stage 3-4?
just got biopsy results for hep-c. came back stage 3-4. is 4 as far as you go? im terrified especially cause i dont feel 3-4. anyway am finally in a situation where treatment is iminent. not necessarily the latest/most effective. medicaid decides...??im just not coping with this well!
   I know how devastated you most feel.We all been through that,take a deep breath and with some time you will come to terms with it..You prolly starting to have early cirrhosis The good news is you can get rid of this thing if go on treatment,and go on with your life.

All the best to you

Dannyboi7
You are at a stage where it is important to take treatment. Unless you are lucky enough to get into a good research study, then you will use the standard drugs depending on your genotype.
There are others who will inform you about those drugs. There is no question that it is tough, but believe me once you get to stage four, it is much worse. There is a point where you cannot get your life back, don't let it get that far.
Look at all the folks doing it on this forum. It is hard, but they keep stepping forward and most of them are reaching SVR.
Take a deep breath, relax, learn what you can and move forward with treatment. The people here will be with you all the way.
I wish you all the best.
thank you all for you encouragements and kind words...
unfornately geno-type1
  I am thinking that if you are at stage 3-4, and a genotype 1a, that medicaid will approve you for "the Triple Treatment".
   Try not to worry, so many of us are getting cured with this, I am a geno 1a, and I was cured within the last year, and so many more of us other genotype 1a's, as well.
If you are at Stage 4 it will treatment will depend on whether your liver is compensated or decompensated.

Do therapy now if you are stage 3 and your liver is compensated...do it. Don't wait until you get to stage 4 and your liver become decompensated and you can't do it.

"compensated" means your liver has a chance to regenerate itself.
"decompensated" means your liver is very damaged and you will probably have to have a liver tp whether you kick the Hep C or not because a decompensated liver will not regenerate itself.

At stage 3 with a compensated liver I'd be doing anything I could to get rid of the Hep C so my liver would have a chance to regenerate itself.

When you reach stage 4 or have ESLD with a decompensated liver even if you could find an insurer or reptuable doc that would put you on tx you would still have to have a transplant.  That is why I am an advocate of doing what you can NOW...I went from Stage 2 to 4 in less than 2 years.

Don't want to be a downer but other factors can start playing in when you to to Stage 4 so do what you can now.  Ask your doctor if you are compensated...what your MELD score is...be sure you are going to a Hepatologist...follow their advice...tx is expensive...

There are new cures in the future but you have drug companies fighting over distribution rights and not all cures work for all people...if they did there would be no cancer, no diseases, etc.  Everything is individual.

All we can do on any of these webposts is give you personal insight and  experiences and post articles as back-up info but that information changes constantly with differing doctor and association opinions.  What is a fact today, isn't tomorrow.  So do what you can today to make yourself healthy for the future.

I am Stage 4 ESLD Type1 Meld 12 decompensated liver ... have done 3 different trails and was non-responder on all 3.  Insurer will not insure tx and hepatologist will not ok tx due to decompensation and adverse effects.
There are several different scales for biopsy results. Often results are reported on a scale 0-4, but some results are reported on the Ishak scale which is 0-6. Find out what is the scale and the range of your biopsy.
In any case, you seem to be treatment naive and there are many trial studies which you can enroll. You have a good chances of getting rid of this soon.

Wishing you the best luck.
Hi, and welcome to the forum.  The most important thing now is to follow up with your hepatologist.  If you are stage 3 or stage 4, you should be treated by a hepatologist, not a gastroenterologist or a primary care doctor.  Your hepatologist will make a recommendation for you, and my guess is that he/she would recommend one of the two triple therapies that are currently available.  Both of these therapies include Interferon (a weekly injection), Ribavirin (a pill), and either Victrellis or Incivek (both are pills).  It is not an easy treatment, but it is do-able.  As heart said above, it is most important to treat now, if your liver is still compensated, while you can.  If you wait and your liver decompensates, it is unlikely that you will be able to treat your Hep C.  Follow up with a hepatologist as soon as you can.
Advocate1955
I had geno 1a and also 1b. Stage 3. They are dead now. You CAN do this. I've been svr for seven years. One foot in front of the other. Breathe. :)

Deb
am just waiting on insurance approval.....will begin soon.
It's a blow to hear. But you can do this. I'm lumb cause I remember how much I clung to nygirls words. She was right. There is life during and after tx even if you are end stage! Karen:)
ty
am terrified...am just waiting on approval. just tryin not to put one foot on the bannana peal ya know? im a dark one im quick to go...there.....antway thank for info and hopfully continued support...