Hepatitis C Community
treatment at level 4 grade 2 or b cirrhosis

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Has anyone ever started treatment at level 4 grade 2 or b cirrhosis? If so did it work? I'm still waiting to talk to specialist, internal medicine doctor wasn't sure about what would be next . He was thinking that I would just have to have a liver transplant. He said that cirrhosis won't get better. Any idea what's next for me?
We've had a number of people here who have succesfully treated as stage 4 (cirrhosis), which I assume is what you mean by "level". Not as easy as with less damage, but it's doable.

In all due respect, internists in general know squat about HCV and hopefully your specialist should give you a much more accurate appraisal of your situation. Just make sure you're actually going to a "liver specialist" which is a term sometimes thrown around loosely here and elsewhere. A liver specialist is a "hepatologist", not a GI or a GI who has a Hep C practice, nor is it an "infectious disease expert". In your position, you really only want to see a "Hepatologist". They can usually be found at your larger, teaching hospitals. And btw, Cirrhosis can be reversed in many up to several stages with successful treatment.

-- Jim
My name is Dan,
I participated in a study at the Nat'l Institute of Health (NIH) in Bethesda Maryland
I had cirrhosis which progressed into cancer and was on peg/rib for 1 year. This study was performed with 100 people. Studies has confirmed that peg/rib treatment does not slow nor reverse the progression of cirrhosis. I strongly suggest you seek getting on the transplant list ASAP. Please by all means do not take my word for it but please at least talk to a transplant hospital immediately.....GOD BLESS!!.....Dan  
Bleeding varices pose an immediate, life threatening hazard that can often be successfully treated Gastroenterologists using endoscopes are able to apply rubber bands to seal off the bleeding on the ruptured varix, as well as to deflate the distention of these veins A procedure called transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) involves creating a new passageway for blood by inserting a tube, or shunt, through the scarred liver to take pressure off the varices. Drugs also may be prescribed to reduce distention of varices. If the liver is too scarred to function, a transplant is the only treatment........Dan
I have stage 4 liver cirrhosis (compensated), geno 1a, treated with SOC for 96wks and cleared the virus.SVR now 2 years.  My hepatologist did not give me much hope, b/c cirrhotics are hard to treat. It worked, the virus is gone. No one can tell you whether the meds will work , if you are healthy enough and are followed closely by a GOOD hepatologist or GI doc,you may want to consider treatment.  Good Luck....Leah
Hi, I am Dan. This information is very, very interesting to me because I was treated with peg/rib and it did not work. My Dr's told me that it does not work. I am totally interested in SOC...wht is it? The last thing I want to do is give someone the wrong information.
My cirrhosis progressed into cancer then I was transplanted. My treatment failed according to my Dr's. This was a study. Was I misled........Dan
SOC is standard of care tx. I was tx'd with pegasys and copegasys (Roche) in a study and cleared the virus between 12 and 16 wks., I did extended tx. due to my cirrhosis and was allowed to because i tolerated tx. well.  Chirrotics are much harder to tx.,  but it is not impossible. Quite a few stage 4's on this forum have svr'd.  This much greatly lessens our risk of developing liver cancer and allows us to go on with our lives.  I have been told i can expect to live a normal life span barring no complications.  My liver size has returned to normal,fatigue and joint pain are gone.  I have 2 tiny varicies which are checked by yearly EGD. I have blood work every 6mths (cbc, cmp. afp & clotting factors), i have an ultrasound of my liver every 6 mths and a yrly MRI checking for liver cancer.  Why it works on some and not others is a mystery.
I'm in the same boat as you are.  I did SOC.  It didn't work. As of my last visit...my Dr. said he wants me to try the new drug when approved.  If things get worse before that, maybe a trail.
Good Luck to all of us.