Hepatitis C Community
stage four liver disease

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

stage four liver disease

HI MY MOM WAS DIAGNOSIS WITH LIVER DISEASE A YEAR OR SO BACK WILL SHE HAS BECAME ILL AGAIN AND SAW THE DR HE SAYS SHE IS IN STAGE 4 AND HER HEPATITISIS LEVEL IS VER HIGH WHAT DOES THAT MEAN
Hi I am so sorry you and your mom are having to go through this. There are no doctors here just people with hep c that are treating or waiting to be treated. And ones that have been through treatment. We have a lot of caring people on this forum and you and your mom can get a lot of help here. In answer to your question stage 4 means cirrhosis. High level means amount of virus in the blood. That means she need to see a good hepatoligist or gastro doctor. Has she ever treated for the hep c yet? If not there are medications available to kill the virus. If she gets the virus under control. She can live a very long life with cirrhosis, if she takes care of herself. No alcohol at all. Low salt and low protien diet. I have cirrhosis and a high viral load and I plan on living to be old and grey. I am starting treatment next weekend. Keep coming back and reading as much as you can. Here is a good place to answer some questions. Take care... Debi
My husband is stage 4 cirrhosis and had a high viral load.  I'm not an expert in this but from what we have learned the doctor looks at liver damage in stages and grades. Stage is the aount of scarring and the grade is the amount of inflamation (inflammation), both are bad. 4 is the highest you can go for both.  When you are at stage 4 you are considered to have cirrhosis of the liver, end stage liver disease.  That is a little word that can mean all kinds of things.  My husband was stage 4 grade 3, however, he is not haing any other problems.  Yellowing of eyes and skin, swelling, ascites, bleeding.  Hubby started started treatment 25 weeks ago with a 2 million viral load.  At 19 weeks he had �59� little suckers leaft.  We are waiting for his 24 blood results.  He just had another ultrasound of the liver, his liver is healing, and the ultrasound results showed improvement.  So, there is hope! As we saw it, he had to get rid of the virus because it was attacking his liver.  So he started treatment. If I were you, I would try to get your mom a good hepatologist and find out what he/she has to say.  The best thing you can do is learn about this disease and support her as much as you can.  Its not going to be easy for either of you, but knowledge is your best weapon.  I would start with the web site listed below.  This is what was told to me when I first came here, and it was vey very helpful. Good luck and keep coming back here because the people will give you information and supportive words.  I truely believe that the people here have saved my husband's life!
i was just diagnosed after liver biopsy with stage 4 cirrohsis and hep c. i am waiting to get the treatment of pegylyn and rivarin for 3 mos. what does this prognosis look like and i also have genotype 1..
In addition to Stage 4 there are "substages" that measure liver functionality.  If you have no signs of liver failure (jaundice, ascites, esophagal varices etc) you are considered "compensated".  You can live with a compensated liver.  As the liver begins to fail and the symptoms start appearing you are considered "decompensated".  My husband was graded as a "probable Stage 4" and a grade 3 and is completing his 48 weeks.  He has never displayed any symptoms of liver failure and his CT scan, ultrasound and his esophagus were "unremarkable" meaning there was nothing that they could see out of the ordinary, but his biopsy obviously spotted some bad damage. He certainly plans on living a long life and there is no reason he can't if he stays compensated.  You don't say if the "Hepatitis damage" was caused by Hep C.  "Hepatitis" could be caused by many, many things in addition to Hep C.  Find out what caused the Hepatitis.  "Her hepatitis is very high" is a confusing statement.  Anyone with liver damage caused by something specific needs to first stop if possible whatever it is that is causing the damage.   The liver is a resilient organ meaning if the damage is not too severe it can "fix itself" and if it can't fix itself it can go quite a while with only alittle bit of the liver functioning.  Go with your mother to her next appointment if she will let you.  Make sure the doctor explains to you in language you can understand what caused your mother's hepatitis, what condition does he/she think your mother is in compared to one year ago and what your mother should be doing to stabilize her liver or help to improve her situation... If she has Hep C come back and ask any questions you have and there are many here who can tell you their experiences.
This will help explain the Hepatitis stages:

