Hepatitis C Community
stripes on toenail - a weird SX?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

stripes on toenail - a weird SX?

i just finished my 24 week TX (GT 2b) YIPPEE !!!  but i noticed white stripes going across my toenails - 7 of 10 of them BUT my fingernails are just fine - anyone ever see this before? i am kind of thinking it is a sx of the pegasys, copegus - anyone have any clues???

thanks for any input >;o)
Related Discussions
8 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
338734_tn?1377163768
Did you check with your manicurist?  Just kidding. I have no idea what causes that. My stripes go lengthwise and are on my fingernails. Go figure?

:-)
Blank
217229_tn?1192766004
OK - someone once told me there is a thing called "TERRY'S NAILS"

It's chemotherapy caused.

At the end of my TX - I had BROWN nails at the top ---- it was like I had literally dipped my hands in paint. Weird.... Very weird.

But they eventually grew out - and now my nails are no longer brittle or breaking. And the discoloration is gone.

Meki
Blank
I got a stripe across each toenail at the cuticle around the time that I started tx.  only 1 stripe on each and not white, but still a mark.  The stripes on my big toes took a year to grow out.  I am sure it was the tx.

dointime.  
Blank
Although it is debatable whether Interferon is a chemotherapy, the side affects are similar.  More than likely that is the case.  A nail grows at a very slow pace, and you're not likely to see a change for some time.  What you're doing (positively) health-wise post treatment may not show up in your hair, skin and nails to up to a year to a year an a half after your treatment.  My wife (a nurse) mentioned you practically grow a new body in 18 months relative to skin cells, etc.  You are what you eat and how you exercise.  Hang in there and give your nails some time.
http://www.normanallan.com/Med/askdr/horizontal.htm
Blank
I got the same stripes on my fingernails at a certain point and I could directly tie it in to dehydration - not consuming enough water.  When I got more hydrated, they went away.  They were striped because they were ridged.  I don't know if that's the same you have...it's when I noticed I was more dehydrated than usual.
Blank
thanks for the comments - doing further research, i believe it was the TX
it really isn't a problem - i was just curious

thanks all !!!
Blank
440171_tn?1204782401
if you put applecidar vinigar on your cuticle 4 or 5 times a week it will take care of it.this reaaly works.bleach works to but the vinigar smeals a little better.
Blank
584567_tn?1230769937
Those on TX try to keep a low protien and no extra iron in their diet as it works the liver harder to matabalize them. I am not on TX but have hep c. I had this problem with the nails and also loss of a lot of hair which is common when on TX. Since I am not on TX I know it wasn't that.  The doctor ended up testing and my hemaglobin was low. He put me on iron and that took care of the nails and the hair. I suppose it could be for you dut to TX and having the hep c. Hope this helps.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hepatitis C Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...