Hepatitis C Community
stages

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

stages

sorry forgot to add, what are these stages and how does one find out what ones status is?  i see everyone is stage 1 or 4 - so how do we go about finding out that part of it all

thanx

leslie
Hi Leslie,

Stage and grade are determined by biopsy. There are several scales in use currently; the most widely used in industrialized nations now is probably the ‘Metavir’ grading system. The degree of fibrosis, or scarring is measured on a scale of 0 through 4; with stage 4 signaling cirrhosis. This staging system tells us how much scarring has already occurred.

There is also a similar measurement that quantifies the current activity of inflammation; scored A0 through A3, I believe.

So, for instance, my last biopsy showed grade 3 activity, stage 3-4; significant fibrosis/scarring.

This is how the progression of disease is measured, rather than using viral load measurements to judge how far the disease has gotten.

See also:

http://janis7hepc.com/home9.htm

For more info on grade and stage of liver disease.

Best to you and your husband—

Bill
Hello

I am so grateful for your patience and knowledge and thank you for all your amazing input.  i am new here and learning to use all the sites, janis included. i will be passing all this information along to my husband and doctors.  i am trying very hard myself to be one step ahead and knowledgable of the lingo.  this is a detailed disease but i am getting it now thanks to all you wonderful people who are willing to help others.

i will try to slow down on the postings  - lol

have a wonderful day

leslie