Hepatitis C Community
symptoms

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

symptoms

Should i have some sort of symptoms or reactions to the medicine,I am taking to treat the hep c virus? I have only used it once this last thursday 180mlg of the pegasyss treatment and  5 pills at 200 mg each.
You mean 1 shot a week and 5 pills a day, right?  Some ppl don't have side effects or very minimal sx's.  Consider yourself very lucky and don't worry about it.  You mean you haven't rec'd the mack truck headache or anything?  Well that's great news.  good luck with the rest of your journey
I did not react physically to the peg shots, either.  Means nothing except that you are one of the lucky ones. It's not impossible to start having little fevers or leg aches after the shot later in treatment so just try to be aware so you won't be shocked if it happens.  Lack of the flu-like reaction does not mean you are not responding, nor does it mean you got less than the amt. you were supposed to.  Just lucky.

It will take a few more weeks for the riba to start pulling down your hemoglobin, which I think it does to everyone.  You'll get tired.  You are off to an excellent start.
My husband didn't have any problems after the first shot either.  Actually he's done pretty well up to this point.  (He's about at wk 10 or 11 I believe?)  But he expected really bad side affects and like you...he was just fine.

But as the other poster said...that can change in time.  As time goes on you "might" run into some side affects so don't be surprised.  My husband around wk 2 started having really bad headaches that woke him up out of a dead sleep.  He has them the night after he does his shot.  He takes two tylenol and drinks lots of water as instructed by the doctor but the headaches still come.  But so far other then that its the major fatique he has trouble dealing with.  Once your hemoglobin drops in a few weeks you will no doubt feel pretty tired.  Try to rest as much as possible and not push yourself if you don't have too.

Other then the headaches and fatigue my husband has done pretty good...so here's wishing you all the best.  Not everyone has bad sides....you might be a lucky one too.  Hang in there.

Rinda
Thanks for the info.I feel better now and I appreciate the help.I'm just still really scared over it all.I've noticed that I feel sad and my stomach is bothering me a bit.I've been taking omega three and a multiple vitamin and a calcium chew every daysince I started taking the medicine.Hopeing that will help with the tiredness syptoms (symptoms).Well, my prayers go out to you all and once again thanks for the comments...Teresa
It would be a good idea to pass all of your over-the-counter meds by your doctor.  A few things will interact with the peg & riba (grapefruit is one) and I was advised to take only iron-free vitamins (like Centrum Silver) to avoid the potential of the liver storing iron.  Hepatitis c treatment is a form of chemotherapy and there's not much you can do to alleviate the effects on your blood.  If you want to try something get doc's approval first.

You're in for a few months of feeling bad if you are like most of us.  Not horrible bad but crummy bad.  I've been surprised that after about 5 months, I don't feel nearly as bad as I did.  It's normal to feel scared.  That gets a little better, too.  Hang in there.

Keep posting.  It really helps to alleviate some of the anxiety to talk to someone else, even if it's just on-line.
Make sure you are taking an iron free supplement for sure, also you really dont' need extra A or K because you get enough already and they store up in your liver...

I did not have any reaction to the shots until much later - but high doses of ribavirin nearly knocked me out at week 3 with the anemia. Then later when that was straightened out it was other issues that appeared...then they would resolve and something else would come up.  Kind of like a merrygoround.

Technically you sort of want to have some difficulty, even those it sounds bizarre, so you know that you are getting the proper dosese of meds to accomplish the job it has to do. The lethargy will probably get you sooner or later - that is the one that most all of us have had to suffer.

To clarify you are taking the pills on a daily basis right?
Yes, I take three at night and two in the morning.Thanks for the tip. I will take all the vitamins and supplements with me to the next appt. Has it made your hair fall out?Sorry to bug. Just curious and worried about it. Thanks Trose411
So, you had to do the treatment for  almost a year? Thanks for the insight I appreciate all that I can find out.I feel alot of nauseau lately, last couple of days any how.How bad is the sun for you. Could I handle a day  at disneyland? Let me know what you think .Thanks for the help. Trose411  
The sun can be pretty bad.  For a day at Disneyland wear (and bring) really strong sunblock and a hat.  Take it easy and enjoy yourself.

jd
Thanks for the tip..I will.
Trose411
The side effects are so diverse for everyone that you won't know how things will affect you till it happens.  I'm not sun-sensitive to the interferon.  Hope the nausea settles down.  Hang in there.
Wow, my symptoms are awful now. I feel like i'm dyeing.I feel dizzy to the point of passing out.Is that normal?  
What is your hemoglobin number? Sounds like you are anemic.