Hepatitis C Community
started to feel horrible and very grumpy

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I started to feel really bad and felt like my personality had changed (for the worst), acting very snippy at everyone.  I work in sales so this is not a good thing , and i have two small children.  I have hep c , and have had for over 3o yrs., but i have not sought treatment because 4 yrs ago when biopsy was done i was told it was very mild and non aggressive.  My new results just came in and my alt level was at 690 and my ast was at 216 .  I am very worried right now , I do have an appt to see spec. next week.  I have been having really strange things happening , I feel like I am in a bubble, and when i look at things they seem to move like a vapor, i cannot get enough to drink and i cant seem to pee enough, my throat also seems swollen  and my voice is changed. i also have diabetes type 2 was has went from 6.5 to almost 10 on the a1c test , has anyone else been where I am, what is happening ? what should I expect ? if anyone could offer any help would greatly appreciate it ......
Constant (or nearly) urination and thirst are both hallmarks of type II DM. If you’re A1c results are brushing 10.0 now the doctor will likely want to get this controlled prior to initiating HCV treatment. I really can’t comment intelligently on the other symptoms you mention.

Hopefully you’re connecting with either a GI or hepatologist next week. If you haven’t had a liver biopsy for four years, they might recommend another to see if fibrosis (scarring) has progressed. They’ll also probably order blood tests; CBC, compressive metabolic panel, etc. In fact, you might want to call their office today and see if they want to order labs in advance of your appointment next week; that way you could go over these with the doctor.

With liver enzymes elevated like that it’s likely you have some activity going on, but it’s hard to draw any conclusions based on those results. The other tests mentioned above might offer more diagnostic data.

Do you know what genotype, or strain of HCV you have? There have been advances in HCV management over the past few years; there are adjunctive drugs added to the original interferon/ribavirin that are make treatment more effective for select genotypes.

Good luck, and let us know how the appointment goes. Keep eating those nasty trolls-

--Bill
I am obviously not a professional or capable of providing any reasonable explanations for your mood and physical symptoms but it sounds like things are really starting to build up and you are stressing to the max. Believe me, I understand worry but the thing is you truly do not have enough factual data to base any conclusions or make any outcome-based decisions. It is extremely likely much (if not all) of these things are manageable so try and let yourself take a break on assuming the worst.

Four years ago is not all that long and it's possible your liver may still be in fairly mild condition. I am very glad your appointment to see a specialist is next week - I hope you mean liver specialist. At that point you will have the chance to find out what your genotype is and what your viral load is as well as other data that may indicate when and if you can treat your HCV.  I believe out of range liver enzymes in and of themselves could indicate a variety of things.  I don't know much about diabetes but it seems like constant thirst and a few of the other symptoms you mentioned need to be addressed and adjusted. Whether this is all related to your HCV, I cannot say.

I hope one of the more experienced members can provide symptomatic relief as I simply do not have the expertise. You are in the right place and encourage you to read posts as well as post frequently as I am certain you will learn a lot and it will allay lots of your anxiety.♫

Do you remember what yr ALT/AST level was last time you got tested? Mine was usually around 75/100 but gradually climbed, thru 20 yrs, always elevated (many people with Hep C have normal enzymes) but this year, I was 400/500. My other warning symptom was, I had hot flashes all the time, which came when anything irritated me, and on heat-wave days, I would quickly develope heat-stroke. Also, my pee smelled like ammonia, and the socks started hurting my ankles and leaving marks. It was almost like I felt uncomfortable in my own skin~ I would get another biopsy, I had had an ultra-sound, which read my liver was normal, but when I finally got thenerve to get the biopsy, my liver had stage 2 fibrosis, so I chose
to seek treatment, because my blood work didn't look good at all, I had low plateletes, all of the sudden, they had always been normal before, and that is a bad sign, that the liver is going toward cirrhosis, so I am on week 7 and ahalf of treatment.
  Your biopsy very likely could tell you that your liver is fine, and the thirsty and other sides might be diabetes symptoms, or thyroid...it's like you have to be a detective, my own doctor never put my heat symptoms with Hep C, she prescribed some heart medicine, for the heat=stroke, which I never took! I feel much better now!

--Bill
Your symtoms (symptoms) are more than likely from your DM. When your blood sugar is out of wack it can effect you mood.   Hep c can cause fatique and that can cause irritability. I would talk with the doctors about diet and meds for DM and get your BS stable... excercise ...get plenty of rest. Follow up with the hep c. Godspeed
  I have an appt with the G.I. next week , the hep spec. could not get me in for several months. my urine has a very nasty smell and almost seems like I can smell it through the pours of my skin, just so tired all the time I feel like I could sleep my life away but Im too tired to go to bed...... Thanks for the response from everyone who posted , amazingly fast, at least now I dont feel so alone ...... and on another note trolls make a wonderful salad... lol..
I do not know really anything such as what type just hep c , the first round all went so quick, and I really did not pay attention like I should have, all i heard was nothing to worry about at this time and off I went back to what I called a  normal life.............such an idiot that I am........I hope that i will be given a second chance to learn and do things right, not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed.  I am so glad I found this site, first chance to really talk about this...thanks for listening.....you know what i mean.
I imagine once you get tight control of your diabetes you’ll feel much better. An A1c result of 10.0 correlates to a finger-stick average of roughly 240 mg/dL; are you doing routine self testing as well? Ask your primary care doctor for a referral to a diabetes management class; they have educating RN/nutritionists that can help set up a meal and exercise plan with you.

I imagine the doctor went over this with you previously, but here it is again: watch carbs, including things like potatoes, pasta, white bread, white rice as well as sweets. Try to minimally get 50 minutes of brisk walking or equivalent exercise daily, and finally be compliant with insulin/anti-diabetes oral meds. It generally takes at least two, and usually all three of three of these measures to achieve tight BG control.