Stage 1 Hepatitis -- Inflammation only (hepatitis only)
Stage 2 Hepatitis -- Some scarring (fibrosis)
Stage 3 Hepatitis -- More scarring (more fibrosis)
Stage 4 Hepatitis -- LOTS of fibrosis (cirrhosis)

Once a person gets to Stage 4/Cirrhosis, there are three grades:

Grade A -- Compensated (the liver is doing all it should despite the damage; no apparent symptoms)
Grade B -- DecompensatING (the liver is beginning to not be able to do all its functions; starting to have symptoms)
Grade C -- DecompensatED (liver failure -- the liver cannot perform its own functions; lots of symptoms)

Boils down to:
1. Stage 1 = very little fibrosis
2. Stage 2 = a little more fibrosis
3. Stage 3 = bridging fibrosis
4. Stage 4 = cirrhosis  (Grade A cirrhosis)
5. Grade B cirrhosis
6. Grade C cirrhosis (ESLD)
(Complications like Ascites appear in Grade B cirrhosis).
Okay my viral load is 2.4 millionand my dr thinks my is being caused by being diabetic,where my body isnt getting normal insulin are pancreas makes and releases... I have biospy coming up real soon..Had eyes check today i have excellent vision.. going into research clinical trial...Iamlooking forward to allthis.. Cause GOD has blessed me allthe way around... In am i have to take test for glucose.. again, its always high...
wow my viralis 2.4 million and my dr said they think mine is caused by noy producing insulin for my own body thru the pancreas.. so they are getting me ready to treat that part of me.. then the hep C iam doing clinicalstudy trial... BUT GOD IS GOOD IN ALL WAYS!!! he can healus live for him..
my father is 83 yrs old. He has stage 4 liver disease, kidney disease and esophagel cancer.  He has just completed radiation treatments for cancer.  He is doing well with the cancer, I need some advice, and how long can he live in this condition.
My husband is in a Rehab Facility, for a 30 day program.  He is doing well, had jaundice, but it's all but gone....Dr. at Rehab said he has Stage 4 Liver Disease and it is terminal.....they do liver panel test there....Bilirubin is down to 6.8, Platelettes are 68, and holding steady.  Is he really terminal.....these are not GI doctors!!!!  After Rehab, we have a GI appt......Last Aug he had an Ultrasound, CT Scan, MRI done on his liver and abdomen....Doc said, smaller lobe of liver is all cirrhosis, larger part of Liver is enlarged....no more drinking.....but he did, from Aug to end of Jan.......can he live a long while with Stage 4 Liver Disease if he doesn't drink anymore????   Please respond.
Louise
Is there any free help in the state of Ga for people that have been diganosied with stage 4 liver disease who need treatment and can not afford it
Jeannie
check with your county health dept. - i live in FL and found some very inexpensive, if not FREE healthcare thru my county, but you have to do the research.  i am waiting to hear from a drug manufacturer on FREE meds - so there may be options - i am stage 4 but waiting to tx for the hep c  - good luck !!!!
my mother just found out that she has stage 4 cirrhosis of the liver and stage 2 hepatitis c inactive. can anyone help me out and explain this a little to me? or give me advice on what shes got facing her?

