it goes, please.
Maj Neni
Well I had a urinalysis and it looks ok. I also saw my GP and he thinks it's muscular. I'm not sure I agree but for now that's how I will deal with it since I don't kow what else to do. He told me to use moist heat for the weekend and if it's still there I should go to physical therapy and have ultrasound this week. The pain is still there. I'm wondering if it could be associated with the female problems I have been having since on tx. I never had any problems before and have had constant problems since the start of tx. Thanks to all of you. LL
Didn't your doctor do an xray for kidney stones?  I have been there done that, 3 in 3 months all on the same side.  Very painful things up right around the middle of the back.  Urinalysis doesn't always show.  Get an xray and keep drinking that water.  If it is a stone you may be able to pass it.
Hi, im having the same pain under the bottom of my right kidney to not to mention but it wraps around my side and stops at my belly button. I'm 130 also. And for the first time over drank some liquor on Friday, its Tuesday and the pain started in the after noon. i feel really sick still and am not sure what it could be. i would go to the doctors but i don't have Medicaid and cant afford to visit the doctors. What should i do?
I realize this is an old post, but I am having similair issues. I have had kidney stones but the pain usually comes on right away and I pass the stone in a couple days. This time the pain has been coming and going. I also saw the above posting relating the gall bladder and bile production. I was wondering if you had issues with green colored stool during the ordeal.