Check with the doctor; I heard trolls have a high glycemic index! Good luck and take care-

--Bill
  Called gasto spec waiting for them to call back, trying to get blood test you mentioned earlier so I will have at office visit, as far as diet and exercise, yes and no , everything seemed good not that long ago and whallop it got me. I am aware for the most part of what to eat and what not to eat but that does not mean that i took it seriously... it is never to late... this has been a real wake up call for me. I am overweight six foot three , three hundred pounds, until recently . i have dropped fifteen pounds, but I have not tried it just happened in less then two weeks, jenny craig  would be proud... i assume that is from the constant urination-water loss .

I knew i should have laid off the gummy trolls but they taste so good.

P.S.  if youre still listening next week will let you know outcome of visit
  For some reason, people with Hep C tend to get diabetes after they catch Hep C. Do you know which condition came first?  I caught Hep C about 23 yrs ago, at the same time as my ex-boyfriend. I had no symptoms for the first 20 yrs, but I remember, I ran into that Ex, about 17 yrs ago, and I noted he had lost ALOT of weight, but had this big, hard, belly.  He had gone form beiing his usual weight of 160, down to 140!  Around 12 yrs ago, he called me, to accuse me of giving him Hep C ( I told him it was the other way around, lol) and that he had found out he had Diabetes,and Hep C, and had been treated for Hep C successfully!
   Then, two yrs ago I ran into him at the Beach, and he was still diabetic, but Hep C free! He asked me why I was still running around with the Hep C virus, and got me to thinking. I had put off treatment, to have 2 more kids.
    Like I said before, about two yrs ago, I started smelling pissy, and my sweat no longer smelled and felt good, it felt sticky- and after my biopsy, foundout I DID have stage 2 fibrosis, and I'm getting treated. But diabetes also makes yr pee stink, so it's a tough call.  Losing weight suddenly is definitely a symptom to get checked out right away, so I am glad you are seeing the gastro, getting the blood tests lined up. I kept waiting for the "fatigue" symptom to come around, so I put off getting treated for that reason, becuz I had energy. But it was the blood test that let me know I was in trouble, and the biopsy. Hep C symptoms are not always common, until cirrhosis sets in, and much more chance of cure, to catch it in stage 2 or 3, rather then 4. But hopefully your liver is still fine, only one out of 4 Heppers go on to have cirrhosis.
How did your ex get fixed ? and also what an *** for treating you like that. i got hep c from a blood transfusion in 1983, and did not know i had it until four years ago... and i am only assuming that is when i got it , i had gotten a letter from the hosp where the transfusion took place that said i could be at risk. and it looks like i won the lottery, that is also when i was told i had diebetes (diabetes)
(sorry about my misspelling). at the time I was very sick , tired, puking all the time, and my legs feel like they just bubble with spasms and pain. I also had bad high blood pressure,  I lost weight and the high blood pressure went away although i was on meds for quite some time (80mg micardis), i was diagnosed with diabetic nueropothy, but dont think i was showing any signs of hep c , of course i was too ashamed to ask, then when i did tell someone he said "isnt that like aids".. my problem i put this off never really got informed and now that everythng seems to be going to crap I dont really know what to do or what to expect, so thank you so much for responding to me, this is the first time I have ever talked about this to someone besides a small town dr. ............I hope your treatment goes well for you , anything else anyone can tell me please let me know, i am having a harder time reading as my eyes dont work as well anymore either...but i can read this monitor...
Hey, how are you this week? My Ex got his Hep C cured, all those years ago, with just the standard Interferon/Ribavirin treatment, because that is all they had, back then.
   I had just noticed, his Hep C and diabetes came on, at the same time, and noted the connection. His diabetes did get better after he got rid of the Hep C virus, but he said, when he eats 'Lil Debbie" cakes (they are like Hostess twinkies, etc) then he has to take the shots again...sigh.
   I am assuming I caught the Hep C virus from him, the one time I tried injecting cocaine with him, which isn't even a drug I ever liked, I was just being an dare-devil, young and feeling invincible.  I am pretty sure I caught it from him, because I had never used I.V. drugs before that, and he had. And I hadn't ever had a blood transfusion...I actually refused to be given one, after I hemmoraged, during the birth of my first son, in 1983.  
   It's unfortunate that the blood supply wasn't made safe, until 1985.  I'm wishing you much luck with your battle against this virus~
1960-1970’s
Scientists developed blood tests to identify hepatitis B (1963) and hepatitis A (1973), but many of the blood samples taken for post-transfusion illness tested negative for hepatitis A and hepatitis B. Given that the mode of transmission (blood transfusion) was the same, scientists classified the unidentified cases as non-A, non-B hepatitis. It is now believed that
approximately 90-95% of cases previously classified as non-A, non-B (NA/NB) were actually hepatitis C.

1980-1990’s
In the 1980’s, investigators from the Centers for Disease Control (headed up by Daniel W. Bradley) and Chiron (Michael Houghton) identified the virus in 1989. In 1990, blood banks began screening blood donors for
hepatitis C, but it wasn’t until 1992 that a blood test was perfected that effectively eliminated HCV from the blood transfusion supply. Now, there is less than one per two million transfused units of blood estimated to
be tainted with hepatitis C. Prior to the screening of the blood supply for hepatitis C, approximately 300,000 Americans contracted hepatitis C through blood transfusions or blood products.

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/factsheets_pdf/Brief_History_HCV_10.pdf
  Thanks for the correction, Guy. It's very unfortunate that so many people caught the virus this way, all the way up until 1992. More Public Awareness and education needs to be done about this disease,  so thank you for contributing so much valuable imfo~
How are you doing? Have u see. Dr yet? If your in a small town with no g.I specialist you trust if a bigger town is close enough try finding a hepatoligist Omg spelled that wrong anyway try to find one in a different city if it would.make u feel for comfortable. Also for sure make sure your diabieties is under control that causes way more of the aymptons u described. And we aren't Dr or anything but we are here for you keep your head up and keep us informed.
well I have seen gastro and my geno type is a1 my load count is nine million three hundred and sixty thousand, my agl levels have gone down and now i am of insulin for the diabetes and actos.  I am starting to feel a little better but my blood sugar is still at 265 in morn and i am to increase it by two every three days until i get it to 130......