one4mom
I'm so sorry for your mother's recent diagnosis.  I can only imagine what my own daughter thought when I was diagnosed with Hep C - a viral load of over 10.0 million and in Stage 4 cirrhosis....end stage.  I certainly panicked.  Luckily I was able to receive good medical treatment from a very good gastrointestinal physician at a veteran's hospital.  I began treatment of pegalated interferon and Ribivarin in January 2007.  That treatment lasted 48 weeks - December 2007.  In March of 2007 there was absolutely no hep C virus detectible in my blood.  I still had to complete the 48 weeks however...and it was a long haul.  I am now in remission with the hep C, and although I am in Stage 4 cirrhosis, I have no symptoms of liver disease elsewhere.  My liver enzymes are back to normal levels and although I still require a lot of sleep, that too is getting better.  The liver does not heal itself.  It is the only organ in the body that does not regenerate.  However, with proper diet, no alcohol, no drugs, and a good attitude, life goes on.  The experience taught me so much.  Life is precious.... and short.... we all know that....but don't give up and give your mom all the support and help you can.  She is going to need you.  Good luck to you.  I will be more than willing to answer any and all questions you may have.  Will keep you in my thoughts.  God Bless.
Correction above.  The liver is the ONLY organ that DOES regenerate.  They are also discovering that kidneys can as well.
I am stage 4 grade 4 decompensated.
Snowmane
I read your post of May 20 and found it encouraging.  I too have cirrhosis, compensated, with viral load of 13 million.  I am type 1a and afraid that it is too late for tx.  May I ask what is your genotype?
You should be encouraged.  I have Cirrhosis, and am just finishing tx.  Have you ask your doctor about treatment?  You should.  Your viral load is not anything to worry about really.  From what I understand it changes all the time.  Mine was 45 Ml before I started tx.  
I'd say go visit your doctor.  Tell him/her you are interested in tx.  I've been able to treat, so you most likely can as well.  
It's not time to throw the towel in!  I've done just fine with tx.  You really should speak with someone about it soon.
Good Luck to you whatever you decide to do.
My son, age 48, has stage 4 cirrosis (cirrhosis) of the liver.  He does not want to take the interfuron because it makes him so very sick and he feels as though he is in a fog all the time.  The doctor says he has a 50% chance of living with the medication and a 20% chance without it.  He just came here to CA to visit us all from Georgia because he doesn't feel as though he has long to live.  He is raising 5 grandchildren (he and his wife), I want him to take the treatment but he says he can't work if he takes it and the kids need his income.  What do I tell him?  My heart is just breaking.  I just lost another son in April from testacular cancer and my brother in April from Kidney Cancer.  Please tell me what to say to my son.  Thank you
How long ago did he treat?  As I understand things, treatment today is not as bad as in the past.  
I have cirrhosis too.  I was able to do my treatment and not miss a day of work.  
If the kids need his income now they will need it later as well.  Who will take care of them when he's gone?  What good will that do the kids?  If he can't work...then maybe he could find some assistance to go on while he treats.
Good Luck to you and your son.
He last was treated in the spring and summer of 2007 but became so sick he told the doctor he couldn't take the medicine and still work.  His work is dangerous as he has to climb ladders, etc.  He calibrates tools.  The doctor who he sees now is a gastrointerologist and he wants to cut the interferon down to a small dose and work up to a full dose.  Is that a good idea?  
There are so many people here that can better answer your questions.
What you should really do is start a string/post of your own.
That way more people will see it and respond.  This is a pretty old post.
All I can tell you is I'd see a specialist.  And I'd be encouraged to have a doctor willing to work with me on treatment.  I think he needs treatment for sure if he's stage 4.
Like I said who will help the kids when he's gone.  If he flat can't work then maybe they could find some sort of assistance while he treats.
Good Luck to you... and try to start a new post....lot's of people with lots of good advise here.

