Hepatitis C Community
teeth problems with interferon treatment

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Anybody have teeth problems with interferon peg ribavirin and tmc treatment
Unfortunately it can really aggravate any teeth problems (like cavities) that you already have existing - I spent quite a lot of time in the dentist office during treatment and even still now.

But being cured is worth a couple of root canals :)
Truthfully it can run ur teeth.. I just spent over 2 grand to get a 1 molar pulled out and a root canal on front tooth.. It really was bad never  had any teeth problems, till i started tx and after tx.,
My gums got very swollen during treatment and it was hard to clean very well. I used an interdental for between the teeth and a rubber pick to try and clean and stimulate the gums. Things returned to normal for me after tx.
I also had lots of dental problems during treatment.  Lost a tooth and my gums were swollen.  I had very regular cleans and used toothpaste and mouthwash especially for a dry mouth, Biotene, which I would highly recommend.  

Since stopping treatment and since being SVR my dental health has imporved tremendously esp now that I don't have the virus.  Having the virus causes dry mouth also which increases cavities and infections etc. I would sauymy dental health is way better than it was when I had the virus.

Make sure you drink lots of water, and if you can't drink alot of water even swishing your mouth out with water often will help your teeth and gums.
livn_learnn commented on Salivary gland disord...
Delawarewallflower is ... Comment
susan400 Just diagnosed w/Graves..st... Comment
Track your weight over time