I will be starting treatment for the hep c , just waiting for the nurse to set it up, I hope u guys have not forgot about me, sorry it took a little while to post back but comp. went down......go figure..

I have found that with a little salt and pepper trolls are quite tasty !!!
  Nice to hear back from you, I am still in the working it out phase, although now that i have started to inject insulin (real hard to mentally get around), I think I am feeling better, but thanks for looking out........my comp. was down for a little while so I could not get back as fast as i wanted to but i am so grateful to everyone for there help and support .........Trolleater
Hi I am glad you are getting your Dm under control and you are talking to doc about treatment for hepc. Good luck.  take care of your health
  Got some bad news today, the ultrasound found an 8mm mass in liver.  I have appt for a blood test to check for cancer and an mri to get a better look, I also have appt at end of week with the hep c nurse, the one that does the treatment, to go over all of this, dont really know what is going to happen and feeling very scared, and to be honest except for this site I feel alone...
WIll follow up once I have more info.... brighter side blood sugar was down to 205 this morning although i have had to up the insulin every three days...
OMG! I am so sorry to hear this. Does this mean all the things you were feeling before were symptoms? Is there such a thing as a benign mass on the liver? What kind of mass? When will you know? I am sorry I should have Googled all this before asking but seriously this is a response for the amazing Hector or Bill or Will. Maybe even Pooh. You seriously hang in there since you are not alone.
Sorry for any error since I am on my rinky-dink cell phone. I hope there are more posts offering insight and support when I get home.

This is really an amazing turn of events given the start of your post and all the subsequent comments. It is obvious none of us were expecting this so I can imagine how incredibly overwhelmed you must be right now. I know this won't be easy but try not to freak and imagine the worst or let your imagination take over. You really need more information right now. Stay strong and keep in touch as often as you can.
Oh Trolleater, I am sorry to hear this.  Of course you will have to wait till you get your results back to determine what is actually is, but we do have a member who has Liver Cancer, Hector, he is very knowledgable about the whole subject and has great advice to offer.  Hopefully he will pop in, but if not, you may want to private message him.
  actually I am still feeling very poor, extremely tired all the time, did manage to get a little work out in this morning (lifting weights, cardiocycle,), also got lawn mowed, running out of vacation time at work and I have a physically and mentally draining job, not real sure how I will handle the added stress, but I see other people here have coped so I am sure I will figure it out, probably be easier If I was a lottery winner but Im just one of the declining middle class, so of course the added strain of paying all the bills wont help any but, it is what it is..... any suggestions for handling the stress of all this *preferably without medications)...   what do others do in this situation ?    

Do not know for sure it is cancer, so trying to be positive .....not easy...
I'm SO sorry to hear of this unexpected development, and so sorry that you are still feeling so crummy too, but the good news is that you are still making an effort to remain positive. Good for you! Hang in there — we will all be rooting for you in this battle, and sending all our best wishes and hopes.
  After reading my last post I hope no one thought that i meant financially I am not in that kind of a bind, I was tired at end of night and did not mean for it to sound that way.  The question I was asking for is when your in this situation (being sick all the time), what things do you find relieve in???

Once again I am sorry if anyone thought I meant financially, I sure we all have that burden...

If you take a troll and dip it in chocolate they are great for valentines day
jut be sure to use non sweet chocolate (trolls are sweet on their own)
I didn't get that impression from you. Not anymore than the majority of us who struggle in these financially difficult time. Even if you had meant that you were in a bind, I don't think anyone would think any less of you. I certainly wouldn't.
What I picked up was a lot of concern for your health situation and a desire to be supportive of you during this period.
Take good care.
No, no, I didn't get that impression at all, from your last post, dont even worry about that!  
   Lets just hope for the best, etc. I dont really know the answer to your question, but just wanted to be on here, to support you, and sending you a big hug~
  Thanks, having a really crappy day, been feeling like sh  t and I think that I might be falling into depression of some sort, its kinda like dang why does it take so long to find out about everything, im so tired of waiting without knowing.  Does anyone else have this problem, probably so.  It seems like I take one step forward and three steps back, all I can say is thanks for listening I really dont have anyone else I feel like i can talk to.  I am surrounded by people all the time, but I dont feel like I can confide in anyone, I am one of the top people in what I do, so I can never show that I am weak, and I am having a hard time with this....I dont know maybe I shouldnt talk about these other feelings here if its not medical.  Is it ok to talk about these other feelings I have, I know this is a medical site but its not like I go to chat rooms or something, I just found this site  and was looking for answers to questions I had, in this short time I feel like I have found a family.... is that wrong.... by the way thanks for the hug I needed one...
I am very happy you found this forum.It can be tremendously supportive and informative. Of course you can talk about what you are feeling,we all do and you will find some people are superb at getting the correct information to you while others will be more emotionally supportive.We are all going through mood swings and some feelings are very raw, so sometimes there's a bit of disagreement-don't let that scare you away, you are as important as anyone else on this forum.
  Thanks for that , last night I was a little down, still dont feel well but today I am a little more stable.  Blood sugar still high and having abdominal pains also noticed that my sides hurt.
  One of the reasons I have been so freaked out about cancer is my father and brother both died at a younger age of cancer so in the back of my mind I feel like its my turn, brother died at 40 father died at 36, I have already out lived them, so I am just freaked out, more so for my two children then myself but I probably shouldnt be like this without having a true answer and being more educated about my issues, so before I post anymore of my frustrations I will find out (for sure) what is going on with me, and I have a feeling you guys will be hearing a lot from me because I will be starting treatment soon, and im sure ill have alot of questions.  Right now the issue i have is getting the blood sugars down, this morning i was at 225 but I just cant seem to get it under 200 I am working on a better diet and trying to get at least 20min of exercise, but not as easy as it sounds, I started off at 10 units of insulin and I am now up to 16 a day but blood sugars are going down just really slow, I kinda thought it would happen faster with insulin, still freaked out about doing shots though but look like something I will have to live with.
I thank you for letting me post , sorry for being so winded lately
Yes, you HAVE found a sort of family here, and since all the emotional stuff is inextricably linked to the diseases, yes, of course it's okay to talk about them. This group is incredibly knowledgeable about HCV, and since we are all intimately familiar with most of its effects, the people here are also uniquely qualified to provide emotional support as well. We all lean on each other at some point.