I've gone thrue the treatment twice now. Once on a trial basis before it was  released to the public. Just interferon. 4yr later went on the treatment of interferon&peg. Cleared virus for 1 month. Been at stage 4 for over 5 years. Can the treatment be used more than twice or have i devepoped a immunity to a cure. Still feel rather good, tired and treating my self with milkthisthel. Any new option developed?
if i go untreated for hep c reno type 4 sirrhosis stage 4 how long do u think i can live?
ANYBODY EVER THINK OF TAKING HIGH DOSAGES OF VITAMIN C ?...I KNOW THAT A 24/7 VITAMIN C DRIP WAS GIVEN TO A PATIENT(my brother) WITH A BAD STAFF INFECTION AND HE RESPONDED GREAT!,  (ALL THE ANTI-BIOTICS DIDNT WORK). I THINK THE VITAMIN C CAN FLUSH OUT THE BODY, REGENERATE TISSUE, AND HELP IMMUNE.
peg againthe  if I can....Any one heard of this new study? My memory is getting really bad, and my energy level which was pretty good is starting to decline...I feel like my focus and concetration is off.....HELP
I have had hep c for over 20 years now I am 38years old I had a biopsy in 2004 and it was mild now its2009and I am always sick really sick I retain water in my abdomen only in my abdomen no where else not my ankles or legs I get sick headaches my eyes get swollen and puffy so much so it splits my skin and burses im not sure why that is happening is it a symptom of a sick liver. I feel dizzy a lot now, I have red raised pinpoint dots on my chest and they have started going down my arms kind of what like a diabetic has on his ankles but more spread apart I guess what I want to know what symptoms come with what stages
My mother was rushed to the ER today with an extreme amount of fluid around her heart. I was told she has cirrhosis of the liver and her liver is hard as a brick. I want to know can she make it out with treatment and a healthy diet. I also want to find out if this is truly stage 4 or not.  I really want my mom to come out of this so if you know, send me your answers. I want to find out all that I can so that I can help as much as I can.                          Thanks, J.B.
I'm sorry to hear about your mom. It's very hard news to take we know.

If she is "brick hard" then she is stage 4 or end stage (5) liver disease.

Stage 4 can and do treat but it is much harder, and not very successful.
Once the fibrosis of stage 3 has become rock hard scarred masses of stage 4 the damage is not reversible. The normal procedure is to put those well enough on a transplant waiting list. Whether she would qualify for a transplant depends on her whole health profile however, and only about half the people who need a new liver get one.

The immediate thing is to get the water out of her heart sac and abdomen and there are procedures to do this and make her more comfortable.
The gold standard for knowing the stage of disease is to do a needle biopsy. However, if her liver papates hard as a rock they are unlikely to suggest this as it can itself cause death. As the liver hardens and shuts down the internal liver pressure becomes higher than the surrounding blood pressure as the organ tries to force fewer cells to keep up with metabolism. The pressure can be 2-3 times that of the regular blood pressure. Therefore a stage 4 biopsy can lead to internal bleeding that cannot be stopped and for this reason in stage 4, needle biopsy is not wisdom, IMHO.
There are other scans that can be done that are non invasive, along with physical exam and labs the docs can be fairly accurate, especially in later stages.
Talk to the doctor about what would be the best scan.
How old is your mother and does she have other health issues?

mb
In July I found out I have hep c after going to Dr. many times because of super tiredness, low grade fever, etc.. I had a liver biopsy done last got reslts today. Stage 1, grade III, don"t really understand what grade III means. I am genotype 1a, viral load 642,000. I will be starting treatment in a few weeks after ins. approves the RX. What can I expect to feel like?
this site has the best primer for learning about the disease:

http://www.janis7hepc.com/

after you read up on Viral Load, tests, biopsies treatments, bring us your questions.
I think that Janis can help you understand a lot of whats coming though, in a systematic way.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum, even though it's not fun to have to come here, it is good to get help and support understanding HCV.

