Hepatitis C Community
test result

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

test result

Hello everyone.   I had posted awhile back with some questions but finally got copies of my test results.  I need opinions..I am driving myself nuts.   I have been told I don't have the virus but I need to be sure ... for myself and my kids.  

My ALTS were very high and I was told I had HCV because of these tests...so I called my Dr. and he disagreed.  So he ordered the following tests...

I did a Riba3 Test which came back...undeterminate of course!  (This means that 1 of 5 test strips reacted)

My Dr. then ran the HEP C RNA QUANT Real-Time PCR with a sensitivitiy level of 75 IU/ML and a log value of 1.9.   This test came back undetectable.  :)

My LFT are within normal range again too.   I'm so confused and I don't trust the results.  I know he should have ran a Qual Test rather than a Quant!  (Thanks to all of you I know a little more than I did a month ago!)  

I'm following up in six months but as you all know ... it's hard to wait and I'm always on the net researching.   My kids are very young and I just need reassurance.  

Thank You All!
Krissy
A riba indeterminate and neg Pcr (find out if this was quantitavive or qualitative, qualitative is more sensitive) is usually interpreted as neg.  Do you know which of the 5 bands is pos?  That makes a diff as well.

What was your risk?  Idu is the most common way to transmit Hcv.  Sexual transmission is possible but not common.

If I were you, ask the dr for a QUALITATIVE pcr.  This is more sensitive the quantitative  Pcr.  I have a feeling you will be Ok.
High enzymes can be caused by many reasons other than Hepatitis C. The test you took was relatively sensitive and false negatives are pretty uncommon, so I think you're worrying needlessly at this point. That said, to put your mind to rest, ask the doctor for a sensitive qualitative like Quest's "HCV RNA QL TMA". It goes down to 5 IU/ml. Really don't you need it, nor does your doctor, but can't see any harm in ordering the TMA to put things to rest. Beyond that, you probabably should be seeing a gastro or hepatologist for periodic liver enzyme monitoring as a follow-up to the high enzymes reported earlier.

All the best,

-- Jim
You guys are so wonderul about answering questions.   I don't have any of the usual risk factor's but my sister passed away 3 years ago and I have a feeling she had Hep C.   My aunt also passed away from Hep C several years ago.    (Or from complications from the Hep C.)   My sister and I have shared many a razors and she even pierced my ear for me.   With that being said...the how..or who doesn't matter.

The C22P band was the reactive one.   I have researched enough to know that's one of the ones that you don't want to react!  (LOL)  my luck!

I did have the Quant and not the Qual.   I'm planning on having another test run soon.  It's stressful not knowing for sure because if I am positive I have 3 small children that need tested too.  

Again, I can't say enough how helpful this board has been through this ordeal.  It all started on Feb 8th and my life has been different since then.    This is my favorite place to visit online now and not a day goes by that I have not stopped in to read posts.  
Hep C is transmitted by blood to blood contact.  Sharing personal items is a risl factor, but considered low risk.  Idu is the main method of transmission.  

In all honesty, I have a feeling you are neg.  Have the Pcr qualitative test to find out one way or the other.

Do you know that you can be antibody pos and virus neg?  that is a possibility.

that would mean you had an exposure and cleared the virus and are left with the antibody.  This is NOT dangerous to your health.  The only bad thing is you cannot be an organ donor or blood donor.

Let us know how the Pcr qualitative turns out.  Hope for the best.
What is the level of alt and ast?  If those are in fact 'normal,' that is another good thing for you.  Get the pcr qualitative and put your mind at ease.

If you don't have any idu in your past, you are prob neg.
While I appreciate you alaying the fears of this person who is concerned that they may have Hep C, I really chafe at your multiple postings about intravenous drug use.  There are many people who never did IV drugs, never snorted coke, never engaged in risky sexual practices, but have hep C.  Blood transfusions, air innoculators, ear piercing guns....people got it all different ways years ago.  It is important to those on this board who got Hep C NOT from IV drug use to not attribute this disease solely to IV drug use.  They are feeling stigmatized enough by the perception that the only way to get Hep C is from IV drug use.  
I wasn't trying to offend or chafe anyone.  If I did, i apologize.  But it is a fact most Hcv transmissions are from Idu, is it not?
I never got it from IV.   I don't have a clue.  

Ron
The statistics are not crystal clear but in general it is said 60% of people positive with this virus contracted it through IV drug use, the rest contracted it through the blood supply or through a variety of clinical procedures mentioned by others above. Then there is a whole host of other possible transmission points such as tattoing, piercing, manicures and pedicures in salon settings.
I know their are several ways that it is possible.  This is why I'm having such a hard time with this....BUT...again....I appreaciate all the help and comments that everyone is willing to give.   This is one place I can go and know that I am not alone in my fears.       Again, thank you everyone and I will keep you updated.  

I may wait a couple of weeks before I do the other test.   I'm mentally strained from all the stress!