You are in a very difficult position though, if you have no one else. Depression is very common with any chronic disease, and more so when the diseases multiply. I hope you will continue to use the support of this group, but I'd also like to encourage you to discuss the possible depression issues with your doctor. I think some kind of local support group would be really good for you, and at some point you might want to consider anti-depressants too. A lot of us find them necessary.

Best wishes, and keep us posted.
I just want to second what oceanus said about a support group and or anti depressants. There is no shame in this...you are at a crisis point in your life and it is important to get all the help you can.Even with family and friends, many of us feel very alone during this low period. Call in the reinforcements.
My Mom died of colon cancer in her 40's and my sister of liver cancer in her 50's. I know your fear well. I decided at some point that I will focus on the fact that my dad never had cancer and that I am going to take after him in that. I look like he did, I was always very energetic and healthy as a kid and darned if I am going to let the "bad genes" dominate me.
Think positive, think of your strength and drive and know it will return to you, when you get through this most difficult time. And know, that we are all with you in our own small ways as we travel this road.
All the best to you dear troll eater-mangia!
  Thank you....
think I am going fishing tomorrow its been years ...
and I do have another question for anyone I have found that
my throat is swelling up and its harder for me to swallow, is that a side
effect of insulin, or could the advancement of hep c be causing this,  today
I almost choked on a piece of shredded chicken I had on my salad, it was
just to hard to swallow, I never had this problem before and it does not look
like my throat is infected................ am I reading to much in to this .. I dont see the dr. until next week , should I alert him about this ?
Ah, I am glad the hug helped : )
    The depression subject is perfectly acceptable/normal, for this site. New studies are finding out that Hep C crosses the brain barrier, and actually causes depression.
   Then put your other two physical problems together, and it can get much more over-whelming.
  I am just really glad that you were smart enough to spot your physical symptoms, and get to the Doctor. It is much better to know you have this problem, and treat it right away. Just think how much worse it could have been, if you hadn't found out all this.
   You are being a good Dad xo  
I hope the mass on your liver turns out to be benign.  Last year the dr. found a 4mm mass on my liver, but it turned out to be just a cyst, I believe this is the most common type of liver mass.  I wish you the best with this, I know how tough it is when you first get news like this, your mind goes crazy.
Regarding the throat problem: I have only two similar experiences to compare that with. I personally once had a bronchitis problem that turned into a throat infection. It became so hard to swallow that I required an I.V. for fluids - but that was an obvious infection and did not coincide with this tx. The other experience I can relate is one my husband has. He periodically gets swelling in his throat that is initiated by allergies but sometimes snowballs into muscle spasms in his throat that restrict his ability to breath freely and are quite scary. When that happens the most helpful meds are muscle-relaxants and anti-anxiety drugs. It would require an M.D. to figure out if your problem is anything like these, but I thought I'd throw this out there since no one else seems to be posting a response on that subject.
That's true, we didn't comment on the swollen throat, but I have read on here, that it can be caused by a thyroid problem, so ask your Doctor to go over the labs, they test for thyroid probs, on my blood tests~
  thyroid was high on the labs, but I also think I read that hep c can cause the throat to swell up , but Im not real sure, so thats why I asked, I will say this does not feel like anything else before, so I did call dr. booked  full for today so will go in on monday.  but thanks for the post....

could not go fishing , it was raining (or at least cold and dark all day).
maybe tomorrow...
  Went for MRI and had blood test done to check for cancerous material, but not having a good day feeling really crappy, did talk to hep c nurse while in town, she did say that the issues i am having with my throat could be from the hep c she told me it was common for people in the latter stages to get a swelling in their throat, although i am still not sure what stage i am in , will post when I get the results --- next 24 to 48 hrs.....

Today trolls just taste horrible with anything.....
Sorry to hear you're feeling crappy, but that's totally understandable, since your situation is still "up in the air". Once you know more, and set up a treatment plan, I bet you will feel better.
   I hadn't heard about the swollen throat, but be careful. If you spit up any blood, go right to the Emergency Room, because that could be from a vein in your esophegus bursting (from too much pressure, if your liver isn't filtering, and blood flow is backing up into other places in your body). You have to go quickly,and they will tie a band around the "varice". It's happened to a few of the Heppers I know. But this is the worst case scenario.
      Try to stay busy, if you can, to make the time go by quicker, but also take it easy on yourself, physically.  My throat is also swollen right now, I dont know if it's from the meds I'm on, or an infection, but it's been this way for 7 weeks now...I am unable to scream at my kids, or my husband....when I try it gets raw, and much worse~
   Hang in there, TrollEater, we are all praying for you here
You are in my thoughts. I know how hard it can be to wait for results like that and I wish I had a magic button that would fast-forward you through the wait. Don't hesitate to make a pest of yourself if they seem to be slower than necessary - sometimes it is what you have to do.
-Saelon
Hi  for one understand  not had over 3 or 4 good days since I started fatigue, fevers , no appitite every thhing taste like lead or copper. I am week 15/24 liver enzimes still high. My blood work is normal but these enzimes is worring me sick.................. dr says not worry but i ask him why they keep going up every mo. he was assistant dont even think he knew ................................praying when it is over they go down I know lots work and do this treatment  I sure couldn't. today i am week shaky and low grade fever light head ache. I am thankful I dont have rashes and joint pain and some of the otherr sever side affect .  I just continue to read my Bible pray and ask god to heal me and take care of this desease for us all.................
God Bless
bbj.
why is my reply flag in red and preport  any one know
   Still waiting................... but thanks for the reply,