mb
We were told yesterday, that my husband has stage 4 liver disease.  I have been reading all your postings and I do not understand about the Grade levels and the genotype.  He had a biopsy to confirm the stage four, he had ultra sound this morning to check the size of his liver, spleen and kidneys and will be having a EDG next Wednesday.  But the doctor did not mention grade level/genotype.  What does this mean?  Thank you for any input you may have.
You can treat more than twice. I treated 6 times. I would clear the virus but relapse after the treatment ended. I even extended my treatment to  72 weeks twice. Once with infergen instead of interferon. Med Help has a great site on hep. http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Hepatitis-C/show/75
Now i see this is a old post.
Yes I have it. but my numbers are less than six on last test. Normal liver function. Just had open surgery on my abdomin (abdomen) for a removal of tumor and last ovary. No cancer. Had to have platelets some for safety but I am fine now so far at one month. I do not have any major issues yet because I have faith and believe me if I did not I would not be here today.I also have osteoarthritis,had diabetes but beat it with LAP BAND weightloss in 2008. Also Hep B but stable right now. Just learn all you can but do not think you are the same as some, because we all are different and handle our issues differently. Keep on praying and learning then when things do change you will be able to handle it with your head up high, saying "I have it but it does not have ME.......God bless.My email is "***@**** for any comments. Thank you ...Jo Ann
My mother has been diagnosed with stage 4 Cirrhosis.  Not well educated on this subject yet and was just wondering what type of treatment is out there besides transplant?  She has NO insurance and not sure what to expect...
The answer depends largely on how advanced the cirrhosis is; stage four can be classified as A, B and C under the CTP scale. Please consider reposting your question by going to the top of the page and clicking on the green (or yellow) ‘post a question’ button. This will open a new thread; the one you tagged on to was started in 2006.

--Bill
In 2004 my brother was diagnosed with Cirrhosis Hep C and did nothing.  We didn't know what stage or grade he was at that time.  He just block it out and never went back to a liver doctor. He has had other health problems in 2002 he had a heart attack that damaged 30% of his heart. He has had 4 back surgeries.  Since Nov 2009 he has been showing signs of the liver disease.  He was just recently in the hospital had fluid drained from his stomach for the first time.  His platelettes were low 35,000 and his INR was to high they had to go through his neck to get the biopsy. They had to give him alot of blood. Got the results this past Thursday STAGE 2 GRADE 2.  He's really jaundice spleen is enlarged, sleeps all the time and food does not taste good and dizzness. Also is taking medicine to keep the ammonia level down. Also his blood pressure is low 86/50. The doctor said he's to weak to take the treatments now. Should he be so sick at stage 2 grade 2?
I have had Hep C and now Cirrhosis for 12 yeras now, was treated with interferon in 96, again in 2002 with the Ribo pill and again in 2006 for 18 months I must admit the treatment is very hard if you cannot handle it, I have failed all treatments, I suffer from bad knees, bad back, lost of eye sight, anixiety disorders, sleeping problems you name it I have it, but life goes on I still work , IM retired Army but whomever reads this, hang in there I have belivie me the treatment can be hard, but with love ones and their support you'll survive, think positive , IM in pain daily constant visit to doctors and all I get is no surgery can be performed due to Liver condition, as we know you cannot take Medications if you have Cirrhosis, I also think positive because I tell myself I'll live longer than the doctor, watch your diet, dont drink, live life chillin and tell yourself I'll be alright and SSI is around the corner for those who qualify, work stress does help and stress itself sure won't help you, and been thru hell and back and still hanging in there, and I hope all of us who suffer from this diease god bless us all.
i just wanna share my story, since i always read all your post and it makes me feel better. i am 27 yrs old still single and im hepatitis B since born my viral load is 60million above im stage 1 grade 2, i had my injection for peg inteferon but it only lasted for 2 months since i cannot tolerate with the side effects its really ruin my mood everyday, i dont have any serious fever during treatment, its just im always bad temper, moodswing and migraine.
before i stop the injection i had my DNA test result and it shows that my viral load come down to 523,000. the doctor suggest me to continue the ijection but i refused. now he just wait for my answer to continue with necleoside treatment.