The red flag is on everyone's block you can either click it to report wrongdoing or below it click reply to respond to message...
OH OK THANKS
Today was a day, I was thinkin' about how well I was doin', then I started tp dwell on something & BAM..............there is was......that stinkin' rage.......it finally fired it self out I hope.....maybe it just helps to say it...........BAM
  Man I know how you feel, got up this morning still not knowing what my status is, you know the hurry up and wait game, checked my blood sugar and even though the dr almost doubled my insulin yesterday, no change, and then BAM I got angry, why no change, why me wtf I feel like Im just kickn a dead horse.  It really stinks to be so sick, so tired I have lost all my luster for life, this is one of those days where I feel like crawling under a rock, I am still waiting to find out If I have cancer...on top of everything else, my daughter is starting to act out, if anything does happen to me she will flip, but its hard to hide all this when I have days I dont even feel like moving, I feel like I have lost my soul.......I am just a shell of my former self, and don't know who I am anymore......just one of those days

I cooked a troll in the George Foreman last night, I got almost an once of grease in the front catch pan......
  Oh, bye the way can anyone tell me their experiance with insulin inj. and hep c , I started with ten units I am now up to 25 units and don't seem to be seeing a change , diet is not horrible, and try to get a little exercise every day even if its just working in the yard.
  Should I be seeing a big change???
  Is 25 units alot???
  It's been three or four weeks and I am also taking actos with..... Thanks
      YEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH  !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got results , does not seem to be cancer, they will not say 100% UNTILL AFTER COLONOSCOPY AND ENDOSCOPY (next week), but blood test where norm and mri did not show anything.......

Think I will make a troll with truvia and cinnamon on toast ... lol
YESSSSSS!!  A normal blood test and MRI are excellent! I am so happy for you, and I know you are having a better day now!
    That is good that they scheduled the colonscopy and endoscopy for next week, that is not much of a wait, but gives you time to prepare your mind for the unpleasant procedures.
   How long have you been eating trolls for? We had one around here, on the forum, a few days ago, trying to scare a  people out of treating with Interferon, etc~
I am very happy for your good news and wish you only continued good news, troll eater. Some others will be able to answer your medical questions, I do not know enough about the meds. Your diet has to be a lot better than "not horrible" though, for your diabetes and for your liver function. Please take it as seriously as you do medication.
I really want to mention your daughter. Having been a teenager with a very sick mother (diabetes, hepatitis, colon and liver cancer) I can tell you that her acting out is based on her fears and own anger about getting her needs met. Get her some help, even with the best outcome for you, she needs a lot of support.
All the best to you and your family.
   Need to set a troll trap for that annoying pest, and I dont know if you can see the aura on my words , but yes, yes, yes, my day just got alot better..
  Now I am hoping this news will make my daughter feel better, she is daddy's girl and recently has been angry at everything, I think I should not let her know everything that is going on, but one of my rules is never to lie to each other .....   Hey just so you know , I really appreciate your support...

Got to go, I hear some fish calling out to me, maybe I can use trolls for bait.
Congratulations on the great test results - I'm so happy for you! I hope you have a great day fishing and can let go of all your troubles for a while and replenish your soul with the beauty of the great outdoors and the simple joys of being alive. Do you ever take your daughter fishing with you? Maybe she could use that soul-replenishment too, or maybe there's another outdoor activity you could do together, like strolling in a park? Just wondering. It would probably do her a lot of good to see you enjoying life. I wish you the best results in your upcoming tests too.  
-Saelon
Yay!  So happy it was good news for you!
  O.K now that I have the cancer scare behind me and I have met with the hep c nurse in CHARGE of my treatment(today), I found out there is still a lot of things needed before I can actually start treatment, I have just about everything scheduled for next week so no worries, but here's the problem...
  I still feel horrible, my blood sugar is still running just under 230-300 every morning and the dr. just put me up to 25 units for the 16 i had just got to.
on third shot at this level so will see what it is in the morning, I was informed by the hep c nurse that If I cant get blood sugar under control she wont let me start treatment, what the heck is going on is the diabetes aggravating the hep c or vice versa, why cant I get blood sugar down , the dr. told me that when I went to insulin shots It would be down in no time, my diet isnt perfect but its a lot better then it was when I had it under control.. Is it because the hep c went aggressive ? the nurse today did not know the answer does any one have an idea or thought on this.... thanks

I think today I will pickle some trolls ......
Yeah, you have to get the blood sugar thing down, for a successful Hep C Treatment.
    I used to work for a woman, who had been very over-weight, and had to have a pace-maker put in, and she found out she was diabetic. The hospital made her got to classes, to learn exactly what to eat, to keep her diabetes in check.
   I thought I knew pretty much everything about how to avoid sugar, etc, since I'm a helath-nut, but she taught me alot of stuff. Like, I thought soups were healthy, but she told me grinding up the veggies and cooking them down made more sugar, and that it was better to lightly saute the veggies, or eat raw, etc.
   She avoided all the foods that had enriched white flour, and she rode her bike, and ended up losing all the weight and keeping her diabetes in check.
  Have you scheduled an appt with a dietician, who could give you a food chart, to exactly adhere to?
  already done that, and got a pretty good grasp on it, the problem i am having is that even with diet and exercise (nothing over the top), my blood sugar does not want to go down, maybe I need to go over the top but dang.. I am no spring chicken anymore, I do eat a lot of raw veggies, I call myself the salad king, and have gone from 350 a year ago to 280 now, and had my a1c down to 6.5 but recently when the hep c turned aggressive my blood sugar jumped up to 10(a1c)  and now im injecting insulin and taking actos, where before i only took actos,  I am wondering is the hep c causing this, i feel pretty sure that the high blood sugar is making me feel bad , or is it ? maybe its the hep c , this is where im stuck at and no one seems to know the answer, that is way im asking if anyone else has had this problem since hep c and diabetes seem to go together ....
Most people dont feel super crappy until they have cirrhosis, and then they tend to have ascites (fluid build up) in there belly or ankles, and they "bleed out"..there gums may bleed easily, and they have this condition where the re veins burst, called verices.
   When I started to feel bad, my blood sugar was higher, I was not diabetic. My symptoms (and my biopsy had me at stage 2, but my FibroSure {blood} test had me at stage 4- cirrhosis) were that my platelets dropped, so check your labs, and let me know what your platelets are- normal is 150(000) or much higher, and mine were down to 120(000).
   My other symptoms were, I looked bad. My eyes were sunken in, and red rimmed, and I got these huge dark circles (which I still have, even though the treatment is making me better) and my muscles seemed much weaker.
   I was also completely intolerant to heat, so on the heat-wave days (anything above 75 degrees) I would wake up feeling tired, and my throat would be scratchy. I would be tired, and VERY grumpy, and when I drank water, it would go right thru me. I felt incredibly uncomfortable in my skin, a buzzing feeling, like I had been poisoned. I wouldn't be able to think straight, on these hot days, and my sweat was sticky, and my pee smelled like ammonia. Also, my blood pressure would get really low, which I think was from the heat exhaustion.
   But that's just my personal account, most people on here didn't have any symptoms like that, so I sometimes wonder if I have another ailment, as well. I'm gonna be 50 yrs old this summer, so it's hard to tell, I used to feel completely healthy, until about 47 yrs old.
   Oh, I also got pretty constipated in the end, also, I had heard that is not a good thing to happen, with hep C, so now I eat this flax meal, and oat bran~ I cant believe I was young and healthy one day, and now my joints seem to be popping out, at the sockets, also~
I'm very glad to hear that your MRI was clear for cancer.  That must be a big relief for you.  Hep C treatment can be hard on your body, so that is why your nurse wants you to get your blood sugar under control before you start treatment.  As you know, diabetes can cause major health issues and complications (circulation problems, vision problems, parasthesia, moodiness, fatigue to name a few).  Hep C treatment can cause your blood sugar to increase, it is a side effect of some of the medications, and Hep C treatment can also have side effects that cause similar complications (vision problems, moodiness, fatigue, and even some neuropathy type symptoms, so the two combined can exacerbate each other.  Work hard on controlling your blood sugar so that you can treat your Hep C.  Keep us posted.
Advocate1955
Sounds like you've had a rough go of it BoceprevrGal.....I really hope the cirrohsis straightens out....

After listening to so many of you peeps, I feel very fortunate & feel & was told, my liver will regen within a year after getting rid of that barstid virus.
Although I'm 57, newly diagnosed & a month into treatment I am fortunate......at least right now...
  Thanks for the replies,
  Blood sugar was lower 212 and I seem to feel a little better,
but my feet are  always so cold and sometimes I get cold spots in my hands
I have been diagnosed with periphal nueropoty (cant spell).
  When I wear socks, which is often they hurt.my feet and legs, when i lay in bed the blankets hurt my feet, and my throat still hurts....have I cried enough for the day, it is a cold and dreary day here so it matches my mood lol..
but i will cry no more.. I always talk about me, and I just want everyone to know that I wish the best for all of you, and thanks for letting me share
HAVE A GOOD DAY !!

I was at the international food store and found some low fat trolls
think I will bake them............
Hi there, all I have read so far is your question.  If your sugar is that high you are in danger.  High sugar levels thicken the blood and can cause problems with clots and strokes and heart problems.
I have diabetes and when I treated the first time I did not watch my sugar and relapsed, not sure if the two were connected however you can do a search on Insulin Resistance during tx.
This last time I treated I watched my sugar very closely and I was able to get to UND by the 4th week and remain that way 2 months later.  I am sorry for all you are going through.  When my sugar was out of control I had a lot of pain in my legs, they felt as if they would burst.  Now that is is better I feel better.
I wish you the best am glad you do not have cancer and hope you can get the sugar under control before you treat.  I have the impression that the liver not working right contributes to the sugar problems.  Of course I am not a doctor however you could do a search for the connection
Hi, I have read everyones comments, really good advice
When I was diagnosed with Diabetes I was told, no pizza, pasta, fruit juice, doughnuts, ice cream, cookies, etc.  I was told I had to eat less than 180 mg of carbs per day.  The carbs all turn in to sugar in the body, so just stopping the obvious sugar is not enough.  Another diabetic told me that everything turns in to sugar so I needed to quit all cereals, white flour etc unless they were high fiber.  I always thought diabetics just needed to stop sugar, that is not the case.  After I got serious I started to lose 10 lbs a month.
I know that when my sugar is out of control I feel much like you are describing.  I hope you feel better very soon
The pain and coldness in your legs, feet, and hands could be a sign of poor circulation related to your diabetes.  It could also be a sign of cryoglobulanemia, which is a blood condition in which there is too much protein in the blood.  Many people with Hep C and liver disease develop this condition.  It could also be a sign of venous insufficiency or reflux, which is a condition in which some of the major veins in your legs are weak and the blood travels down to your feet, but your veins are not strong enough to maintain the flow of blood back up your body.  I'm not a doctor, so of course, I am probably not using the right medical terms.  There could be other possible explanations for your symptoms as well, but these are the three that come to mind.  I suggest that you talk to your doctor about these symptoms and try to determine what may be causing them.  The most likely, in my humble opinion, is your blood sugar.  You will want to be very, very careful to prevent any injury to your toes, feet, or legs, as you are at risk for having difficult to heal wounds which can become easily infected.  Be very careful not to walk barefoot and not to get any cuts or scratches in the areas that have poor circulation.  If you do, go to your doctor right away.  If you don't see well enough to trim your nails, ask your doctor's office if there is someone in your clinic who does pedicures and manicures for people with diabetes.  If you have venous insufficiency/reflux, perhaps your doctor can refer you to a vascular specialist to assess and monitor your condition.  Again, this condition puts people at risk for pain, swelling, bruising, and difficult to heal wounds in the feet and legs, but there are surgical treatments that can help.  Prescription socks can help with the pain and swelling that comes with poor circulation with either diabetes or venous insufficiency, but it needs to be assessed and treated by a doctor.  Be careful because neuropathy can lead to injuries.  Your perception of hot, cold, objects such as steps, is changed, and you are at risk of injuring your feet, hands, or legs by touching something too hot, being exposed to too much cold, or tripping, etc.  Also, I would suggest that you see your eye doctor and have your eyes checked for two reasons: 1) you have diabetes and the high blood sugar can affect the pressure in your eyes, and 2) you are hoping to start Hep C treatment soon.  It may be useful to know how your eyes are so that you can prevent vision problems that arise with diabetes, and so that your eye doctor can monitor your eyes through HCV treatment.  Again, your diabetes and related symptoms are your first priorities right now.  How is your blood pressure?
Advocate1955
  Hey, no problem with the crying, look what you've been thru recently! Glad to hear your sugar is down a bit, I'm sure all the stress in unhealthy also.
   Even though I dont have diabetes, ever since I have had the Hep C, sugar has given me many infections, mainly female problems, like bladder-infections, and yeast infections, but this kind of thing effected the quality of my life!
   I am glad you are posting, because I have been feeling crappy again lately, and I am on all these meds now, the Triple Tx, and Procrit, which cant possibly be healthy for the rest of my body although they kicked the %@*$ out of my Hep C virus!!  What your post is reminding me, is to cut back on my own sugar intake!  Plain yogurt, instead of the fruity stuff, no more white bread...if I get really strict abut this stuff, and just have the grains ( I'm staring at a box of Kashi 7 whole grain Pilaf) and the veggies, I actually do feel SO much better! You have to be completely disciplined with this stuff, and you will feel really proud of yourself, once you can completely master this white-flour stuff.  People with Hep do need protein though, I still have the the lean chicken breast, etc.
Mostly I've been feeling pretty helpless when reading this thread because I don't know much about it, but I finally have seen one thing I know of that can help! I used to care for an elderly relative with severe edema and very poor circulation of the feet and legs, and I found special socks for him online at footsmart.com. They are advertised as for diabetics, and they are incredibly soft, with a very easy stretch so they don't put any pressure on the skin. My relative was VERY happy with them  The site also sells some special shoes for swollen feet that worked well for him, and I think they also had a little device that goes in st the foot of the bed and holds the blankets up to keep the weight off the feet. I sincerely hope some of these items can help you a little bit.
I always have cold feet and hands also, and had trouble with socks hurting my ankles/legs, this past year, and they would leave these deep marks in my skin, which is one of the reasons I knew it was time to get treatment.
   What I always do now, is wear the ankle socks, in a too large size, but you can go a notch lower, and I know the mens dept has sock like this, they are called "no show" socks, even lower then the ankle socks. They are not the most macho socks, and they sometimes slip down, with me, but at least it takes care of the pain.
  Wow so much good information, I feel special, and I did not know they even made a device to hold blanket off your feet, as bad as it is it lets me know that I am not the only one.  Talked to dr yesterday, went in and got hep a and hep b shots (have to have before they will allow me to start treatment for hep c ),  and talked about the feet being so cold, they agree that it is diabetes as I also believe because when blood sugar is lower they are not as cold, as far as the socks go, I have been wearing shortys for a long time, except at work there I have to wear a suit and tie (professional attire). and shorty's just dont go well....lol but I wish I could , I have heard about these diabetic socks but have not bought any yet as it is the dress socks that really get me, even the looser ones just seem to cut right in.. well I am off to get an endoscopy so If I dont post again it did not go well..... Just kidding...