i just wanna ask to whom that already had the treatment, how to overcome the side effects and how long the side effects will be last? im thinking to continue the injection since its working.
my mom is 50 yrs old. she ws diagnosed with hep c and cirrhosis about 8 yrs ago. she had a treatment that consisted of 2 medications that made her very sick. but at the end of the treatment it did help her. it is now 8 yrs later and this year has been hard on her, for the past 2 weeks she's had alot of stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and not being able to hold anything down really except for toast. i just took her to the er and they said her blood work came back ok. what now. what does this mean. dr says they can only really give her pain meds to keep her comfortable. any advice
Sorry to hear your Mom is feeling so poorly. None of us are docs here, but at first read, I thought about a stomach "flu" - but two weeks is a long time. Seems a follow-up visit with her PCP or hepatologist would be in order to rule out any other causes if the symptoms persist. Hope you soon find some answers......
My husband , who is only 53 years old, has just been told he is in stage 4 of liver disease. He was treated four times with Interfuron, pegasus, etc. and if he could he would get treated again. Unfortunately the treatments  failed. Did he get sick, yes, of course. But, six months of  having flu like symptoms and depression did not deter him because he wants to continue to live to be with his children and grandchildren. There are some genotypes that are resistant to interfuron. I implore you to beg your son to get the treatment that can save his life. Anyone who is reading this, if you have to, get Social Security Disability, especially while in treatment. If your spouse has to go to work, so be it. I was a stay at home wife until my husband became ill. His Social Security was not enough so I now work forty to fifty hours a week but do not mind one bit. Along with his hep C he also has Congestive Heart disease, diabetes, and is hard of hearing and must wear hearing aids. My mother died of Hep C. One day she got out of the shower, sat on the chair, and lapsed into a coma. I only hope and pray my husband can go as peacefully as she did; however, we will continue to fight until the bitter end with vitamins, exercise, and a healthy lifestyle.  For all of you who are out there sick, God bless you and good luck. Miracles do happen  - and often!
My long life best friend was diagnosed with final end stage 4 liver disease and we are frightened and not sure what to expect next. She was diagnosed with cirrhosis last year and has abstaned from drinking since but has also experienced other health issue. We are not sure if she has hep at all but was told she had liver cancer but then after the CT Scan that was not evident.  She was just released from the hospital yesterday and was mostly being treated for a urinary tract infection which also contributed to a blood infection. We are trying make sense of all of this---and looking for some insight.  Another very sad factor is that she has no health insurance and is being treated at county hospital, and we are beginning to think they don't care as much for the uninsured.  Please anything information you can offer will be very helpful.  Also want to add, we have an appt with her primary Dr. on April 5th and hoping to walk away more informed.  

Thanks for your help and please pray for Guadalupe Maria R.  
Sorry to hear of your friend’s dilemma. You might want to repost your thoughts by going to the top of the page and clicking on the green ‘post a question’ button; this will open a new thread.

Good luck and take care-

-Bill

I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR WHAT EACH ONE OF U ARE GOING THROUGH IM JUST LEARNING MY SELF WHAT THIS HEPATITIS LIVER DISEASE IS:(