I think today I will wrap sliced pieces of troll in rice paper with bean sprouts and cabbage so I can make springtrolls ....
  endoscopy found some mild vascular swelling and signs of acid damage in lower part of throat, now I get to take more medicine. they found some other issues so they took biopsy will follow up on later, right now really tired and I dont think anything was real serious.  I have eye exam tomorrow with dialation and Friday I have colonosopy ( i keep getting red underlines so I know i am misspelling some words, but I have never been good at spelling, and just dont feel like fixing them).  but thanks for all the good post and will keep you informed as I move along....
I've had to wear those compression socks here & there, I have 5 pair......
They're not bad......They'll keep those swollen ankles & calves in check trolleater...
Eye exam went well although the first doctor thought he found something and then I had to rush over to specialist while still dialated and he took one look and cleared me for the hep c treatment, so now I have almost everything done in order to start treatment....colonoscopy tomorrow....
  My other dr who is working on diabetes called me and since my body has issues with metforman(almost killed me about 1 yr ago) he now wants me to do 30 units of insulin in morn and 25 units at night which seems like a big increase to me as four days ago I just jumped up to 25 units at night, but my blood sugars havnt shown much change so Im going to roll with it I trust my primary care dr. alot....
  Yesterday I went walking as I was grocery shopping and I had a dull but constant pain in the upper right hand side of stomach, I can only assume that is where they took biopsy. but it started to hurt alot and I had to go home and take it easy, still bothersome today but not as bad
  AND NOW FOR THE BIG ??????
They are going to use PEGASYS TO FIGHT THE HEP C
any feedback , I was told this med. had the highest success rate at about
78% ...... I did have a choice between this and I think Ivocect or something like that I am sure I am not spelling it correctly and I dont have the paper with the name but I know it started with an I....
  If you have any info to help me confirm  my choice please let me know asap, they have not ordered yet...

If you boil trolls with chicken and mushrooms you will get a wonderful tasty broth.....
I'm guessing that maybe your doctor rushed a bit in describing the tx options. Genotype 1A is a stubborn one to treat, and the success rates with Pegasys alone are abysmally low. The success rates with Pegasys and Ribavirin together got a lot better but were still not great. Many of us (including myself) went through both of those treatments and still had the virus. It's only since they added one of two new protease inhibitors to the mix that success rates started to be really good. That means a triple tx. Both versions include Pegasys and Ribavirin, but one version starts off the therapy by adding Incivek (also known as Teleprivir) for the first 12 weeks, and the other version starts off with just the 2 drugs but adds in Victrelis (also known as Boceprivir) later in the tx. Does this sound like what your doctor may have been trying to say, and are you seeing an actual hepatologist for tx?
  My bad, I will be doing the triple tx it will be pagasys and riaviran and incivek
I am just so new to this and was looking at just a box they had given me, so I guess I need to revise my question .... are these the recommended meds or is their something else I should be aware of , they did give me a choice between incivek and something else but the dr recommended incivek... thanks for helping me.....the victelis was the other one...I am going to choose the incivek... is that what others have done ?????
  By the way had colonoscopy this morning and all went well, they did find two small polyps and removed them dr. said nothing to worry about.

I tried to teach a troll to spell but he could'nt so I ate him,,,,
Great job of getting your pre treatment exams completed. I use the incivek and will hopefully only have to take for 12 weeks instead of my full 24 week treatment. Will be nice to be down to only 2 meds...Have just started week 6 without any real sides YET. Best wishes :)
   Great to hear that you have not had too many side effects, I have been very worried about it as I seem to be very in tune to my body and feel things easy
so thanks for positive post as I am afraid of what will happen and excited to get it started if that makes any sense....
I do understand. It is quite the emotional pull to be so happy to finally start treatment and I was so terrified of the what ifs. I too am very hypersensitive and in touch with how I operate. I decided to ahead with with it all as I had a perfect window of time, FINALLY, in my life to take care of me. This is such a wonderful site for information, encouragement and support. Best wishes....
  Thanks .....
  Oh, and bye the way good luck to you I hope all goes well , If you dont mind keep me updated on whats up so I know what to expect...if you don't mind.
and I do agree about this site, I have already recommended it to people all over the USA(mostly family members or clients).
Will do. Thank you....Best Wishes:)
Wow, I cant believe how much you have just gotten dpne!!   YYou are a real trooper, I thought I had gotten so much done, when all I did was go to my PCP for an urgent care appt, to get anti-itch pills (Hydroxyzine?)...the Riba gave me a rash, when I went in the sun. Everybody warned me not to go in the sun, but I'm not a vampire V^^V !!
   I think, in your case, I would pick the Incivek, because it is only Triple tx for 12 weeks, and the rest of the time will only be the Pega/Interferon shot, once weekly, and the Ribavirin pills.
  The other one is the one I'm on, called Victrelis, so I had a 4 week leadin, with just the Pega?Interferon shots and Ribavirin pills, and that was easy.  But when they added the Victrelis, I got much worse side effects, and will be on all three meds, the total treatment being 28 weeks, for me, with 24 being on the Triple Tx, so it is at least twice as long as the Incivek triple tx.
    With the Incivek, you will be bombarding your body all at once, with three strong meds, sudden kill...BOOM!
   If you want to go slower, then try what I'm on, the Victrelis.  The four week lead in  will give your body time to get used to the first tow meds (Pega/Interferon shot, and Ribavirin pills) and you will get an idea if your body responds well to the Pegasys plus Ribivirin.  In my case, I cleared my Hep C virus, at the 4 week test, and all AST/ALT liver enzymes went down to normal at that point.  Then the Doctor added the Victrelis, and I just did my 12 week viral load test, and waiting for the results,
   Now, the Incivek can cause a painful rash (worse than the Riba-Rash I have right now) and anal issues, such as anal bleeding hemmhoroids, and anal fissures.  (only sometimes, some people only have burning, etc)
   The Victrelis has a side effect called "dysgeusia"..a very bitter taste in the mouth, so you will have to use tons of mouth-wash, and I like the Toms' peppermint toothp[aste, with xylitol.
  NOW~  one more IMPORTANT thing for you to bring up to your Doctor:  the Incivek (which he is leaning towards) requirs a walloping 20 grams of fat, three times a day.  This requirment will be a big challenge for you, because you are still struggling with your blood sugar.
   The Victrelis only needs to be taken with a light meal.  So in my opinion, I think you should choose the Victrelis, because of your diabetes.
  Have you had a liver biopsy yet, by the way??
Oh, Haha...I re-read the post: I started out choosing the Incikek, but remembered the dietary requirment, and went with Victrelis....
   The Pegasys is known to cause this sort of disorganized thinking, lol
Those spring-trolls sounded yummy : )
You make the tx sound so inviting there Gal.......
  I started to write about ten or more lines and whine, but NO,
today I went fishing, and did not catch but one little blue gill, took my kids and one of their friends with me, and we had a great time.  I got some great photos of them playing and fishing, catching frogs, and laughing.....
  One of those days when you know why you live, and what life is worth..
so today I will not whine or grip about anything, I did have a crazy week, but now it is over, and next week will be what it is, I will post some pictures of today in the next day or two, and maybe it will help someone like me who has had a bad week............love you guys and will talk to you later..
  Thank you so much for all the support, I can not tell you how much it means to me....

Tonight I took a troll, and used a slingshot to shot him to the moon, and the moon grew bigger.....just look outside
I like this trolleater-thread, it's like the Never-Ending Thread : D
Hey, that is great, that you managed to be "in the moment" in the sun-shine, with your kids, today!
  So now, can I whine???   I developed a Riba-Rash, from going out in the sun, and it's taking on all kind of new forms of itchiness. It's on my torso, and  I just noticed the skin under the welts is getting to be like elephant skin...wahhhh!!!
  Dang sorry to hear that, what are you going to do to treat it? and you call it a  riba rash what is that from? the ribaflavin, is this something I can expect..
also as much as I whine and you listen, you can whine all you want and I will listen...............I kinda think that is what we are all here for, is each other :)
  Well try to have a good day, I need to go out to car and get camera, and later I will put some pics of "day at the lake" up feel free to look if you want to ...
  As the week goes on I will let you know what happens to the "newbie"
I dont think this week will be as exciting as they have to order meds and etc...
blood sugars went back up to three hundred this morning, and started the double dose, .....hope this works...bye for now.
  If anyone did miss the moon last night, in my pics is a picture from last night, the moon was closer to earth then normal... wont be that close again for quite a few years....  maybe thats a sign that we will all get better and everything will be great :)
  Well several days into trying to control diabetes so far so good got to go to the dr. to be approved for hep c treatment, making appt today....will say that getting the diabetes under control (at least trying) is making a difference on my overall attitude and clearer thinking process...
Good thing!
finally got diabetes under control, back at work all well until I start treatment, they  are ordering meds, thanks for all the support through hard times will get back in a week or two to discuss treatment and let you know how it is going, bye for now....

put trolls in a blender with whole fruit, made a troll smootie , it was quite tasty.....