MY FRIENDS MOM HAS THE HIGHTEST LEVEL AND IS NOW DRINKING A ORGANIC ALL NATRUL JUICE 2 SHOTS IN THE AM AND 2 SHOTS IN THE PM ITS CALL MONAVIE.. WWW.MONAVIE.COM ITS VERY RICH AND VERY HELPFUL I INTRODUCED IT TO HER BECASUSE ITS WHAT HELP WITH MY KIDNEY CANCER AND SHE SEEMS TO BE DOING SO GREAT WITH IT ANYONE CAN DRINK IT AND IT HELPS U FEEL GREAT IT STRENGHS THE GOOD CELLS U HAVE AND HELPS RECOVER DEAD ONES ITS VERY AMAZING WHAT IT DID FOR ME AND IS DOING NOW FOR HER FOR ANY MORE QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO CALL ME FOR MORE INFO ON HOW TO GET UR JUICE 509-750-9699
Please advise emergency action. My husband is having painful on his leg muscles and could not stand up. He has cirrchosis of the liver stage 3 hepa C secondary. He's taking furosemide/aldactone/omepron/metronidazole/inderal. Please advise which medicine he should first stop for his to avoid pain on his muscle along the legs. He is also taking B complex, is this ok to combine all the medicines above. Need badly your help as he is also having fever now. tks.
This post is very old, for better responses to your question go to the top of the page and use the orange post a question button, it will start a new thread. Hope that helps
I just found out today that i am stage 4 lvl 4 hep c do not know how bad on the hep.. I AM SCARED!!   I have little support at home, if and when i feel sick my husband verbly berates me that it is my fault and he is sick and tired of me needing to go to the doc.. can anyone help me??
Hi Ellena, I am sorry to hear this news.  There are people on this forum that can Help you but this is an old thread and you will get better response if you post a new tread/question on the main hep c forum.  http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Hepatitis-C/show/75
God I so know ya`ll feeling.For my husband to is going through the same as your husband he is 52.I had to go to work to make by.And i lost my Mom to it also Jan.16,2011 very peaceful with it.My Dad Aug.7 2011 with liver and pancrea.So my heart is with ya`ll,God bless ya`ll.
I just saw this post and wish you'd post a new one on of your own so more of us will  respond to you.

Just go to the top of the page and hit the brown button that says
'Post a Question'

contact Roche laboratories they donated my treatment which can be costly I lived in Aiken South Carolina  2008 I was diagnosed endsatge chirrhosis, with Geno type 3 ,Hep C, went thru the treatment for 9 months and virus was gone but came back in 2011 not Im starting to have complications like varices,enlarged spleen,iron overload which cause blisters that itch and hurt and bleed. I hope you are able to find treatment for your father.
2008 was diagnosed endstage chirrhosis, hep c geno type 3, did 9 months of treatment with interferon and ribavarin. Virus came back in 20011. I have been diagnosed with ealry varices 2011 and ascites and now having iron overload and skin blisters that itch and hurt and bleed they say this will not go away. I no longer drink alcohol and trying to quit smoking and having alot of pain . My GI Doctor says my liver has hardened and yet nobody can say anything except its up to the good Lord now. Has anyone had this problem I believe the stigma attached to the Hep C hinders getting the proper care one needs. I feel I have been tossed aside to die and I dont know what else to do.
If God is so good why did he give this to you in the first place!
Just found out last September that I have had Hep B for years and have not known it. Because of this and drinking (socially only) I have stage 4 cirrhosis.

My GI is great and very experience with Hep both B and C and has had me on Viread for 7 months now. My viral load was 18 mil when I started and after a month it was down to 400,000 then to 100,400, and now undetected in my body. I am going to remain on it for the next four months to see if I fall in the 10% bracket of people that can completely clear the virus from their body. Hopefully that will be the case.

Asked your doctor about Viread for the Hep B. From what I hear a lot of Doctor's know very little about Hep B and want to treat it the same way that they do Hep C.  A GI Doctor that is experience in Both B and C is the way to go.  
I also have Cirrhosis stage 4 and was diagnosed with Hep C. Treatment for Hep C is not as bad as it was years ago. I worked up untill the end of treatment. Of course I stopped treatment at 5th month.. (I had a very important family event to attend.) Also, I felt very fatigue during treatment, but not untill about the 3rd mo., that was my only symptom from Hep C treatment.
My viral load is 0 and has been for 1year+ now. Cirrhosis is same, not getting any worse. Your son can always go on disability if he needs to. I am a non-drinker female, over weight, 52 at time of treatment and a survivor from HEP C.
I was also scared that I wouldn't be able to work and would need someone to care for me, from all the stuff I read on the internet... alot is not even so!
GOD bless you both!
you are wrong....the liver is the only organ in the human body that actually DOES heal itself.....ask your doctor, he will agree with me.